Charles Manson

Discussion in 'Back to the Garden' started by Biggen, Aug 20, 2005.

1. Biggen

Biggen Banned

First, I'd like to apologize in advance if this is the wrong place to post this. I poked around the other forums to see if there was a better place, but thought this was best. The mods can move it if there's a more appropriate forum.

My question is, did any of you "old-timers" ever cross paths or have any sort of contact with Manson? I don't mean "where you part of the Family", but did any of you happen to run into him? (Perhaps in a park, or at a gathering of some sort...or anywhere)

If so, I'd appreciate some feedback on what your impression was of him at that time. What was his behavior like, who was with him...y'know, the whys, whens, where at...just anything you may remember.

I'm not a Manson worshipper, or a wierdo. I do like to read/research that unfortunate time, on occasion. I thought I might get good response from the kind folks here.

I don't mean to dig up bad memories, or to bring anyone down by asking. I'm just curious. So, thank you in advance and I'm anxious for any replies.

Peace

2. JayBird

JayBird Member

You probably won't get too many responses on this in this forum. Not too many people would admit to knowing him. His values and vision didn't have anything to do with hippies or the social movement they embodied. He was an aberration. I was in the 4th grade when all that happened, so I don't remember much of it. But I recently saw the new version of Helter Skelter and became curious about it, so I did a little internet research. Only about 5 of them are in prison. The rest are still out running loose, and some are still ranting the same crazy shit. Charlie is still...Charlie. Susan Atkins and Tex Watson are supposedly born again Christians and trying to get paroled...fat chance. Anyway, if you're interested, here's a website run by one of his followers, who calls herself "Red." http://www.atwa.info/ I wouldn't recommend trying to correspond with any of these people, they're as mad as hatters. But there's some interesting info there if you're curious. (The home page has a pretty graphic image, so be warned).

3. shameless_heifer

shameless_heifer Super Moderator

I was around when Charlie and his gang of murduring thevies were in the 'City'. He didn't live in the Haight most of the time, he had his headquarters up on the Avenues.

Charlie and his desiples came to the Haight looking for lost souls to prey on. I was approched by Susan Atkins while I sat in a doorway on Haight Street. I had only been in SF for a few daze and was nieve to what was going on as far as being a small fish in a BIG pond.

Susan was very nice, with her words and her invitation to come crash at the place where she stayed. She was with a couple of other street kids, but I dont remember who they were. There was something vacant in her eyes and I felt I could not trust her, so I declined her invatation.

Several months later, I hooked up with my future X husband.. Cliff da Wiff. Cliff was a street man and had been in the Haight a while. He was a packrat and collected anything shiny. He was very creative and he made jewlery and trip lights. We got kicked out of our pad on haight over Love Burgers and Cliff took me to a house on Shrader street, between Page and Oak St.

When we arrived, there were several people in the house.. at least 12 or 15. The dude that ran the house was called DOC. He stayed locked up in his room with his harem of women. One of the women befriended me.. her name was Jessie. Jessies was a tall blonde hoochie mama that turned tricks in the Tenderloin.

Her drugs of choice were Speedballs.. Heroin and Methadrine.. Jessie's head was pretty screwed up, but she was good to me and tried to protect me.. I was heavy into Speed by then as Cliff had gotten me on what he was on.

I don't remember anyone ever sleeping in that house. I was there about a month and tons of people would come and go.. slipping into DOCs room with a password.
    I had been in Docs room three or four times in that month I spent there.

Doc was a tall dude over 6ft, he had long black hair that kind of stuck out everywhere. He dressed in what I call Wizard's robes. He was MANIC. His eye were ferice, dark and forboding. He sat in a highback chair with his minions around him catering to his every whim. Susan Atkins was there by his side.

I feared this man. He made the hair on the back of my neck stand straight up and made my skin feel crawly when he's pin me with his vulture like eyes. I was seventeen at the time.

When Cliff got us a place of our own, he came and got me. We moved over to Cole St to a flat the overlooked Haight St. We were there a couple of months, when I called my parents to let them know I was cool and had a new place to live.

When my mother answered the phone and heard my voice she FREEKED. and was crying and talking crazy about someone being killed., I couldnt understand why she was so upset. My Daddy got on the phone and this is what he said.

