Catch 22

Discussion in 'Books' started by darsunt, May 20, 2004.

1. darsunt

darsunt Member

Has anyone read Catch 22? That book stands out in my mind as one of the best anti-establishment books I've ever read.

The book is hilarious because the characters act so outrageously. What is really funny, though, is that no matter how outrageous or insane the characters act, there is something in real life that exactly reflects what they do.

2. sky_pink

sky_pink er... what's the time?

I've been to read it for quite some time, but it's hard to get a copy here.

Sounds excellent, of course!

3. Lindiglo

Lindiglo Member

I loved Catch-22!
    I remember cackling loudly while reading it and when I tried to explain to people what was so funny, you could tell they thought I was crazy, too.
    Good times!
    Lindi:)

4. poor_old_dad

poor_old_dad Senior Member

Amen to the "cackling loudly while reading it". It's the first book I ever had to put down because I was laughing soooooo much. Hitchhiker's guide to the Galaxy is another one.

5. antithesis

antithesis Hello

I definitely loved it. Everything in it is so absurd.

6. luv

luv Member

Yeah, I had to laugh out loud as well, reading it. I even started to read bits to my flatmate, because I wanted him to read it too....he never did, lazy git. BRILLIANT book. Nuff said!

7. HippyFreek2004

HippyFreek2004 changed screen name

I think that my favorite part was the one that made me keep reading, it was the scene with Yossarian and Orr fighting because Orr won't tell Yo why he stuffed his cheeks with crabapples and then went into the narrative about the whore hitting him over the head with a spiked heel....I loved that scene.

8. flying_spoo420

flying_spoo420 Member

very funny, I enjoyed. The writer just words it so well, and even just the way he writes is bloody hilarious. The movie wasnt that bad either (alan arkins was just a pup), but it still didnt capture the way he wrote it.

9. AriLew

AriLew Member

War sucks, let's make it funny.

Yossarian is the man (but not The Man).

10. weaselpop

weaselpop Member

I loved that book. So funny. On bit made me feel physically sick. My stomach turned right over. Then it made me laugh straight afterwards. :D Great book

11. Defence_mechanism

Defence_mechanism Member

to tell u the truth, i found the book quite hard to get through. it was amusing at first, and every now and then he came up with something interesting to say and mildly funny... but overall i found the plot to be disconnected and bland. i didnt think there was any real plot development, it was almost a collection of short stories...

sorry. but i didnt like it...:(

12. Vae Victus

Vae Victus Member

It's my favorite book of all time. I guess you could call it my introduction to thought. :)

13. afowlking

afowlking Member

it is a written revolution
    love it or get out
    not physically (not trying to be mean)

14. redyelruc

redyelruc The Yard Man

Such an outrageously funny, unbelievably well written book. I can see why it took almost nine years to write. I have yet to find another book that made me laugh so much while also making me think.

STUPENDOUS.

15. yarapario

yarapario Village Elder

I first read Catch 22 in late 1966, just prior to being drafted into the Army. That book saved my sanity and was my field guide to surviving the military mindset. The absurdity that passes for military thinking was amazing to watch...They were killing us kids then just as they are now but in between the pain and dieing we lived large and outrageous lives. I found that with audacity and daring, mixed well with bullshit you could get by with almost anything. It still cracks me up remembering all the Catch 22 stories mixed with our own real life nonsense. WOW! Helluva book!

16. TributetoME

TributetoME Member

My favorite book. It's hilarious!

17. baloon

baloon Member

I liked it, but I found that it lacked some serious ending, like if the author didnt want to finish it or something... but Heller is definitely a great writer

18. Aristartle

Aristartle Snow Falling on Cedars Lifetime Supporter

It's probably 20 times better than the movie.

Heh, funny story. This girl at work was telling everybody that her friend was in the army and knew somebody named "Major Major" who was just promoted to a Major.

I was like, "Uhhh, I think your friend is pulling your leg there hun. That was a running joke in the novel Catch 22."

She swore that it was true - and nobody else at my work had ever read the book. Mildly embarassing for her I'm sure once she decided to google it like I told her. People are funny.