Childhood Paranoia

Discussion in 'Paranoid?' started by RavenTheDarkAngel, Jan 12, 2005.

1. RavenTheDarkAngel

RavenTheDarkAngel Member

As a child I was always overly scared of "mosters". Like I remember having to sleep in my mother's bed until I was like 9 years old. I was absolutly petrafied to stay in my room. Like whenever I was in bed at night I felt like someone was stairing at me. It was so bad that I would fight sleep and end up staying up all night. I remember feeling my heart beating and the adrenaline inside me screaming for me to run out of there. I felt like something was going to get me. I just don't know why.

Whenever it was at night and I was walking around I'd constantly feel like someting was behind me. I'd turn around with such fear and see nothing only to feel like it some how was behind me again. I'd run to a room that had a mirror in it just to see my reflection and make absolutly sure there wasn't anything behind me. I'd try to tell myself it's just my imagination and try to get myself to see there was nothing by using the mirror but even looking into my reflection I still had that same feeling that someone's eyes were on me.

Is that normal fear for children? I just always felt it was too instese. I still feel like that now sometimes but I've gotten used to it. What do you think?

~Raven

2. Billy Brown

Billy Brown Member

not only was i the same way, but i can honestly say that i really haven't gotten over that paranoia. just a few months ago i was walking home late at night and i had this terrifying sensation that a "monster" was lurking behind me. i mean, damn, im 22 years old and i still occasionally find myself weary of this shit--particularly witches. my worst childhood fear was that one night i would be riding in a car and a witch would pull up alongside my window on her broom. even now when i'm on a late night road trip i still get shivers thinking about it. i think these fears will carry on with me (and other like minded children) forever, because if they were to have magically disappeared, it would have happened already. my past encounters with ghosts have also made it hard to dismiss this "childhood" paranoia because i can accept that unexplainable paranormal type things do happen, so there is a chance that one day a "monster" might eventually reveal itself to me. i cant say it's impossible.

3. weaselpop

weaselpop Member

Again, not to the same extent, and I still get the same feeling. I sometimes have to run to my bed when I turn out the lights at night, even when I know of course nothing's there. My dad has the same problem, whenever there's only him in the house and it's dark, he has to go into each room, turn the lights on and check that nobody's in there.

When your a child expecially you get convinced about certain things that you KNOW aren't true, you just can't help feeling they are. I had obsessive compulsive disorder when I was quite small, and it's the same principles, but these things are something that you can live with as a child, but as an adult would be very destructive.

4. piscessunlibramoon19

piscessunlibramoon19 Member

When I was 4, I got really tired and went to bed early. I'd been pretty upset that day for some reason. That night, when I woke up from a nightmare, I was scared. But suddenly I felt peaceful because a warm hand touched my back. I looked up to see if it was my dad, but no one was there. Since then, even though it felt nice to know someone understood my fear, I am still pretty paranoid and see and hear things that aren't there as well as sensing a presence and sometimes even feeling someone touch me only to find out no one is around. Anyone have any thoughts?

5. Archemetis

Archemetis Senior Member

you have to decide to let go of fear...or dont but its alot easier once you convince yourself there is nothing in this universe to fear (not even monsters)...it sounds simple, and ultimatly it is. as creaters of reality, our choices shape our future, so choose to be unafraid.

thats what i had to do. i used to be a pretty paranoid guy myself, only it wasnt monsters, it was shapeshifting aliens that were following me. (and for a while i was really convinced they actually were)

6. wolf_at_door

wolf_at_door Senior Member

When I was 4, I’ve heard my parents talking about the danger of a new ice age. I thought the ice age would freeze, not only the water, but the whole atmosphere, and I thought it could happen sudden, from one second to another, with no warning.

When I was 6, I was afraid of God. A psychopathic teacher told us that God keeps an eye on us all the time. There was no place to hide, and you would never know if/when you’ve done something wrong. You just knew that he would take a terrible revenge. Luckily I found out that it was bullshit, but I know that many people unfortunately still suffer because of that trauma all their lifetime.

When I was 7, I felt at my left chest all the time. Just to make sure that my heart was still beating. That was right after I visited my grandma at the hospital, the day before her cancer finally had its victory over her. To let children see someone dying is not a good idea, I think. My clearest memory of her, is a very skinny person in a hospital bed, yellow caused by renal failure, strongly hallucinating also.

love,

-wolf.

7. Billy Brown

Billy Brown Member

haha! i did that too, and i was constantly afraid that i was going to forget how to breathe...i can't even count the number of times i hyperventilated as a kid. damn...i was one stressed out child. monsters, witches, heart attacks, breathing difficulties...no wonder i'm so effed up...

8. interval_illusion

interval_illusion Deceased

i used to be terrified that the house was gonna catch on fire, that someone was gonna break in and stab me, that there was a witch in my closet or that freddy kruger was under my bed.

