Cheating

Discussion in 'Love and Sex' started by coppergurl, Jan 26, 2005.

1. sugarmaggie

sugarmaggie ~Green Eyed Devil~

Naw, at 90 you may not say you wish you had fucked less women, but you'll sure wish you had one sitting beside you to keep you company.

2. headymoechick

headymoechick I have no idea

There are a bunch of reasons that people cheat and i think men and women use them just the same. No sex cheats more than the other. It may seem like men do more, but I think that's because they get caught more.

Either way, it's disgusting. Commit yourself to one person. If you don't want to, say you don't want to commit. If you already have and don't want to anymore, again... say so. I can't think of one reason people cheat that couldn't be prevented with a little honesty. Grow some balls.

3. coppergurl

coppergurl Member

I think that your right. But I really don't understand why anyone would want to hurt someone who trust them. Its really wrong.

4. kissMeImPolish

kissMeImPolish Member

what mama dont know wont hurt her!

5. purple grass

purple grass Member

I think it's pretty equal.

6. kissMeImPolish

kissMeImPolish Member

all I know is that I dont cheat... if I feel like it... then I break up with you before I do!!!
    end of the story
    Greg

7. Myranya

Myranya Slytherin Girl

It often seems you hear about guys cheating more, but amongst the people I know it's closer to equal I think.. I really don't know. People make selfish choices sometimes... I was in love with a married guy once -not something I chose but I met him and I just fell in love really badly- but I never acted on it... Partly because of ethical reasons but also because I was scared I'd look foolish if he would not want me, and I was afraid to lose his friendship too if I went for more. I think I would've gone for it if I hadn't been so afraid. I think doing it for the thrill is just sick but love is a very strong emotion, if someone truly loves someone and makes a more selfish choice, I can certainly understand it.

8. squawkers7

squawkers7 radical rebel

Depends on your definition of cheating....

Are you a man who confides more about your day to your female friend than your wife? Are you a woman who shares secrets with a male coworker? Do you have a friendship with someone of the opposite sex that your mate has no knowledge of? If so, perhaps you are having an emotional affair and cheating on your mate.

"An emotional affair may be described as a strong bond and connection that occurs between two people, and persists without the complete knowledge and consent of your current spouse or partner," says Dr. Gloria Morrow, a licensed clinical psychologist in private practice in Upland, CA.

"Emotional affairs can involve innocent dinners, movie dates, and even short trips. However, the central feature of an emotional affair is the sharing of intimate secrets, problems and concerns, as well as triumphs through long conversations on the phone and in person that may not be shared with your spouse or partner. "

Experts say the crux of an emotional affair is that many times the persons involved are totally unaware of this behavior and that they are being unfaithful.

"These intimate relationships are usually not based on physical attraction and/or sex; rather they tend to be based on friendship where the two friends share common interests," adds Morrow. "So since sex is often not involved initially, the parties may convince themselves that the intimate relationship they are enjoying with someone else is totally harm less. These individuals may be fooling themselves."

Relationship therapist and radio talk show host Audrey Chapman agrees these relationships may begin innocent. "I would say that 7 out of 10 times, it's in innocence. In this society most people don't think when they're being emotionally intimate with someone outside the relationship, they are doing anything wrong because they don't understand how potent intimacy is. Intimacy is really the glue that connects two people. If they understood how potent intimacy was, they wouldn't take it outside of their relationship."

Dr. Daniel E. Williams, a clinical psychologist based in East Orange, NJ, warns that there is a thin line between this type of an affair and physical closeness.

"Sharing your thoughts and feelings is an act of intimacy. It is 'making love to another's mind before you make love to his or her body.' It is extremely intimate and very satisfying to feel understood by another individual. Verbal intimacy is only one step away from sexual intimacy."

Chapman agrees that by indulging in this emotional satisfaction, desires for this person form physically.

"When you are emotionally intimate with someone, you share with them all of the deep, dark secrets or painful experiences that you have and that makes you have an intense emotional relationship with them. And that's the foundation of a permanent, committed relationship. The only thing left is sexual intimacy. In casual relationships, you don't have that type of intimacy. You're just social, go out, have a good time, you do fun things, but emotional intimacy involves a deeper experience, it makes you more connected to the person," says Chapman, a counselor at Howard University and the author of a new book Seven Attitude Adjustments for Finding a Loving Man.

You cannot be emotionally involved outside of the marriage and expect to maintain a healthy, passionate relationship at home with a spouse or a mate, experts claim. Even if the relationship does not escalate to sex, it can be draining and destructive to the marriage. By giving the majority of your emotions to someone other than your spouse, he or she can end up feeling isolated and lonely.

"You cannot invest yourself completely in more than one relationship," explains Dr. Williams. "One of them will suffer. The individual will have less energy and less interest to invest in his relationship with his significant other."

Morrow, the author of Too Broken to be Fixed? A Spiritual Guide to Inner Healing and Strengthening the Ties that Bind: A Guide to a Healthy Marriage, says when you are emotionally involved with an outside person, the hard work that is sometimes necessary to maintain a healthy love relationship may begin to disappear.

"If you are emotionally engaged with another, you may find yourself paying more attention to the needs and desires of that person and less attention to those of your spouse and partner. When someone else is meeting our emotional needs, it may become more difficult and less desirable to put in the time and commitment that is critical for healthy relationships," Dr. Morrow says.

Experts declare that all male-female relationships are not emotional affairs, and that platonic relationships do exist. However, they stress that these relationships are difficult to maintain while married or in a committed relationship and warn there is certainly the potential for an affair to develop.

Also, a key breeding ground for emotional affairs is when a person is having trouble in his of her current relationship and he or she seeks his or her needs to be met elsewhere.

To avoid being emotionally unfaithful, psychologists say to be aware of the signs of an emotional affair and make a conscious decision and commitment to work daily on the love relationship you are committed to.

"Your relationship and marriage has to be the base, has to be the main point in which you refer to," emphasizes Chapman. "It can't be the second point. Your partner needs to know that you have this friend and know the friend. There should be an introduction so that you're familiar with that person and you feel good about that person being in your life. That friend is a support system to your marriage or relationship. It should never be where that person is isolated and kept a secret."