Chicken soup how about it?

Discussion in 'Soups' started by groovydude, Sep 30, 2005.

1. groovydude

groovydude Member

I've never been able to find a really good recipe for my favorite soup, so if anyone has a recipe for chicken soup that doesn't involve buying a packet of soup mix post it here and I'll try as many as I can and post the results here.

I promise

Go on what is the worst that could happen?

2. kiss_the_cook

kiss_the_cook Member

cambles chicken noddle soup with diced wendies crispy chicken nugets and a dash of creamy ranch dressing

3. cousinit

cousinit Member

Im to lazy to make my own soup broth, but this basicaly the way I do it

-two cans of cambles low salt chicken soup broth
    -one large can of diced tromatoes
    -celery, much as you want
    -1 onion
    -a few finly diced jalepnios
    -couplee of cut carots
    -whatever other vedgie you want to throw in.
    -a couple of bay leafs
    -basil to taste
    -I quite often use barly intead of noodles
    -black pepper to taste
    -a couple of diced chicken breasts

serve wiht butterd sourdough bread...mmmmmmm

fry the chicken wiht onion and celery and hot peppers, when cooked add the broth and diced tomatoes spices barly etc. and let it simmer for few
    hours, be sure to remoove the bay leaves before serving,

----
    edit

I forgot to mention you need to cook the barly before you put it in the soup, otherwise it will suck up all the liquid

4. Dariah

Dariah Member

i like chicken soup with boiled carrots, potatos, bell peppers, and a hint of lime.

5. Miss_Beatle

Miss_Beatle Beatlemaniac

I like pretty much and kind of chicken noddle soup, although I take the chicken out because i'm a vegetarian.

6. Gaston

Gaston Loup Garou

1 chicken
    3 quarts water
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 to 1 cups white rice
    3 lemons

Boil the chicken in the lightly salted water until it falls off the bone, skimming the froth now and then and adding back water if needed. Let cool until you can handle the chicken, take chicken out and remove bones and liver (I consider the liver as a snack for the cook), chop into 1/2 inch dice and return to pot. If you used the gizzard and heart, chop them finely and add. Add rice, return to a boil until rice is done. Season with juice squeezed from the lemons to taste, add black pepper and salt at the table if you like. It shouldn't be as salty as canned soup, you'll lose some flavor if you use very much salt.

That's a Greek recipe. If you've never had it before the lemon is a bit odd at first, but it's the only chicken soup I make now.

7. groovydude

groovydude Member

Well I tried it sorry to say I found it thin and slightly bitter but the 3 lemons I used were pretty big. I's say that some lemon would go well in a chicken soup though. over all It was ok and if someone served it to me I'd eat it with no complaints but I don't think I'll cook it again in but I do have a large pot of it so I will be eating it also my cat seems to like it too. Thanks for the recipe. I'll take the next one now please no recipes that use tinned soup it's a little too much like cheating.

8. jnorton47

jnorton47 Cosmic Traveler

2 plump chicken breast, bone in, skin on.
    3 quarts (approx.) chicken broth. (Store bourght is okay. Home made is better.)
    6 to 8 green onions, chopped.
    Fresh ginger, about thumb size or a little larger. Peeled and diced into small pieces.
    about a tablespoon of dried sage, and thyme
    2 carrots, sliced into disk about 1/4" thick
    2 celery stalks, sliced into section about 1/4" thick
    1 cup of dry egg noodles

Place chicken breast into a large pot with green onions, ginger, sage, and thyme. Cover with chicken broth to about 1" above the chicken. Place over medium heat until broth just starts to boil. Cover pot and remove for heat. Let stand covered for 45 min. At the end of the 45 min. remove the chicken breast from the broth. Retain the broth. Allow chicken breast to cool enough to handle. Strain broth, discard green onions and ginger, and return broth to the pot. Add carrots and celery to the broth and bring to a boil. Cook for 10 min. Remove bone and skin from chicken breast and chop chicken breast into about 1" square pieces. Add chicken to the broth and allow to return to a boil. Add noodles reduce heat and cook until noodles are done. Enjoy. <(^_^)>

9. Olympic-Bullshitter

Olympic-Bullshitter Banned

3 dried wood ears or 4 dried mushrooms 20 dried lily buds 1 boneless, skinless chicken breast half 1 tablespoon dry cooking sherry 4 cups chicken broth 1/2 cup sliced bamboo shoots cut into matchstick pieces 4 ounces bean curd, drained and cut into 1/2-cubes 3 table spoons distilled white vinegar 1 tablespoon soy sauce 1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper 2 tablespoons cornstarch 3 tablespoons water 1 egg, lightly beaten 1 teaspoon sesame oil 2 green onions, cut into 1 1/2-inch slivers. Place wood ears and lily buds in seoarate bowls. Cover with hot water. Let stand for 30 minutes. Drain and squeeze out excess water. Pinch out hard knobs from center of wood ears and discard. Cut wood ears into thin strips. Cut off and discard hard tips from lily buds. Cut chicken crosswise into thin slices; sprinkle with sherry. Let stand for 15 minutes. Bring chicken broth to a boil in 3-quart saucepan. Add wood ears, lily buds, chicken, and bamboo shoots. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 3 minutes. Add bean curd, vinegar, soy sauce, and white pepper. Cook for 3 minutes more. Blend cornstarch and water in a small cup, stir into soup. Cook, stirring , until slightly thickened. Turn off heat. Stirring constantly, slowly pour egg into soup. Stir in sesame oil and onions.

