Catholicism and Politics

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Megara, May 23, 2004.

1. LuciferSam

LuciferSam Member

That's still going by your own criteria. There are Catholics that have more open standards. And deviance from papal decree isn't always on the liberal side. Like I said above, traditionalist Catholics (like Mel Gibson) decry Pope John Paul for what they see as his detrimental openness to other faiths.

2. Megara

Megara Banned

i guess we'll have to agree to disagree then

3. mynameiskc

mynameiskc way to go noogs!

lol. impasse. that's the spirit!! i've had this exact same discussion with my conservative christian acquaintances.

4. Jozak

Jozak Member

I am Catholic, but I support 2 gay people getting married by the state, so do my parents, and they are more religious than I am.

That is not the same thing as Kerry actually going to a PRO ABORTION rally- it is a slap in the face to the beliefs of the religion you supposedly "profess".

5. Maggie Sugar

Maggie Sugar Senior Member

That bishop who was trying to deny Communion to anyone who votes for someone who is prochoice, or prostem cell or pro euthinasia should be defrocked!!!!

Some one did a rundown of who in Congress beleived in what, and it was found that MORE RIGHT WING reactionariy politicians would be hurt by this decree than anyone else, as many of them are for and are given money by the drug companies which want stem cell research. Someone was interveiwing this bishop and first of all it was mentioned that the Pope did NOT agree or endorse his actions, secondly, the interviewer mentioned that the Pope disagreed with the War in Iraq, so was this Bishop going to deny Communion to everyone who voted for candidate who STARTED the war the Catholic Church is against. The Bishop, hypocrite that he is, said there was no "biblical basis" to decry war. WTF? I was raised Catholic and the Old Testament is rarely if ever brought into Catholic Doctrin and a LOT of things which are never mentioned in the Bible are (say, abortion, which is NOT mentioned in the Bible!)

6. Kastenfrosch

Kastenfrosch Blaubeerkuchen!! Lifetime Supporter

That is so true! but they argue against abortion with one of the ten commendments, (thou shalt not kill, or something like that).

Personally, I believe that abortion is a bad thing, and it would never be a choice for me. BUT, I believe it should be legal, since the past has shown, that if abortion is illegal, people are going to have it anyway, and if it's not done by professionals with an appropriate medical aftercare and stuff, it's done by somebody else, who feels like being able to do it. So abortions happen under bad hygienic circumstances, without professional personel, which lead to even more deaths, not only the unborn life, but also evenually the mother.
    And I do believe that abortions should only be legal in a certain time, like up to the 8th week, which is usually enough time to decide, what to do.
    A good idea is also to have counseling before the abortion (this is obligatory here in germany) because a lot of women change their mind during this talk.

7. CyberFly

CyberFly Banned

I would be wary about blindly following what any Catholic Priest has to say.

[​IMG]

I would rather be ex communicated from the church than buggered by it. ;)

8. Jozak

Jozak Member

No he shouldn't. He is doing his job.

That is very simplistic of you not to support/support somthing based on if it's in the bible. How the hell is stem cell research or abortion going to be in the bible? Abortion was rarely practiced then,it was not socially acceptable.

9. Jozak

Jozak Member

You really have no respect for anyone's religious beliefs do you? Or is it just the Catholic Church that you don't mind mocking and slamming?

10. mynameiskc

no, he pretty much has no respect for any views except his own.

11. LuciferSam

LuciferSam Member

Well, it's also pretty simplistic of us to still have laws regarding abortion and such only because it's based on something from the bible. Since the Bible is indeed a very antiquated text, maybe it shouldn't even be considered relevent when discussing purely modern issues such as abortion and stem cell research.

12. cynical_otter

cynical_otter Bleh!

the thing is though...

is that the Bible is relevent to the millions of people who's cornerstone of faith is the Bible.

If they try hard enough...they will find something in the Bible to support an anti-stemcell research stance.

even if it's grasping at straws.

13. Jozak

Jozak Member

I agree with you, it shouldn't. I am against abortion from a legal standpoint, not a moral/biblical one. But do I think Christ would support abortion? Obviously not, but that is not relevant, since there are people who don't follow Christ's teachings. I can seperate my politics and religion pretty well.

14. mynameiskc

if you allow religion in government, government will be in religion. not a good thing. but you can't stop people from voting their conscience, nor should we try. it's a tricky, sticky conundrum.

15. CyberFly

CyberFly Banned

I only speak the truth.

Osama bin Laden says Allah is on his side. George Bush says God is on his side. Saddam Hussain said God was on his side. That is what all the tyrants say. What King George is doing in Iraq is evil. I as an American want no part in it. I would rather fight terrorism rather than prostitute the word for oil.

http://www.robert-fisk.com/iraqwarvictims_page1.htm

[​IMG]

"Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum - "Such evil deeds could religion provoke.""

LUCTRETIUS (99-55BC)

16. LuciferSam

LuciferSam Member

I don't know if Saddam would ever say that, he's pretty secular remember. I agree with you otherwise.

17. mynameiskc

i cannot speak for members of other faiths, but jesus was a man of peace, turning the other cheeck and seperating yourself from things like worldly wealth, power, and bureaucratic rules. saying that you're a christian then asking god to help you main and kill your enemies is a mindless endeavor.

18. Jozak

Jozak Member

What does that have anything to do with the Catholic Church? Bush is not even Catholic; he is a fundementalist Protestant.

19. jerry420

jerry420 Doctor of everything Lifetime Supporter

i think every religion has its extremes,

the fundimentalist christians really scare the shit outta me more than anything else. the fundementalists are running the country and thier all about "armageddon", it seems they are actually trying to make it happen.

20. CyberFly

CyberFly Banned

Read more carefully Jozak and you will see that I answered your question. It isn't my fault that Catholic Priests bugger little boys or that Bush got elected by deluded teleEvangilsts that call themselves "The Christian Coalition". I also pointed out the similarities with the Muslim Extremists. Yes I know what religion King George practices. Let me spell it out for you. You asked:

Is it just the Catholic Church that you don't mind mocking and slamming?

Does it look like that it is the only religion I testify against?
    What have I said that isn't true?

What else would you like to discuss, the Salem witch trials, the Spanish Inquisition, or maybe the "Holy" Crusades?

[​IMG]

"Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum - "Such evil deeds could religion provoke.""

LUCTRETIUS (99-55BC)