" Mary are you all right'.. yes daddy I am fine.. whats wrong.. Mary.. yes daddy.. The FIB has been here asking your where abouts.. Why Daddy.. I havent done anything bad... 'Baby, he said.. Your ID was found on a woman who was involved in a murder in Airzona.. Squeekie Frome.. she had your ID Mary. Do you know her.. no daddy I don't think I do know her.. I lost my ID.. or someone stole it a while back.
    Mary daddy said again.. this woman is one of Charlie Mansons gang... who's charlie manson daddy.. 'He's a murdering hippie Mary.. Wake UP baby'... Daddy.. Hippies dont murder people.

My Daddy said they had PIs looking for me and the Police dept had an all points on me.. 'Daddy call them and tell them to stop looking for me I am not involved with thoes people in any way'. I finely convinced my Daddy that I was not involved with murders and Daddy said I had to come home and talk to the FBI. He sent me a plane ticket and I went back to Anahiem to talk to the FBI.

After talking with the FEDs, they came to the conclusion that I had no imformation to give them.. and that I was not part of the Manson Cult. They also told me that Manson was sometimes refered to as DOC.

Now how close is that

sh

4. JayBird

JayBird Member

Wow. I didn't think Charlie was that tall though. Anyway, what I'm curious about is how he was able to manipulate people the way he did. You gotta admit, he wasn't a very attractive guy. Was it drugs? Personality? Being at the right place at the right time? I'll never understand it.

5. Ranger

Ranger Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

I was in the Haight when anson was but to the best of my knowledge I never incountered him personally. I was answering the phones at the Haight Ashbury Switchboard the morning the story of the murders broke and some fool reporter from LA called to ask if there was a group in the Haight called 'the Family'. I told him that almost every house in the neighborhood with three or more people in it called themselves a family, who did he mean? He soon gave up and hung up. *L*

I remember a day or two later a group of us went out for breakfast to a diner outside the Haight and the waitress was terrified that there were hippies at her table and had a breakdown and had someone else serve us.
    Later I encountered a few of his fringe people and one look in their eyes or a minute or two listening to them brag a bout knowing Charlie and your skin began to crawl and there was no way you would trust them with anything. The look in their eyes was as a rule either vacant trance like or totally wild and crazed.
    Charlie and the latter day killers Leonard Lake and Charles Ng had one thing in common they used the Haight as a hunting ground preying on naive young hippes and runaways both as recruits and victims. They were recluses and kept a low profile as far as involvement with the community in general and were never really considered 'hippies' by bulk of the community.

6. shameless_heifer

I don't know if that was Charlie.. But I tell you what.. if it wasnt him, It was deffinatly one of his Fellow Cult members...I just emember him being tall bc I am short and most everyone was taller then I was.. I do know that it was susan atkins bc I saw her later on the news. And they did arrest Squeekie Frome for her involvement in the Arizona murders. And she was in posession of my birth certificate. How she got it I don't really know..

Ranger you right about them not mixing with the neighborhood.. They'd send the women out to look for the ones looking for acceptance and a place of belonging... I was dumb.. but I had enough "Spirit" in me that I backed away from it. I'd rather sit on the stoop and watch "The Show" on Haight St. Then be in some dudes harem..

Manson was a swingali.. he brainwashed people that were 'short' on brain cells in the first place. You could pick them out in a crowd.. the lonely, scared and lost ones that came flooding into the Haight in the middle 60s.

A 'Family' sounded good to them. A place to stay and food and baths. And all the mind altering drugs you wanted. Sweet pretty words to lul you into their way of thinking, isolating you from reality. Turning what they do into something heroic and meaningful. Sublimely and craftily planting weeds of murderous intent into their victoms head.

The La Bianca murders was a retailation on Brian Wilson ( beach boys), who had formaly occupied the house where the killings took place.
    Brian was helping Manson break out into the rocknroll biz.. Manson wanted to be a Rock Star.

But being who manson was, Brian got paranoid bc manson was so wierd and he was afraid of him. Manson was living with Brian at the house and knew the house inside out.
    Finely Brian asked manson to leave bc of his strange and violent behavior and became unavailable to manson. This enraged manson bc Brian was his connect to the music industry and he started stalking Brian.

Brian moved from the house and went into hiding. Manson came to seek his revenge, but instead of finding Brian he found the La Binacas and the rest is history.

I got this information after investagating manson and his cult.. I was interested bc my name had been connected with them. I was horrifide to find out that I was in any minuet way associated with that type of evil bc I am a Child of Creator, my GOD.