10. moondrizzle

moondrizzle Member

When I was a kid, one of my teachers used to read us chicken soup for the soul...
    I miss that :(

11. Heat

Heat Smile, it's contagious! :) Lifetime Supporter

1 small chicken. A large pot of water and drop the chicken in. Add 1 whole onion, a bay leaf and half a lemon, seeds removed.

Boil, then reduce till it is a rolling boil only and cook for about 1 to 2 hours depending on the size of the chicken.

Remove the chicken to cool a little so that you can pull the meat off. Remove Bay leaf, onion and lemon. While the veggies are starting to cook pull the meat off the bird and throw it in the pot.

Add in the following as you like
    4 or 5 carrots diced
    4 or 5 ribs of celery diced
    1 medium onion diced
    6 diced tomatoes, or one can of diced
    salt and pepper to taste

I usually throw in 2 handfuls of orzo as I like it better than rice.

You can also throw in shredded zucchini. If you like sage or savory you could also add a little to the soup as it will give it a nice flavour. Only use a little though as they are strong flavours.

Cook for about another 30 minutes or until veggies are tender. Just before it is done throw in some chopped parsley.

If we are not feeling the best and I am making it due to having colds or flu, I also throw in a couple of minced cloves of garlic and some fresh mint that is shredded just before serving.

12. Olympic-Bullshitter

Olympic-Bullshitter Banned

2 cups chicken (pulled off of a roaster, chopped boiled chicken, or canned chicken) 1/2 cup diced white onion 1 tablespoon olive oil 2 cans quartered artichoke hearts 3 cups broth 2 lemons - 1 zested and then squeezed for its juice, 1 sliced 1/8 inch wedges - use bottled lemon juice if fresh are not available 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes 1/2 teaspoon thyme salt to taste. In a soup pot, saute the onion in olive oil until soft. Add artichokes hearts, broth, and chicken. Using a microplane zester/grater or a kitchen rasp, remove the top layer of rind of one lemon into the pot. Half the lemon and squeeze juice into soup. Slice the second lemon and place in pot along with the red pepper flakes, thyme and salt. Simmer for 20-30 minutes to really get the infused flavors of lemon and red pepper.

13. moondrizzle

moondrizzle Member

1.Buy it in a packet
    2.Heat it up
    3.Enjoy

14. RainbowUnicorn

RainbowUnicorn Member

Well, here's something that I made this afternoon--I call it chicken noodle stew--here it is:

Chicken Noodle Stew

1 package Reames yolk-free noodles
    1 package frozen stew vegetables
    5 chicken breast tenders
    1 package brown gravy mix (I used Southeastern Mills brand)
    Water

Cook noodles according to package directions; drain and place in crock pot. While noodles are cooking, place chicken breast tenders in microwave-safe casserole dish (put some water in the dish along with the chicken--it helps to cook the chicken) and cook in microwave for 10 minutes. After chicken is cooked, cut up and add to noodles in crock pot. Cook stew vegetables in microwave according to package directions; add to contents of crock pot and mix well. Fill casserole dish with water; add brown gravy mix and mix well. Add to crock pot; cover everything. Plug crock pot in and set on High for 3 to 4 hours. Enjoy!

15. GHOSTCRAB

GHOSTCRAB Banned

Best served with a big chunk of crusty whole grain bread and some coarse ground black pepper (a lot for my taste). Canja is made from a whole chicken, some vegetables and white rice!

16. alwayscrackers

alwayscrackers Member

wait until you've roasted, enjoyed and eaten a chicken meal.:2thumbsup:

then take the carcass of the chicken, any bones and left over skin, find the biggest saucepan you can, add however much water you want to this to cover the bones, whatever veg you fancy, chopped carrots, onion, celery, couple of garlic cloves chopped and bring it to a light simmer, cover and cook for 2 or 3 hours or more hours, the longer the better but make sure that the liquid doesn't reduce too much. keep an eye on this.
    strain off all the bones and veg keeping the stock.
    add a couple of chopped potaoes to this, it will help to thicken it.
    simmer gently again.
    in the meantime whilst this is doing, pick off any meat from the carcass and bones and set aside to put back in the stock later.
    when the spuds are cooked mash them into the liquid, add some sweet peas and any seasoning that it needs, any chicken meat that has been salvaged form the boiled carcass, maybe some tomatoe puree, simmer for about ten minutes or so more and then eat and enjoy.
    the secret to any non vegetarian soup is getting a good stock from bones. :2thumbsup:

(rice can also be added, or pearl barley is good too)

17. mtr25500

mtr25500 Banned

Me too!

18. BeachBall

BeachBall Nosey old moo

Spot on! :mickey: