Celtic Spirtuality

Discussion in 'Philosophy and Religion' started by kilted2000, May 10, 2004.

1. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

Celtic spirituality is a bit of a vague concept to me - in the early middle ages in Britain was the Celtic Church- in England they were pretty well done away with and replaced by Catholicism after the Synod of Whitby - all chronichled by the Venerable Bede in ' History of the English Church and people'.

I've run into some folks at english festivals who have a small Celtic Christian Chapel/tent, and they seem Ok, but I wonder if traditions of the past can be authentically re-constructed? And does it matter? If one is a Celt then surely whatever spirituality one has must be defined as Celtic.

Also, there is 'paganism' - I don't imagine much authentic Celtic magic or shamanism survives to-day, but no doubt someone will leap in here to tell me I'm wrong....

2. Cadenceflower

Cadenceflower Member

Actually i agree there is no authentic celtic paganisim left today, and I dont think that it can be reconstructed as it once was mainly because everything (as far as I know) was told orally and as the origanals died the true celtic paganism and religion was lost.

3. veinglory

veinglory Member

Even so I don't think the reconstructed religion is any less sensible or authentic than other pagan paths (Wicca, neo-shamansim). Many Celtic documents survive and there are both continuous and revived rituals that date from ancient times, as well as new rituals only 'inspired' by them. E.g. the new years longship burning in Edinburgh is modern but based on rituals carried out in the Scottich isle ever since the vikings colonised the area.

4. Mongan

Mongan Member

i'm new here and am trying to find out as much as i can about celtic mythology, especially the diety named Mongan. I'm really not a pagan but i'm not a christian. I see major organized religion as a tool to make "sheeple" out of people. If anyone knows about celtic mythology i'd love to hear about it. I'm trying to find out if there actually was a king of ulster named mongan, i've seen it debated on the net in articles and would love to know more about him srry rambling

5. veinglory

veinglory Member

I think Mongan is more of a hero than a God, something like Hercules as only his father was a God.