Cats ... gotta love them

Discussion in 'Pets and Animals' started by Spectacles, Jul 24, 2013.

1. Spectacles

Spectacles My life is a tapestry Lifetime Supporter

A while ago I brought home some corrugated board boxes to pack up some books to take to Goodwill. The project never happened. The boxes were broken down and piled on the floor.

My cat Ember found the boxes and thought that she would make a project of tearing these boxes to shreds one by one. I ended up just letting her have them but realized that she was down to the last box.

I decided to purchase a cat scratcher toy to take the place of the boxes and brought it home last week. I intended to clean up the space and put the toy there. The "toy" came in a box 11 x 11 inches by a yard. The box was sitting in the entryway waiting for me to have the time to clean up the area and set the toy up.

Yesterday Ember just could not stand it so started to attack the box.....

I cleaned up the area and got the toy out and set it up where her boxes had been. So far she has not touched the toy but continues to scratch the box. Now that the box is empty it makes a real cool cave for her as well.

Cats gotta love them. :toetap05:

2. Lynnbrown

Lynnbrown Firecracker

LOL! It must be a cat-thing, for sure. Mine also LOVES scratching up, destroying little by little, cardboard boxes as well as using them for a hide-away.

I've never purchased a scratching post. (I know...I'm a bad mama)

3. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Just like kids. They'd rather play with the box than the expensive toy that came in it.

Specs, try putting some catnip on that scratching post.

4. Ranger

Ranger Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

My cats have a yard, hillside, and beyond that a forest to scratch at will. They come in to scratch a box!

5. LetLovinTakeHold

LetLovinTakeHold Cuz it will if you let it

Save all if your cardboard and make cool scratchy toys for to kitties. You can be as creative as you want to.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. LetLovinTakeHold

LetLovinTakeHold Cuz it will if you let it

Simple version:
    [​IMG]

7. Spectacles

That is the one I bought. :2thumbsup: The tiger one is cool.

Actually this afternoon she got on it and scratched away. I am not creative enough or patient enough to make such a thing. After all, the boxes were sitting on the floor for a year..... I procrastinate as a hobby.

8. Spectacles

She has a turbo scratcher that is like this only in a circle and there is a ball track around it so she can knock the ball back and forth and around and around. :2thumbsup:

Mostly she likes to sit in the window and look out at the birds etc that are outside....or sleep on my bed.

9. Spectacles

You are not a bad mama. This is the first time that I bought anything like this and Ember is my tenth cat.

10. wiccan_witch

wiccan_witch Senior Member

Hahaha that sounds exactly like my cat, I bought her a whole lot of fancy toys and she found a bottle cap on the floor that is now her favourite thing ever. :2thumbsup:

11. hillbillyhippy

hillbillyhippy Member

I think my cat thinks shes part dog from the dog she hung out with all the time. She trees squirrels in the yard, will catch her tail, and will surprisingly follow me everywhere, and stays in my room with the door open, all my other cats have been the kind who will chill with you for a while then go off like " okay i'm done with you for now"

12. Lynnbrown

Lynnbrown Firecracker

Specs, how do Ember and Grace get along?

13. RainyDayHype

RainyDayHype flower power Lifetime Supporter

14. Aerianne

My kitties have this one and they love it; especially when I put some cat nip on it. Baby kitty likes to sleep in the lower loop sometimes.

[​IMG]

15. Ranger

Ranger Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

you mean that thing isn't air borne?

16. Aerianne

It does look like flying carpet, lol

17. Spectacles

They are doing well now. I got Ember from Tyrsonswood when I still had my dog Sunny (Sundance). She really loved him (everyone did. he was such a gentle giant. pics on my page) Ember was one of the stray cats that hung out in Tyrsonswood's yard and was somewhat related to most of his kitties.

After Sunny died I got Grace at the Humane Society. In the beginning Grace thought of Ember as one of her toys (that moved and squeaked). After some training Grace improved and now they play together off and on. Grace still needs to learn that a cat wagging it's tail is not the same as a dog wagging it's tail. If Grace is getting too annoying Ember will get behind Grace and attack her back legs. Ember has learned that that will make Grace go away.

Much of the time they sleep together. Ember has to get the first piece of food whenever Grace gets fed. They hang out together a lot although from time to time there is some sibling rivalry pertaining to who gets to be right next to me when I am in bed. They have pretty much figured out their places there.

I was looking for one similar to that that I had seen on a show on Animal Planet. The one I found is longer and the curves are less severe. The thing is actually called a pet lounge but it is made from pressed corrugated board and is made for scratching. go figure.

By the way Ember has decided that it is an OK thing to have. She was really getting into it yesterday afternoon.