carpal tunnel

Discussion in 'Knitty Gritty' started by Acorn, Jun 7, 2006.

1. Acorn

Acorn Member

is it possible to get this or any other problems from a crochet/knitting overdose? ive been crocheting a lot the past few days and my right wrist started to feel kinked, not hurting, just kinked.

2. somedude

somedude Member

Any repetitive motion can cause it. But, not that quick. It's kind of a long term, constantly doing the same thing injury. A good massage of the forearms and shoulder region would help.

3. nimh

nimh ~foodie~

are you getting enough vite b6?

4. cerridwen

cerridwen in stitches

Actually early signs of carpel tunnel can start early by just soar muscles. (I've been told by family members who ended up having surgery for such!)

I would suggest - if you're getting soar - to take a day or two off from your yarn crafts and give yourself a good rub down of A535. :) I started getting VERY soar muscles to the point where I had to wear a wrist brace from over-knitting for last christmas.

5. nimh

nimh ~foodie~

i'm dead serious on the b6 thing, whenever i get 'mouse wrist' or knitters wrist, it clears right up with a little b6 baybee. :)

cheers!

ps, i've been reading recently that pple who supplement extra b6 need a bit of extra b12 to balance it out

6. Acorn

Acorn Member

my muscles were fine, it was just my wrist, but it feels better now.
    its sad to think that my hobby could be bad for me.

7. cerridwen

cerridwen in stitches

Acorn, anything done to an excess can be bad, sadly.

8. knitphomaniac

knitphomaniac Banned

The best thing to do is take breaks - like for 10 minutes or so every couple of hours. Or/and soak your hands/wrists in warm water to help relax the muscles once in a while.