Charles Bukowski

Discussion in 'Beat and Hippie Books' started by Pressed_Rat, May 12, 2004.

1. Edward_Elric

Edward_Elric Member

If you want to see the true talent of Bukowski, not in his "only for two year olds" poetic style, then pick up a copy of "The Post Office". It was one of his first major works, and it truly showcases his art. I'm not here to tell you your opinion is wrong, I just want to turn you on to some of his more reader friendly work.

2. gratefuldeadhippy

gratefuldeadhippy Member

Bukowski is writing is a very specific and direct way of rejecting convoluted overly cultured works of lit.

He attempts to speak only to those who hear what he hears. the silence of life and how cold is makes you. Many argue that because his style was blunt and direct he had no talent. But it takes true skill to put the actually bitterness of all life in to words that aren't convoluted with overly drawing metaphors and stretches of indirect language.

3. dd3stp233

dd3stp233 -=--=--=-

I dig the stuff I've read but I never got a chance to meet him, some friends, ran into him wandering 'round Pedro.

4. Julie Bukowski

Julie Bukowski Member

I love Bukowski... is it obvious? The man was a genius. I wish I could have met him.

5. lucy_diamond

lucy_diamond Member

Ham on Rye, Post Office, Women and one more which i don't know how is translated ('Factotum' - i just checked ;)) , i read. and yes, i like bukowski. i would stop after 'women' (the 1st bukowski's book i read) if i didn't like him. 'Ham on Rye' i love the most.
    he has very special and recognizing style. i'm not surprised many authors are coping him (which is soooo lame), even here, in croatia.
    i love bukowski.

6. isoisidorus

isoisidorus Member

i once watched a video of his live appearance. one thing he did for me- i will not be able to use the word "glorious" in its elevated sense, for a long time. this is one of Charles Bukowski's unknown accomplishments. He is easy to read- that, imo, is why he is so popular. i think his poetry stands on its own.

7. SamanthaHazelEyes

SamanthaHazelEyes Member

Bukowski is the Tom Waits of poetry, as far as I'm concerned. Unbelievably testosterone filled, angsty, rambling, and dirty. When I read 'Love is a Dog from Hell' I both loved it and disliked it. My dislike mainly revolved around his sometimes very crude renderings of women. Once I got through that though, I was able to see the humor and intelligence of his writing.

8. Spaceboy13

Spaceboy13 Member

Love Is a Dog From Hell is my favorite book ever. I'd also recommend highly "Play the Piano Drunk Like a Percussion Instrument Until the Fingers Begin to Bleed a Bit"