Cats...

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by Pressed_Rat, Dec 6, 2017.

1. deleted

deleted Visitor

2. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

3. egger

egger Member

Now let's see a TV commercial with PR and Morris in it together. :)

4. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

this is the closest i could find on such short notice

5. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

Growing up we always had cats.
    About a decade ago we took in a stay cat who then got preggers and had 6 kittens, all of which we kept.
    One of them took a real shine to me and followed me all over the place. One morning taking the trash out I found her laying in the gutter, obviously run over by a car. Odd emotions ran through me for quite a while over that.
    Here is a pic of here as a tiny kitten snoozing with my youngest;
    [​IMG]

time passes and all those cats "moved on" and then Buddy came to stay with us and now I'm totally a dog person, but don't "hate" cats, I'm just over them as there has only been about 10 years total of my life where cats were not part of it.

animals are of the same essence as we are as is all life, so I connect with that and can always appreciate them as I do all critters, but I'm more or less done with personal cat ownership.
    Dogs just provide such a deeper connection, IMHO, prolly by virtue of their more developed nervous systems, but kitties are ok.

6. Eric!

Eric! Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Cats are not people. They are CATS.

soulcompromise likes this.
  7. newbie-one

newbie-one one with the newbiverse

That's horrible, sorry to hear that.

8. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

themnax likes this.
  9. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

No, I like dogs because they are loyal and affectionate.

10. Eric!

PR, you LOOK like you hate cats, LMAO!

11. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

I like cats but am certain I appreciate them more if they're not mine. Maybe Rat is just like me: needy as a dog :p
    It's not fun (quite the contrary) to be alone in your house with just your pet and the pet is ignoring you most of the time. With a dog it gets really rare to have an annoyance like this.

Btw: fish in a bowl or some kind of reptile in a terrarium is what's even more depressing to have in a living room imo. I only like pets when we both visibly thrive on eachother s company

Lynnbrown likes this.
  12. deleted

deleted Visitor

godsons little brother has a millipede.. 20171206_180901.jpg

13. skip

skip Founder Administrator

Cat have fascinating personalities. Some may ignore you (they're just not that into you!), others may demand your attention 24/7.
    Cats have a range of emotions, I'd say more varied than dogs.
    You really have to spend a lot of time observing and learning the subtleties of cat behavior.
    Realize that cats are also observing you and learning your behavior.
    They will try to change your behavior in various ways.
    The reason they walk in front of you, almost tripping you is because they want you to pay attention to them, they want something (usually food).

If you've ever watched the behavior of big cats in wild, you can watch the same behavior in your little domesticated cat, which is one of the joys they bring.
    And you don't have to worry about them eating you (until you drop dead in front of them - they'll wait till you ripen a bit first).
    So when you see a cat trying to walk in front of you, or in my cat's case, attack my feet while walking in front of me, you realize that this is big cat behavior.
    When a cat is hungry it hunts down game by first attacking its legs to stop it.
    So your hungry cat is just doing what it's programmed to do to get a meal...

And if your cat ignores you, you might try to turn it into a lap cat, who will sit on your lap indefinitely if that's what you want. If it doesn't oblige try another cat (but keep the one you have too, it might get jealous and want to sit in your lap too!)

14. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

yeah cats come in all varieties. some of them are really fun and friendly. some are just fun to watch. and some are complete assholes.

this. dogs are really the only traditional pet that is really interactive. pretty much everything else is just kind of there to look at when you feel like it. not that i consider that depressing myself, just different from dogs.

Lynnbrown likes this.
  15. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

PR hates everyone and everything unless it supports ludicrous conspiracy theories...

tell that to the nurse shark I had years ago. he/she was very "interactive" with me, as are most of the fish I have now.

but overall I agree, you can't very well take a fish or eel out of the water and pet it and play/wrestle with it,...well you could, but it probably wouldn't end too well for the wet pet...LOL

*it is fun feeding the eels though*

16. themnax

themnax Senior Member

"cats, bonny mad cats, bedlam cats are bonny,
    they leap in the air and they haven't a care
    and sleep upon your tummy"
    and
    "if i leave my smile behind remind me, that we're all mad here, and its ok"

Lynnbrown and MeAgain like this.
  17. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

So you’ve never seen Andrew Lloyd Webber's CATS? ..lol...

GLENGLEN likes this.
  18. Eric!

Nope. But I saw Cat People with Nastassja Kinski, back in the 80s. Good movie, and damn she was hot!

19. themnax

themnax Senior Member

depends on how you define "people"
    sapience isn't a species.
    sentience is to explore and experience the full range of emotions, and yes, even forsee and plan a little.
    the only observable difference of sapience beyond sentience is the drive to inovate,
    evidenced by surrounding ourselves with our artifacts to the degree we are able to imagine ourselves a much more different thing then we really are.

the individualization we think of as 'people', can be observed in nearly all species

20. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

need to get that kiddo something for christmas id recommend some skin cream...he looks awful dry