Chicago sights to see.

Discussion in 'Illinois' started by *MAMA*, Aug 13, 2013.

1. *MAMA*

*MAMA* Perfectly Imperfect

Hello! I'm heading out that way to visit family in October, and also visiting an old friend. My friend is there for college and hasn't taken the time to explore the city much yet. Any suggestions on sights to see, or things to do?

2. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

My brother is somewhere there too visiting his family in law. Poor fellow, finally going to the states but has to stay with his wife's family most of the time :biggrin: :D He was thinking of visiting Chicago too since it's the closest city of interest. Now that I think of it, of all US cities Chicago would be one of the highest on my priority list to go to anyway :cheers2:

3. Sig

Sig Senior Member

How much of a history fan are you?

4. *MAMA*

Nice! The family I'm visiting is in Indianapolis, but Chicago is where my friend is. I can sneak away for a day to check it out. :cheers2:
    I'm a total history/museum geek.

5. Sig

Sig Senior Member

6. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

He will sneak away for a few days as well for sure but the people he's visiting are at a farm in Wisconsin's countryside.

7. *MAMA*

That looks way cool. I'll definitely put that on the list.
    Oh, nice :). It's gorgeous out there.

8. *MAMA*

Bump for being in Chi-town :D

if anyone has more suggestions on sights to see, let me know!

9. iamsol

iamsol Member

Hell...three months late seeing this thread. If ever in chicago again i can suggest lots of places.

10. *MAMA*

I saw a lot of cool stuff in the short time I was there. The church Capone attended, a couple jazz bars, we walked the streets at night, house of blues, and a bunch of other stuff. I'll be going again this year some time. What are your suggestions?

11. RubySoho6

RubySoho6 Organized Chaos

Damn, I wasn't a member here yet. Mama, if you ever get back to Chicago let me know. It's like my 2nd home. I'm there all the time. I actually know downtown Chicago better than I know the downtown area of the city I live in. I'm headed to Chicago next month. There is a really fun shopping district that I think you would love up by Wrigley Field.

12. RubySoho6

Hop on the red line to Howard. Get off on Belmont and head east a block or 2. There is a vintage store called the Hollywood Mirror on Belmont. It's badass. Then if you walk North on Clark there are a bunch of fun shops. The Alley is one of my faves. A little further north there is a store called Strange Cargo where you can get your own shirts made. They have all kinds of cool shit in there too. If you walk a few more blocks north on Clark you will run into Wrigley Field. Home of the Chicago Cubs!! I'm a baseball nut so I love Wrigley. I go there usually once a year for a game. If you walk up Halsted instead of Clark that is "boys town". The gay district. There are some fun shops up that way too. Look at a map and you will see how the streets go. Clark is kind of diagonal. Halstead is north and south. Belmont is east and west. It's all in the same area.

I get bored with the museums but my favorite museum is a really small one on Michigan Ave across from Grant Park. It's the Museum of Contemporary Photography. I love photos so that one is my favorite. They always have different photographers on display and its small enough that it doesn't eat up your whole day. While you are in that area you can see Buckingham Fountain in Grant park. That was the fountain that was on the opening credits of Married with Children. There is also Millenium Park with the Bean. Navy Pier is fun too.

There is a restaurant right on the river on Dearborn I think. It's called Dicks Last Resort. It's a chain but it has THE BEST drink. Order a Trash Can Punch or 4 and you'll be feeling pretty good. Don't bother eating there. The food isn't great but that drink is pretty amazing. You can walk north about a block and get to Harry Carays steakhouse. That is the place to eat. Yum.

Ok I'll stop because I can go on forever about Chicago but seriously. Let me know when you go and I'll give you some more recommendations.

13. *MAMA*

Nice! Next time we head that way, will likely be for sad reasons (a funeral), but we'll definitely want to see the city again.

14. Wizardofodd

Wizardofodd Senior Member

I grew up in Chicago and have been to the Shedd Aquarium many times. That's probably why I'm such a fish geek but I suggest checking it out. There are a number of museums down there...plus you can hang out on the lake front and have some lunch. You can also check out the zoo.

15. RubySoho6

Yeah, I've been to Shedd aquarium a bunch of times. It's fun. I have a friend that lives right down by the museum campus. I stay with her sometimes. The Lincoln Park Zoo is fun and FREE. It's better than our zoo that we have here that you have to pay for. If you are looking for more affordable shopping than Michigan Ave you can shop south of the river on State Street. There are stores like H&M, Nordstroms Rack, etc like that down there. I've done the Sears Tower. I've never done the Hancock building though. Maybe I'll do that one of the times I go this year. I already have 2 trips to Chicago planned for this year. Maybe 3. Who knows how many times I'll end up there. Could be more than that depending on the Riot Fest line up. If they have good bands I'll be there twice in September.

16. Mike Suicide

Mike Suicide Sweet and Tender Hooligan

If it was me I'd want to check out the local strip clubs.

17. RubySoho6

I'm sure there are strip clubs but I don't know that I've ever seen any. I've never really looked for them though. I'll keep my eye open for them when I go next month.

18. iamsol

iamsol Member

If youre in to jazz bars you should go to The Green Mill. Its a club that dates back to Capone era. Willis Tower (formerly Sears Tower) has really cool all glass platforms in the observation deck where you can step out and look straight down 1100 feet. Make sure its a clear day/night though to really enjoy the view.

The Art Istitute of Chicago is really cool. Works by Van Gogh, Monet, a hall of armor and weapons. Museum of Science and History. Millineum Park has outdoor sculpture and great people watching.

Am i on the right track?

19. *MAMA*

Yes, you're on the right track! The stuff you mentioned is all stuff I would love to do. Shopping and all that would be cool if I was bored. The aquarium and the zoo the others mentioned also are things I like.

20. iamsol

iamsol Member

Strip clubs? Heavenly Bodies on Elmhurst road out by O'Hare airport. Polekats in Bridgeview which is a southwest suburb. Club O on Halstad in south burbs. Jimmys Place on US Rt 30 in Chicago Heights.