Check this out. Sniff your locks, lol.

Discussion in 'Dreadlocks' started by Earthy Mama, Jan 3, 2005.

1. Earthy Mama

Earthy Mama Feel my wrath... ;)

Hmmm... I usually live in the woods and off the land. Has anyone else noticed their dreads holding in smells your around constantly? Mine always smell like campfire. mmmm... it just makes me want to run back into the woods and dance around my firepit. hahaha, I know you guys probably think I'm a nutcase. But anyway, the point of this thread is this...I want you guys to sniff those dreads. Yup, be a wingnut and take a big sniff! I'm interested in knowing if anyone elses has a comforting smell that makes you feel at home or happy. I'm goin back to the woods in a couple days and I can't wait. The smell my dreads keep giving me is making me yearn so bad to be back! Even after washing them over and over the scent stays, I love it. It makes me smile. My babies always snuggle in my dreads and I always wonder if they are smiling because they find and love the comforting smell of the earth and the campfires too. Croix most of the time cannot fall asleep unless he is sucking his thumb while holding one of my dreads. :)

2. Electricbuddha

Electricbuddha Member

Awwww :) that was a good little story! but my matt's don’t smell unfortunately and fortunately. :p but right after I wash they smell like hemp seed oil, tee tree and cedar wood.;)

3. goldmund

goldmund Member

that was cute, little fluffy pillows, awwhh :)
    Ever wash 'em too much and start to smell mold?

4. Earthy Mama

Earthy Mama Feel my wrath... ;)

nope, my problem is I haven't gotten enough time to wash them. I just washed them last night. I found, a unscented natural soap and went to town. I had to wash my hair 3 times just to wash all the sand and salt water out(I was by the beach). But now thanks to that my dreads are feeling so good and are holding together great. I was going through a crisis... they were falling apart on the bottoms and I thought they were just being difficult so I washed them and now everythings doin' great plus they still smell like firewood still. yummy! lol

5. ArtLoveMusic

ArtLoveMusic Senior Member

Mine smell musty and warm like hair :) Nothing can ever replace the smell of my Blankie (which yes i do have still.. and is in my hand now while i suck my thumb and type one handed *blush*) But they keep in smells of incence which is cool cos it means i smell like nag champa or lavander etc and Jaycee LOVES sniffing my dreadies all the time :)

6. FreakyJoeMan

FreakyJoeMan 100% Batshit Insane

Mine smell like an old library.

7. Electricbuddha

Electricbuddha Member

HAHAHAHAHAH YOU ROCK MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. ArtLoveMusic

haha u hit the nail on the head :) thats the smell..musty..dusty and warm :)

9. inbloom

inbloom as the crow flies...

awwwwwwwwwwwww, i think that is quite possibly the cutest thing i have ever heard!!! :)

as for me, my dreads don't really have a certain smell, i guess. they just smell like me. they don't smell like cheese, and i'm just happy for that!!!

10. knottynikko

knottynikko Member

Mine smell like mud or when it has rained.Maby its from the twigs and bark in them,i'll have to pick all that out i guess or ill wake up in the morning with crumbs in the bed. :eek:

11. Oh So strangE indeeD

Oh So strangE indeeD Member

Mine too..they always smell like nag champa

12. mtnhighgirl

mtnhighgirl Member

Mine smell like a combo of peppermint (I just washed them yesterday), nag champa and cannabis. Yum!

13. neoteny

neoteny Member

I once had someone sniff my hair and exclaim, "You smell like head and patchouli!" to which another of my friends responded, "Slut!" But that's not what she meant. But apparently that is how my dreads smell. Surprisingly, though, they normally don't hold the smell of cigarette smoke.

14. lisabeeny

lisabeeny Member

Can't tell what mine smell like myself, as they aren't quite long enough to stick under my nose for a sniff.

Was a little concerned the other morning though. Came home from work, gave my boyfriend a cuddle and he got a whiff of my hair......not nice apparently. I'd been cooking breakfast for the guys at work (i work at a hostel for the homeless) and all the fatty smells from bacon, eggs and sausages were having a party on my head.

I think from now on I will be completely wrapping my head up when it comes to breakfast time at work. Eewwww...... :(

15. MoonjavaSeed

MoonjavaSeed Yeah, Toast!

ooooooh i'm currently dreading (i mean SERIOUSLY back combing them right now) as i speak, but my old ones smelled like raspberry, because my dread locking spray had sea salt and raspberry extract(and lemon juice) :D

16. Love113

Love113 Member

Mine smell like nag champa, or patchouli, or sandalwood most the time, but in the summer they smell like the river because I am there most of the time. Sometimes they have a really good smell, but I can't describe it. It is sweet and most nose-pleasing.

17. amethystrse

amethystrse Member

Mine smell kind of like lemons. But that's because they're still new and I've been using a saltwater/lemon solution on them in an attempt to help them lock better. lol I think I put too much lemon juice in my little concoction. :)

I wish mine smelled like the woods. I love that campfire smell! :D

*hugs*
    Jessie

18. ArtLoveMusic

mine now smell of cigarettes from the pub last night :( even though i had my tam on the f***** smoke got through. :(

19. FunkyPhreshMama

FunkyPhreshMama Visitor

lol i got to much sea salt in mine last time i used the lemon salt stuff and snowed salt for a day or two LOL. i found some rosemary spearmint shampoo bar so hopefully they still smell like that HAHA

20. ArtistofPeace

ArtistofPeace Senior Member

I used to be kinda neurotic about washing my hair every day when I didn't have dreads. But now, I can go for 2 weeks or more without washing because I love the smell and feel of my head when it's all natural. Sometimes I massage my head just to feel all my knots and when I smell my hand, it's like this earthy, natural, oily, rich smell. I love it...:) I've been told that it can be too strong. Sometimes my bf will hug me and kinda cough because he gets a huge wiff of it...but I don't think he minds too much...haha. I don't care, I love it...hehe...:)