Celtic Spirtuality

Discussion in 'Philosophy and Religion' started by kilted2000, May 10, 2004.

1. kilted2000

kilted2000 Member

I just wanted to have a place for followers of a Celtic Path to discuss things. I want it to be open to both Pagans and Christians.

2. VanAstral

VanAstral Member

I'd love to wear a kilt, but i don't know where to get one around here. are they expensive? what kind of top and shoes do you wear with one?

3. kilted2000

kilted2000 Member

I got my kilt over the internet. You might want to visit Highland games if you want a kiltmaker closer to home. You can wear anything above the kilt as well as any shoes. The Book So You're Going to wear the kilt? Is an excellend guide.

4. 4_Leaf_Clover

4_Leaf_Clover I Love

i'd like to know more about just what a "Celtic Path" is.

5. kilted2000

kilted2000 Member

A Celtic path is any spirituality that is celtic. This can mean Celtic Reconstructionism(my path), Celtic Shamanism, some modern forms of Druidism, a Celtic form of Christianity. Wicca may count but some authors do claim some things to be Celtic that arn't. Nothing against Wicca, but its roots are not Celtic.

6. veinglory

veinglory Member

I would be interested. I am very interested in Celtic spirituality especially relating to animals. I recently went raging mad over the so-called 'shapeshifter tarot' which is meant to be based on Celtic animal traditions but is actually full of American neo-pagan bollocks. Aaargh.

I have been reading some great stuff about traditional red-eared cattle and why they were so important to the Celts, and lot fo other stuff that would make good threads.

We could just move into one of the forums and but little [celtic] tags on out post's subject lines?

7. sassure

sassure Member

8. kilted2000

kilted2000 Member

Another great site is www.solasdana.org. It's the website of Frank MacKowan, the author of The Mist Filled Path. I can't recommend this book enough. Also good is Tom Cowan's Fire in the Head. This is a must read. For one of the greatest books on Celtic folklore read Fairy Faith in Celtic Countries. It tells how Pagan beliefs were transformed by country folk and how the old Gods never were forgotten. A must read.

9. veinglory

veinglory Member

Yes but what about a place for discussion. Here? in the 'pagan' forum?

10. kilted2000

kilted2000 Member

I didn't think the Pagan forum of the past represented Celtic ways.

11. veinglory

veinglory Member

Yeah but we could just put [celtic] in our subject lines so we know which posts relate to this. If we really take over they might give us our own forum.

12. cerridwen

cerridwen in stitches

Just so you know, Wicca is a very vague term, like Christianity. Its roots aren't specifically in anything, but rather it's an embodyment of different paths. Some follow Celtic, some Egyptian, some Greek, etc... there's like a zillion differrent 'versions' or directions you can go with Wicca.

I've been practicing wicca for about 10 years, and I've taken more of a celtic root with it. I've always had an interest in it, but more so now since I met my husband 5 years ago, who's Irish. (I guess it's like a sign?)

13. kilted2000

kilted2000 Member

I just meant that Wicca isn't completely Celtic as some people claim. SOmewhere on the internet there is an article outlining why that is. (Pretty vague I know)

14. ForestNymphe

ForestNymphe Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Cead Mille Failte.
    As a practictioner of a predominately Celtic path, I would welcome such to my own little bare forum. (Shady Grove) I had thought to start an advanced discussion of divination but would love to see a good and healthy open dialogue of Celtic practices, be it pagan or not. Perhaps even incorporate some fo the older Celtic divination practices.
    Been a praciticing pagan for close to twenty years, a lover of Celtic reconstructionism for as long and I always keep an open mind and heart to those on a like minded path.

Blessings..........

15. kilted2000

kilted2000 Member

Is no one interested in this topic?

16. kilted2000

kilted2000 Member

Is anybody out there?

17. Cadenceflower

Cadenceflower Member

Im interested in this topic a lot i fear i dont have a lot to contribute yet, i am a follower of knowledge and try to learn as much as possible, right now i am looking into Druidism, of the past and the more recent things would that fit into this topic?

18. Cadenceflower

Cadenceflower Member

Im very interested in this topic, except i really dont think that we are discussing anything inparticular, i follow more of a drudic, pagan path are there any issues we are discussing.

19. sweatininthesouth

sweatininthesouth Member

Kilted, just curious about your comment, wanting to unify Pagan and Christian thought. Unless it's an attempt to show Christians that Pagans aren't bad, as they believe they are. According to most religious historians, Christians thought most indigenous peoples were horrible Pagans that needed to be "Christianized" in order to be saved from Christian purgatory.

20. Jozak

Jozak Member

Actally, especially in the Catholic/Orthodox Churches, there are a LOT of elements of pagainsm in them. Even the priests colored robes/candles are traditions that early Christians adopted, I think it's really neat.