I was fortunate not to befall what so many young people got involved with. ESP with cults like mansons and other deviated individuals lurking about preying in guise of Hippie dress.

sh

7. JayBird

JayBird Member

SH, maybe Doc was Manson. My only source has been the internet, and I've seen his height given as anything from 5'2 to 5'8. I don't know. I guess sometimes a forceful intimidating personality can make a person seem larger than life. As for indoctrinating those girls with his philosophy, I have heard that he had them on acid constantly, and only pretended to drop acid himself. That's a drug that can put a person in a particularly suggestive state. Even better than hypnosis. And if you're lonely, outcast, no job or a place to crash, yeah, I guess I can picture it. He did surround himself with some cute chicks. Homicidal maniacs, but cute.

8. Biggen

Biggen Banned

Wow, thanks for those replies! SH, that's a very scarey story. I wonder how many others found themselves in your situation? *shudder*

Yes, I'm fairly certain Manson is very short. Self confidence and a "larger than life" presence can make folks seem much taller. I have read, somewhere, that Manson has a very high IQ. He doesn't have much of a formal education, he's just very intelligent, very intuitive. Mix that with all of the ways he learned to twist people to his way of thinking, due to being a life-long convict, and associating with manipulative people in various institutions, it's kind of easy to see how young, wandering souls would fall prey.

I've also read that at one time Manson was very much into Scientology, as well as "mysticism" and religions in general, or his twisted version of them. Again, throw in mind-altering drugs and a little "street hustle", lay it on some desperate young people with no place to go, and you've got a sick little "revolution" on your hands.

I wasn't too sure about posting this, as I said. I didn't want to freak people out or dig up bad memories. Thanks again for these replies, I look forward to more, if there are any!

Peace

9. nouronion

nouronion Member

there was a one hour biography on him on the history channel not to long ago i watched it a few times. Physically he looked so small and weak, i think it said he was 5'7, and he looked pretty skinny. He must of been very intelligent and had some kind of mind controll cause i couldnt see anybody being afraid of him if not.

10. samson

samson Hepcat

Wavy Gravy tells a story about encountering Charlie and a couple of his family hitchiking. Gravy's bus picks them up, and there is a heavy vibe, so Wavy leads everyone in chanting "OM". Manson and the family members freak out and demand to be let off, and Wavy gives him grief as they exit the bus. Later, they learn who they were travelling with!

11. FlyingBurritoBro

FlyingBurritoBro Sing Me Back Home

Phil Kaufman wrote a book called "Road Mangler Deluxe" that has a short bit about the Manson family and running into him in the desert. The book is worth reading. And Manson is a short guy.

12. shameless_heifer

sorry 'bout the hight thing..It was 37 yrs ago, and well it was the sixties. I'm 5'1 1/4 so an ellf would seem tall to me. :) ... ahhhh the boots.. he wore cowboy boots, that would put a couple of inches on him.

At any rate, he was an evil force and ruined countless lives. I found through my investigation that manson was indeed into satanic rituals. Blood rituals, usuing babies and hanging them upside down on a cross. True evil incarnate.

13. JayBird

JayBird Member

SH, when you mentioned he was into satanism, that reminded me of something I read on the internet, I forget which site. I don't know if it's true or not. Just as you'll find in any high profile case, there's a certain amount of popular myth on this subject. Anyway, I read that Susan Atkins told another inmate in jail that she wanted to do a lot more to Sharon Tate, but she ran out of time. Supposedly she not only wanted to cut out the baby, she wanted to take it back to the ranch, roast it over a fire as a sacrifice, and serve it to the family to eat. And now she's a born again Christian, and we're supposed to forget all that, because she's "sorry". Right.:rolleyes:

14. DR. REEFER

DR. REEFER Member

i was at a buddys house a couple months back and he was showing me these prison interviews with charles manson he got off the net. This guy really is intelligent, i personally think its fascinating how this guy thinks, its just pure evil and to him it seems like the best honest way. truely astonishing how this guy thinks. That doesnt mean that what he did was right though. Terrible terrible shit the family pulled.Its fucked up theres a part where he mentions how hes happy to have finally gained attentiin from the public (since he never made it to be a rockstar) and weirder than that, the guys happy to be jail he loves it.

15. Jonny Rotten

Jonny Rotten Member

Loved that song he did with the beetles helta skalter

I think he played drums

And he was great when he was in southpark:)

16. eyesofthewhirled

eyesofthewhirled Member

i'm weirdly curious about cults and what not... got this video off of ebay a couple years ago that was shot at spahn's ranch(i believe) when charlie was first in jail then later released for a bit. its eery stuff man. they all had the same glassy blue vacant eyes.... girls in bikinis stroking guns and talking about charlie being jesus. talking about how everyone should do acid and then they show clips of the little children obviously dosed out of their minds. theres a lot more horrific details that they share that their beloved charlie had them do... :( i just pray those children made it through with no memories of those early years.

