Chaco size question

Discussion in 'Fashion and Crafts' started by plainjanepatchwork, Sep 6, 2005.

1. plainjanepatchwork

plainjanepatchwork Member

Hello All!

I am going to get a pair of Chaco Zongs. I was wondering for those of you with half sizes should I go up or down a size. When I look around Zappos.com I get conflicting answers. I wear a 7 1/2 should I buy an 7 or an 8?

Thanks!!!

2. Lilyrayne

Lilyrayne Chrisppie

I normally wear anywhere from 8 1/2 to 9 1/2 depending on the brand of shoe. I wear 39 Narrow in birks if that helps at all...

When I tried on Chacos, I tried on women's sizes 8's and 9's. The 8's fit much better than 9, so I ended up going down a half size instead of up.

I have the Z/1's tho. I started out with z/2's and the toe strap would tighten as I walked and nearly choke my big toes!! I know that I'm not the only one who had this issue with the z/2's, lots of people did. The Zong is pretty much a Z/2 without the heel strap. I tried a Zong on also and it was worse than the Z/2's with the toe strap! So if you get your Zongs and find you have this problem, don't give up on Chacos.. try out the Z/1's. If it's slip-on convenience you're wanting, the z/1's aren't that much trouble to get on, it takes me all of 5 seconds max to get them on and off.

Zappos.com rocks.. the beauty of their website is that shipping is free and it's also free to return. You have 365 days to return the shoes, as long as they are in their original condition. What I do is order shoes, wear them around the house for a few days and then if there's a problem I send them back and it doesn't cost me a thing. so if you are ordering from Zappos, order a pair of size 7's and a pair of size 8's and try them on, then send which ever doesn't fit well back.

One more thing, this may or may not be important to you, but the z/1's and z/2's are the only ones made in colorado. all the other styles are made in China. Drumminmama contacted them about this a while back and they told her that they are supposedly going to change that, but no clue if they have yet or not.

Hope that helps!!

Which sole type are you getting?

3. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

they have, the production line is rolling in Paonia.
    (been talking with the returns peeps a lot recently three pairs in for resole)

I have Z1 and Z2 and I am wearing a 9. I wore 39 Birks before, although I think those were a touch tight. Don't hesitate to ask on the chaco forum (off the site, www.chacousa.com) or the customer service folks.

4. plainjanepatchwork

Thanks ladies!!

5. drumminmama

you can also get into an REI to try them on....

6. plainjanepatchwork

There is no REI near me or any other store that sells them. I did buy a pair of Z2's off ebay but they sent me a 9 in the box when I bought an 8 so I had to return them. Judging from that shoe that strap that goes around the ankle was way too big for me. So I figured I might as well get the zong since the ankle strap on the z2 wasn't going to be snug anyway.

Bree*~ Thanks for the info on the other styles being made in China. That is something that is very important to me. Oh and I think I will get the Colorado sole. Is that what you all have?

Thanks again! You have been a big help :)

7. drumminmama

I have one Colorado sole and one being resoled to Terrano so that I can go longer between needing soles.
    Paul only has Terrano, as he walks a lot on pavement, and wears shoes out quickly.
    He can kill a pair of Birks in 4 months.

where in N Illinois are you?

8. Lilyrayne

Lilyrayne Chrisppie

Mine are Colorado.

The z/2's I started out with had Terreno soles, which I got because I thought they'd last longer and give me more cushioning on the pavement. But later I realized that they made the sandals heavier than necessary and that was part of what contributed to the major foot irritation, besides the toe strap. The shoe store I got them from is awesome, even though I'd worn them for a couple of days already, they let me exchange them because they were still in sellable condition.

Now I have z/1 colorado's and couln't be happier, they are lighter, cause less chafing on the soles of my feet, no choking toe strap, and it's actually easier to walk in them. I didn't realize the Terreno soles were making it more difficult for me to walk. But that's just me, may not be like that for everyone. Also, I like the colorado sole because I work with dogs a lot and walk in grass and mud, and the colorado sole is insanely easy to wash mud, poop, and grass off of. No digging in the grooves with a stick like with the terrenos.

9. drumminmama

VERY good points, Bree. Paul gets all the sidewalk deicer particles in his soles (guess i should reconsider?) and they wind up all over the house all winter. Summer is better, but the small gravel does travel!

10. Lilyrayne

Lilyrayne Chrisppie

Small gravel, mud, poop, glass, food, GUM!!! Have you ever tried getting GUM out of those kind of soles?? LOL

If your only reasoning for Terreno is longer lasting soles, do you really think they would last that much longer? My theory that changed my mind was that we all wear a certain pattern into our shoes that after a time, even if it hasn't reached the resoling point yet, it creates an imbalance for the foot anyway. Not as much support as when the sole was fresh. So yeah, the terreno soles might last longer but it COULD be a double edged sword... since it lasts longer it gives you more time to create that "wear imbalance" and thus making the imbalance more drastic and harder on your feet than a slighter wear on thinner soles. You may have to replace the thinner soles more often but I'd consider it to be worth it if it means not messing up the whole "biomechanical" aspect as drastically, and you get to freshen it up sooner. Does that make any sense?

11. drumminmama

sure does, and yes, lots of sidewalk gum around here.
    gee, my kid can't wear a black long coat because of the Jeffco School district (next door to us) but NO ONE teaches kids to spit their gum in the trash.....

Congrats sister...you changed my mind... (confetti and horns here)

12. drumminmama

oh, are you in uni this semester?

13. Lilyrayne

Lilyrayne Chrisppie

Yes. I'm currently attending OSU-OKC and OKCCC... a class at each. I couldn't get the classes I wanted at OU this semester, damn, those classes fill up fast!! I'll be going back next semester hopefully, I need to get back to degree specific classes (only 1 so far) because I am running out of basics and there's not many electives I like at the two I'm going to right now. Also, not enough classes transfer to OU. It was a bitch just finding these two that would transfer. Blargghhhh higher education is so political!

14. Lilyrayne

Lilyrayne Chrisppie

P.S. I've noticed at all three colleges, no one seems to know that gum goes in the trash either.

15. drumminmama

gads, I remember. I was the editor of the Pioneer OKCCC for a year, remember?
    If you still want J, do take classes with Sue Hinton. Her insight and networking is worth her weight, my weight and your weight in gold!

16. drumminmama

17. Lilyrayne

Lilyrayne Chrisppie

You'd fit right in with that area of study!

Which school is Sue Hinton at?

18. plainjanepatchwork

drumminmama*~*~ I live near Rockford,IL. I checked the chaco site and the closest chaco dealer is in Madison, WI or near Chicago. I do get to Madison quite a bit so maybe I can swing by and try a pair on sometime.

19. drumminmama

Bree: Sue is at OKCCC runs the newspaper and teaches English and News I.
    Plainjanepath:
    ah. I think of Chicago as Nothern Illinois, esp since a friend teaches at NIU!