Challenge you to a friendly potato-growing contest!

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by johnnystillcantread, Jun 3, 2007.

1. johnnystillcantread

johnnystillcantread Member

Hello! I have some pretty nice potato plants happening in my garden right now and thought it might be fun to have a potato-growing contest to see who can grow the biggest potato. Anyway it’s my day off so I am going out to do a little hilling and lots of watering just in case this contest is on. Cheers!

2. Alaskan

Alaskan Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Johnny:
    You've won, Our soil is still a couple of degee to low to plant yet. In fact I just got all the whiskey barrels in place where we grow our potato's and am just taking a beer break.......

3. PeaceLoveAndWeed

PeaceLoveAndWeed Member

I have never grown potatoes, but my great uncle made all his money growing potatoes. In fact he grew some potatoes that were so big that just one of them was big enough that that is all you needed to eat.

4. homeschoolmama

homeschoolmama Senior Member

Yep, you beat me too. We opted in favor of extra mini-pumpkins instead of potatoes this year when we realized we'd be lucky to get a couple dozen new potatoes out of our largest pot.
    love,
    mom

5. crummyrummy

crummyrummy Brew Your Own Beer Lifetime Supporter

I had a potato that was sprouting all over in the air, so I dug a hole and filled it with peat moss and planted the tater in it....doesnt seem to be growing though...how many mistakes did I make?

6. Alaskan

Crummy: how long ago did you plant it ? How deep ?

7. crummyrummy

crummyrummy Brew Your Own Beer Lifetime Supporter

month ago I guess, 4 inches I believe.

8. gardener

gardener Realistic Humanist

Hey, you win over me too. It's cheaper to buy potatos here than try to make them grow with these heavy clay soils and outrageously high temperatures. Now tomatos I'd stand a chance.

9. gardener

Peat moss is a soil additive not a replacement for soil.

10. Alaskan

[​IMG]Crummy:
    As Gardener said, peat is an additive not a replacement. Potato's like soil which is a bit on the acidic end.
    Keeps "scale" from developing.
    With the spud it the ground for several months, it sounds like it rotted away on you.
    When I plant my seed potato's, I cut them up, making sure theres about 4 eyes on each plug. Then cover them with only 2-3 inches of soil.
    Because I grow in containers ( whiskey barrels ) I keep adding more soil as the vines start growing upward.
    As I've mentioned be for, most of our gardening is done in raised beds and containers.
    2 reasons for that is, first the soil warms up faster and 2 nd. soil is at a premium here and dont want the rain to wash it away.
    Was going to get the soil and potato's started today but is raining like crazy, last night and this morning. Good day for some indoor projects.
    The sun came out yesterday afternoon and people showed up in droves to buy plants.
    We've been open a week now and has been on the slow side because of all the rain, only the "combat gardeners" show up in their rain gear.
    Later................Dennis

PS: The picture above shows our potato barrels in front of the house, gets good sun there and helps keep people from parking on the grass.

11. Sea Breeze

Sea Breeze Member

Growing tatties does help break up the ground and we have perfect soil and conditions here to grow them. As I live quite far from a store it is useful to have something that would be a bane to carry home due to weight. We consume a lot of them too!! There is nothing better than digging something up out of the ground and putting it in the pot a wee while after!!

Tomatoes, now we need green houses for that! I had a go last year as some plants sprouted out of the compost heap!! I got a measly crop of green ones which ended up in chutney...

Ahhhh....global diversity.....

12. dilligaf

dilligaf Banned

ok johnny :) seems i am the only one that will take your challenge on the taters... we have over a hundred tater plants growing very well this year... took some pics the other day but aint rained in so long i dont have them downloaded yet since i spend most of my free time lately attempting to get the poor thirsty plants water.... but i will keep track of me taters n when tis time for the great dig up fest will find my bahama mama n post it :)
    luv n lite

13. gardener

I've tried all the methods, and the one that worked the best for me around here was the old tire method. But only got young round little things. You folks with the milder climates make sure you give us pictures of your monster spuds.

14. gardener

You should try frying those green tomatos. Taste just like fried eggplant. Jutney I guess is good, but never knew what to do with it once I made it. What do you guys eat it with?

Not something my family cooked with or used.

15. Sea Breeze

Sea Breeze Member

Good with veggie curry or with most cheeses.

I haven't put any tomatoes in yet this year but I have two varieties of potatoes Eddington and Golden Wonder.

Might just put myself down for this tattie contest!!

16. woodenfrog

woodenfrog Member

i have a few potatto plants, im up for a freindly game of grow your potatoes big as possable.
    who is all in
    dilli
    breeze
    johny
    woodenfrog

did i miss annyone

imma start a new thread for garlic
    peace

17. johnnystillcantread

Cool it seems like it’s on. I don’t want to scare you but it rained here today and I know it did my potatoes good. Cheers!

18. Sea Breeze

Sea Breeze Member

This contest is on organic principles of growing guys right?! ; )

19. hemlock hollow

hemlock hollow Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Oh boy! And we are going a very small amount of potatoes this year for the first time! Some are in a mounded hill of soil and covered with straw. And some are planted in bushel baskets, soil and straw! Even have some purple ones!

20. johnnystillcantread

Only when I poke them in the eye. Actually I grow a variety of potatoes (including purple ones) but will probably enter a baking potatoe in the contest. Cheers!