17. Wonder Girl

Wonder Girl rhapsody in pink

Wow,Shameless..that's a crazy story,I'm glad you decided to share it with the forums.

I'm also curious about the cult stuff....I've read several books about the Manson family and researched it online a little. It's just insane that a man so evil could control people like that...he really was and maybe still is,very intelligent...an expert manipulator. I watched a program about his parole attempts and he was just so crazed and angered. His eyes,they're almost unhuman looking...it's scary to see him on tv screen even. I can't imagine how those people feel being in a room with him.

18. michaelstevenson

michaelstevenson Banned

just visited that site u all and u outta check it out outta check out the photos u know this man verry well could be our savior and our gouv wouldent care i was just arrested for crimes i didnt committ and it took me 5 weeks to proove i didnt whille my 2 darlin children had to be without there father and 3 days before court the deputy sherriff called threating me with my life and shit telling me not to go to court and when i called the fbi and his srgnt they didnt care 1 bit i went to court they realized they didnt have a case but still did they care hell no now i have no worries and they know im innocent but still the caos continues even though i have no more court mabe he is innocent why not give the man the bennafit of doubt what harm can he do us now...mabe he can teach us all something and there is plenty we all need to learn still...so charlie i belive u should be free hell if u molest little kids u get less time and i belive thats worse than fucking murder..dead people dont have to go throughout life thinking about what has been done to them............just rember folks...we scorn a child who is affraid of the dark but the true tragity in life is when grown men are scared of the light

19. Ranger

Ranger Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Michael, It's not like Charlie wasn't a child molester. The mind fuck he inflicted on the young girls of his herem. the dosing of their kids, and last but not at all least the ultimate molestation of Tates unborn baby more than qualify him as someone who is a threat to all....

20. shameless_heifer

Michael.. have you lost your mind!!!! I know you are intitled to your opinion, but for the LOVE of Mankind, how can you make such rash statements. If you really believe that our Saviour could or would committ such atrosities, then in my opinion you should be his (mansons) cell mate for a few years and then, see if you still feel the same way.

He should have been tried in Texas, the havent abbolished the death penalty, if fact we have a express lane. ( climbing upon soap box). I must say this and be perfectly clear as to what I am saying.

Manson is EVIL Incarnate!! They should have exacuted him and his minions.
    Evil begets Evil. It breeds and grows. It takes over the Spirit if you let it in your life.
    Evil knows no bounds, it has no conscience, no moral fiber and is limitless in it's ablility to control a weak mind.

Take a stroll down the halls of any mental facility for the criminaly insane and get an up close and personal view of what you condoning here.

Fear is what evil uses against mankind, it uses our weaknesses to get inside and take control by useing words to manipulate the thinking pattern, isolating and reprograming with mind altering drugs and other methods of manlipulation.

To kill a human being is bad enough, but to mutalate and dismember is a sickness of the soul. To mutalate and use ritualistic torture on infants in the name of some grotesk distorted religion is beyond human indurance and cannot be tolerated in any society.

There will never be peace and harmony as long as this kind of evil is present in the hearts and souls of humanity. If this behavior is punished by getting three meals, a bed, TV, computers, work out rooms,free schooling, free medical, dental, and congical visits, is this a punishment to befit the crime, if so then I must be on the wrong page.

What we draw to us we eventualy become. Evil must have a host to survive and must be feed. If you feed the demon it will grow and devour you. It feeds off of your weaknesses, your fears and your insecurities.

It dwells in dark places where the dreges of humanity gather, looking for a place to belong. It preys on the innocents of the needy and forgotton ones that slip through the cracks in the road.

Evil strokes you as it creeps into your soul and smiles prettily as it sucks the very essents from you. Leaving you empty with no will of your own.

You knew evil when you see it. It's cunning and sly, charming it's way into your life. You can feel it as the hair raises on the back of your neck and on your arms.(shudder).

I will stop here bc I do not want to draw evil to me by talking about it too much. Thinking it into exsistance.

I pray that my words here be washed clean in Infinate Light and that any residue from this conversation be disinagrated and dispuresed into the abbys and brings harm no to any person in this thread.

As it is asked, so shall it be.

Blessed Be.
    sh