Chicken Pox!!!

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by hippychickmommy, Jun 4, 2006.

1. hippychickmommy

hippychickmommy Sugar and Spice

Wow! 25! I was 5 years old when I got them! I couldn't imagine having gotten them at 25! But at least your case wasn't too-too bad.

2. hippychickmommy

Well he woke up in good spirits this morning. A few more pox showing, and he's itching, but says it's not too bad. He keeps saying "wow, everyone is in school right now but I'm home! That's cool!" Kids!

3. hippychickmommy

Yeah, I noticed this morning that many of them were fluid filled, whereas yesterday they weren't, and he did have a shower last night. I need to get to the store and get some Calamine for him, since I don't have any here at the moment. That stuff is fantastic, and I know that's what my mom used on me.

I was reading last night about how some people actually get them in their eyes, mouths, vaginas...man, I couldn't imagine that! :eek:

4. hippychickmommy

Oh dear, that sounds awful. If my kids were running a 105 degree temp, I'd be a total mess. Heck, I get freaked when it's a little over 102.

I sure hope my kids don't get them that bad! I think my oldest son is going to end up with a mild case, but I'm a little concerned about the twins with them being little and all. So far, no signs for them yet, but from what I was researching last night, it can take up to 10-14 days for an outbreak to occur once they have been exposed to the pox. So if that's the case, we could have another two weeks before it hits them. It would be wonderful if it didn't, but those kids pass everything back and forth, so I'm not holding my breath. Plus I read that people exposed who have never had the pox have a 80-90% chance of becoming infected. So the odds aren't exactly in our favor.

5. hippychickmommy

Well that's good that you had a mild case!

My hubby has a scar on his forehead too from when he had the chicken pox and kept scratching too much!

6. YankNBurn

YankNBurn Owner

Just avoid letting them scratch is all, that can create an infection and accellerate the spreading and something about shingles. I knew an older guy that got shingles and he was blinded by them for almost a year before they cleared up.

I feel for you, tough gig all the way around and when they are so young its tough on both of ya.

7. hippychickmommy

Thanks! Yes, both my hubby and I have had them thankfully, and yes, I pretty much had resigned myself to the fact that the twins will end up with them too! :)

8. hippychickmommy

That's what I'm most worried about, is if the twins get them. They're only 3 years old, and it will be a heck of a time keeping them from scratching! I told my older son, he's 6, not to scratch, and he's been doing a good job so far of not doing so. He says he's itchy, but he starts jumping and dancing around when he feels itchy. He seems to be finding this humorous at the moment, which is a 360 turn from how he felt last night!

9. hippychickmommy

See, my oldest son had a different ped when he was a baby, and that ped suggested I give him the chicken pox vacccine. Well I did end up having him get it, but the doctor told me that there was a small risk that he could still end up with the pox, but if he got them, it would be a milder case.

With my twins, we saw a different ped, and he recommended that we NOT get the vaccine, that we allow the kids to be exposed to it to build up an immunity, plus he said it was better for my daughter to be exposed to it earlier on instead of later on down the road when she would be wanting to have children, since never being exposed can carry risks during pregnancy.

So the twins weren't vaccinated.

10. hippychickmommy

Me too!

Good luck to you guys as well, hope you don't get any more your way!

11. hippychickmommy

Thanks humblebee! I love hearing everybody's pox stories, how it was for them. I had pretty much put my experience out of my mind until last night when my oldest son had the markings on him!

12. hippychickmommy

Oh that's awful! The poor guys! I sure hope my kids don't end up with it that bad! :eek: But you're right, at least it's all over with and you won't have to worry about them getting it later on done the line when it can be more serious for them!

13. YankNBurn

YankNBurn Owner

most kids dont get the shot, I think honestly the shot only offers a 50/50 chance of not getting them, I think the old shit was keep em out of direct sunlight, lots of that stupid pink lotion shit, cover the hands so they dont scratch in thier sleep, feed em well and lots of love. Better to get em young, than older. I was 3 when I got the mumps and 4 when them pox hit, I lived and normal for the most part (she is like oh god my kids might turn out like him,lol) Best thing we all have now is the web to look for advice on topics.

14. hippychickmommy

Wow, that's amazing that your younger son didn't end up getting them!

This morning they were fluid-filled, while last night they were just the bumps. I called his school first thing this morning and the secretary felt so bad for him, saying how she knew he had worked so hard all year and how this week was all fun and rewards for his hard work. That's the worst part of this, he was really looking forward to this week. But oh well, what can you do? I've been doing lots of research for projects and fun stuff for the kids to do this week, so hopefully it will help at least a little bit. :)

I need to get some Calamine lotion and a few other things, so I'm trying to figure out how I can accomplish that today. It's so hard for me to round up a sitter, I'm telling you! My hubby is at work until 5...I need to get to the store before that. Hmmm....I guess I need to make some phone calls.

15. hippychickmommy

Okay, so direct sunlight is bad then for chicken pox? I didn't know that. That's good to know!

16. YankNBurn

YankNBurn Owner

Well thats what was said back in the day but hell that could be just an old tale you know. I mean it cant hurt obviously but might want to google treatments for chicken pox.

17. hippychickmommy

Yeah, I've been on a researching rampage since last night. But mainly I was just looking up signs, symptoms, and pictures of what the pox look like. Man, I nearly freaked when I saw some of the pictures of chicken pox on the google image search! :eek:

18. YankNBurn

YankNBurn Owner

Here is some for ya

19. hippychickmommy

Wow! Thankyou so much! [​IMG]

20. YankNBurn

YankNBurn Owner

anytime