China is censoring these sites...

Discussion in 'China' started by skip, Feb 1, 2007.

1. skip

skip Founder Administrator

Let's put together a list of websites that are currently being blocked by the Chinese government. This site is one of course, but there are many others. If you get blocked by China's government, try using a proxy server.

You can use the links below to test and see how much is being blocked in China.

http://www.angrychineseblogger.blog-city.com/

Here's a mirror site that may work.

http://www.20six.co.uk/angrychineseblogger

Please add more sites as you come across them.

2. skip

3. amourcathy

amourcathy Member

Skip , i cant log in VOA. but i can log in the BBC , the china govt has blocked the WIKI for about 2 years ago and i miss it a lot , lucky that the Answers.com which also could fnd just exactly the same as WIKI .

And also due to after the TaiWan earth broke the undersea cable which said need almost a month to fix , i think that s why i still couldnt log in some site as before .

4. amourcathy

amourcathy Member

i heard proxy server but i dont know how to use it and maybe i am lucky one for i can still log in this site easily which i live south of China , Guangzhou . i bet could be some buddies are too busy to log in the site , then giving an excuse ofsaying they cant . For we are using the same govt controlling internet system in china , So why cant they log in this site but i could even i was in other city in china ?

Just curious !

5. amourcathy

amourcathy Member

Do you mean these 2 site also blocked in china ? Then i am lucky gal. for i can log in both of them. hee hee ..

6. skip

If you read the article on Wikipedia linked above, you'll see that the censorship is sporadic and localized. So some people have no problems where as others can't access. So it's unpredictable. It's also automatic. No one is actually reviewing the banned sites, it's more a matter of keyword filtering.

Apparently a lot of the censorship is local/regional, rather than National. I understand there are many gov't agencies that are competing for control of the Internet in China, and so there is no one policy on what should be censored.

Thanks for responding to this thread and indicating what sites you can access because it is hopeful that more Chinese can come here.

I do hope that as time goes by, China will ease up on these censorship rules and realize that a free, democratic society requires the free flow of information.

I actually respect the Chinese for what they've been able to achieve. To unify 1.3 billion people under one gov't is unprecendented, and almost unimaginable.

And I can understand that the means used to achieve this wasn't the best, but certainly the results are fantastic. China has come so far so fast, and it's now going to leap-frog ahead of the west in some ways.

Your political system definitely needs help. We can only pray that a new generation of Chinese will have new ideas and can put those into action.

I think many Chinese don't understand why the westerners focus on these issues. It's because we do care what happens in China, and because ultimately how your gov't treats it's own people is reflected in your foreign policy which affects all of us.

Soon China will own most of the US because you give us goods and we send you our "treasure". So in effect the future of America will be determined to some extent by YOUR leaders and their decisions, just as in the past what America's leaders did affected much of the world.

So China's responsibility now extends BEYOND its borders, and China now affects the whole world. So we have a vested interest in what happens in China, and what your leaders think and do. And this becomes more important every day.

Individual Chinese might not feel discussing Tibet or Tianamen Square Massacre is important today, but as a Buddhist, I have a lot of interest in what happens to Tibet (and what has already been done there by China).

As a proponent of Free Speech (what this site is about), and an activist, I marveled at the Student movement in China that lead to the great protests in Tianamen Square. It was an historic moment. Unfortunately your leaders let you down, and did what was done in the US back in the 1960s. It was worse in Beijing of course, but the attitude of the gov't was exactly the same as what we had in Chicago in 1968.

And of course this thread is about censorship, which is not just something unique to China, but exists nearly everywhere to some degree. In fact, here in the US there has been gov't censorship since Pres. Bush took office. US news agencies must run things by US gov't censors before they can tell the public. Many stories have been covered up under our president, and you see the results of a public that has been misled and lied to by our leader.

So we have great empathy for China's situation, and those who are activists feel kinship with the Chinese student activists who are still to this day being persecuted in China.

7. mai

mai Member

sites are blocks by ISP (local internet provider) which means that a site blocked in wuhan might be open in tianjin...

torpark is a proxyserver , download it , intsall and you can see all sites

8. leeshing

leeshing Member

At first glance after i acessed the first website given above, i was very angry, because i saw the picture above the webpage is map of china that does not include Taiwan as part of it(Taiwan is in grey colour in the map, see?). There is only one China in the world, no matter how Chinese government behaves.

9. recklessrick

recklessrick Member

I keep having problems with youtube, some days are good, some not.Is ayone else experiencing difficulties?

10. zjqdarren

zjqdarren Member

skip 's words are great
    i'm chinese
    i feel your words are vere fair

11. mai

mai Member

just an update
    BBC is not blocked these days

12. Deranged

Deranged Senor Member

i met a chinese dude in an airport once who said china wasn't that bad. he seemed pretty used to defending china.

13. Carlfloydfan

Carlfloydfan Travel lover

Hi Skip

I am in China right now. So far I think I am pretty lucky in regards to what I have been able to see on the web. Nothing blocked.

I could have sworn you said this site was actually banned in a few countries, China included, but maybe I am thinking of something else.

14. Vas Deferens

Vas Deferens Guest

Facebook and Youtube are definitely blocked, a lot of blogs are as well, not to mention Pirate Bay and any good torrent provider...but I have no trouble with BBC, Voice of America, actually every news site has been fine...and this site is not blocked.

15. vietnam travel

vietnam travel Member

I also can't see by youtube. Finding measure

16. Nyxx

Nyxx HELLO STALKER

17. vietnam travel

vietnam travel Member

Leeshing, if those webs are blocked, we shouldn't visit them.