9. bsabbath

bsabbath Member

yeah for me i'm not too bad btu everyonce in a while if i go to the bathroom in the night i leave my light on that way i can make sure no one or nothing is sitting in my bed waiting for me

10. yemforbin

yemforbin Member

just the other night i was freaked out cause it felt like someone was at the end of my bed staring at me. and my worst childhood fear would have to be seeing a face in my window at night. it still scares the hell out of me, i have to force myself not to think about it.

11. Myranya

Myranya Slytherin Girl

I've never been near that scared, but I was afraid of witches and monsters as a small child, sometimes had nightmares or was afraid to go to sleep... and of course the 'monsters don't exist' thing really doesn't convince anyone at that age... Then my father stopped trying to tell me they didn't exist but instead told me about good monsters, and good witches... so I befriended the witch (fairytale witch kind, not wiccans :)) I believed to be in my room. I must've been five or six at the time, and I haven't had nightmares about monsters ever since. Now of course I know a good lot of those monsters don't exist, although I do believe there are some things we can't always explain... but I still love 'monsters'... vampire movies where Dracula wins over the people who're trying to kill him, other stories where either all or some of the typical 'bad guys' show there's more to them.

The only thing that scares me now are real world fears -burglars, or fire... Supernatural monsters, well, in spite of all my rational adult thoughts telling me they don't exist, I'm still secretly *hoping* to find one in my room one day...

12. ArgScalawag

ArgScalawag Member

When I was little, I had an overwhelming fear of the dark and the things that lurked within it. Mostly the supernatural and aliens. When I was in a room by myself, regardless if the lights were on and off or if people were in the other room, I would curl up into a ball and not move, hoping someone would come into the room soon enough.

Also, as weird as this sounds, when I was little, I didn't know how to sleep. I didn't know you had to close your eyes, so I would just lay in bed with my eyes open until sleep eventually overtook my body. This made me sleep with my eyes open, and it freaked my dad out whenever he would come wake me up. Of course, the next day I was completely zonked. I think that this is what made me an introverted, quiet, space cadet child >this can't be said for me today<. I was too tired to care. Nehoo, while I was laying there in bed, I felt a presence of three beings hovering over my bed. One was a ghost, one was a devil, and for the life of me, I don't know what the third one was. I think maybe he had black hair and a goatee. I have no clue though.

When I was little, my dad was watching Ghost Busters. I happened to walk into the room when this little boy named oscar was dangling on the ledge of a building. A ghost on a mortorcycle, hovering in the air by the moon then comes and kidnaps the boy. This ghost scared me shitless. I was completely terrified and wished I would forgot about ever seeing that part of the movie, but I never did.

13. SilverClover14

SilverClover14 Senior Member

I've always had an intense fear of someone breaking into my house to hurt me. I mean, even as recently as last year I've had a panic attack over something like that (it was at a friend's house... we were home alone and it was stormy and we were convinced that the black van parked in front of her house had a rapist in it to come and get us after someone kept calling the house and hanging up).

When I was really little, I would be in bed by 7 or 8, but on the rare occasions where my parents went to bed before me I would cryyyyyyy and cryyyyyyy until my mom came to sit next to me until I was asleep.

14. Edward G.

Edward G. Edwardson

ahah...when my brother was little, he was absolutely convinced there was a demon named "fruitdeer" that lived in the closet and talked to him at night.

15. GroovyMay

GroovyMay Member

when i was little and still now my mom used to tell me from as far back as i canremember that someone was gonna get me and take me away and kill me, i remember one time walking home and this car pulled up and i ran to the closest apartment building entrance and just curled upo in a little ball and cried thinking they were gonna get me but they never came, i am also very scared of the dark especially in other ppls houses, i always feel another presence even if there isnt anyone there, or i feel like someone is behind me when i go to the laundry room and i run home cause i am so scared, i have always been a scared and paranoid child, i slept in my moms room until i was ten cause i couldnt sleep in my room,

16. GroovyMay

GroovyMay Member

but i think its normal for a child to be scared so whatever but i hate it

17. zdog123dog

zdog123dog Member

Of course that's normal i don't know anyone who wasn't afraid of monsters and ghosts when they were little. I always had to go and sleep in my moms bed when i was little because i was freaking out.

18. RasLevi

RasLevi Member

I'm afraid of any cars moving slowly if I'm walking alone. I'm afraid of only seeing black/white cars if I'm outside of town late at night. I'm afraid of being home alone or at my grandma's alone. But I can handle being in a friend's house alone. Weird...

19. I was afraid of Frankenstein when I was really little. I had nightmares about him stealing me away. I had one recurring nightmare where there were three doors, and I'd invariably choose the one which Frankenstein was behind, and he would get me.

Then as I got older, it was Dracula for some reason. Always afraid he would just ceaselessly be coming to get me. No matter how slowly; he'd just keep coming.

20. Beatbird

Beatbird Member

when i was little, i was convinced that devils and demons were lurking under the bed, and if I went close, they would grab my leg, so i would always jump on the bed..like a running jump or something.