Childern and dreadlocks

Discussion in 'Dreadlocks' started by Earthy Mama, Jan 6, 2005.

1. Earthy Mama

Earthy Mama Feel my wrath... ;)

I've been thinking about this alot lately. My oldest son's hair is getting longer and I've been thinking about letting it dread. My question to you guys is this: When you have childern what will you do with their hair? Let it dread or let them come to an age where they can decide for themselves? If you have childern what did you do? By the way, I'm not asking this to help me decide what I'm doing because I already know. Just interested in what others with dreadlocks think about this. What I've decided to do is let his hair grow until he can speak a little bit better so I can explain the process and my views on them. From there I will let him decide what he would like to do. After explaining it to him I'd hope (if he choose to let his hair dread) he'd start to have his own feelings towards them and realize that they need special care and attention and be ready to work towards them. I decided it this way because I want to raise my childern to be indivuals who make their own choices in life whether if it be to be like me or to be my complete opposite I want it to be his choice.

2. JohnnyATL

JohnnyATL Banned

how do you pronounce your older childs name? i was wondering both children have awesome names.

3. Earthy Mama

Earthy Mama Feel my wrath... ;)

Thank you! Croix is pronounced "ker-oi". Have you heard of the island St. Croix? It is said like that. Croix is the french word for Cross. Though, it is not pronouced the same way as the french word!

4. honeyhannah

honeyhannah herbuhslovuh

i've seen kids with dreads and i think it's okay to decide for them, they'll let you know if they don't like it

5. JohnnyATL

JohnnyATL Banned

Thats awesome my nephews name is Call Brownlow and i think its pretty cool also

6. mtnhighgirl

mtnhighgirl Member

I have an 8 year old daughter and she's not too keen on my dreads. She likes her dad's, but she's not sure about mine yet. A while ago I was having problems getting her to brush her hair and a dread started to form. I pointed this out to her and she began brushing her hair like mad. :) She calls herself a flower child/hippy, and she is a very funky kid, but she's not into dreads. I personally would wait until he was older, so he could make his decision on his own. Just my opinion. :)

7. moontime

moontime mountain girl

Yeah I would wait till my kid was older and let it be their decision, after having explained the pros and cons.

8. WayfaringStranger

WayfaringStranger Corporate Slave #34

i would say no, its kinda mean and youre gonna hear it from every babylonian you see, and that might affect his attitude as he grows up. also kids are messier than adults, so theres gonna be all types of junk in em, and schools tend to have lice outbrakes, so you all end up loosin youre dreads.

9. PhOeNiX_fIrE

PhOeNiX_fIrE Member

Me and my boyfriend both have dreads, and we've talked about this. What we decided is to let her get old enough to choose for herself, and if she wants them, let her have them. I was worried about the lice thing in the schools, but I heard tea tree oil helps alot with prevention.
    cheers

10. KyndMama07

KyndMama07 Member

So, I'm bumping this years old thread. I think I am going to let them decide for themselves. Though it's going to break my heart to brush their hair for the first time. I would be super worried about lice too though.