carlos castaneda

Discussion in 'Metaphysics, Philosophy and Religion Books' started by LandLoper, Jan 6, 2005.

1. LandLoper

LandLoper Member

has anyone read one of carlos castaneda's books??

2. gnrm23

gnrm23 Senior Member

i have read a few --- good fiction, if you like that sort of thing...
    (check our 'wizard of the upper amzon' & lynn andrew's stuff for more in that genre...)
    but hardly the stuff that anthropologists would regard as legitimate "field research"...
    (for real tales, gotta go to schultes, plowman, wasson, even mckenna bros, etc...)
    ymmv...

3. BlackGuardXIII

BlackGuardXIII fera festiva

5 or 6 up to 'the eagles gift',

1980/82

4. paix

paix Senior Member

I'm partway through "The Teachings Of Don Jaun" right now, and love it, but am having trouble reading it. It's just (for me atleast) not a total attention grabber, so I keep finding other books and reading them in between. I'll get through it though, it's a great book, I'm just past the first peyote trip, which I found fasinating.

5. Crystaleyez

Crystaleyez Member

Tales Of Power inspired one of my out of body experiences.

6. element7

element7 Random fool

studied them at great length a few years ago. Castaneda's books don't jive with standard scholasticism but then again neither does McKenna.

7. nimh

nimh ~foodie~

carlos castaneda is at home on my bookshelf. :D

8. WanderingturnupII

WanderingturnupII Grouchy Old Fart

I heard that he faked his research, and that the school that gave him his degree (UCSD, wasn't it?) took it away.

9. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

10 of them, there is some really good stuff in there if you can read between the lines and accept his poetic license.

10. WanderingturnupII

WanderingturnupII Grouchy Old Fart

I guess I should clarify my post a bit. As Anthropology, his books are fraudulent. As a fictional character, Don Juan has the same kind of reality as Don Quixote de la Mancha, or Sherlock Holmes. However, "quixotic" is now an accepted adjective in English, and you might well have smoked from a "sherlock", even though Dr J. Watson would have called The Great Detective's pipe a "calabash". No one besides a lit scholar would refer to anything as "cervanteian", and while "Arthurian" is in the vocabulary, it does not refer to the works of Sir A.C.Doyle. Perhaps one day Casteneda will enjoy this same kind of immortality.

11. jerry420

jerry420 Doctor of everything Lifetime Supporter

his ex wife lives in my town and is good friends with my father

12. nimh

nimh ~foodie~

dish! what does she have to say?

13. Fallen_stars

Fallen_stars Member

I really really love it...and as a guy who want to study in anthropology I could say that maybe his job lack a little bit of objectivity. In fact, there is not objectivity in his books. But I think It's a great antrhopologic study also, because he really went on the field to see want's going on and he really had experiencing what the thing is about. And he kept his rationality all along....

conclusion: very good books, but you must know how to read between the lines...His approach to antrhopologie is really interesting thought....

14. hiphopforrespect

hiphopforrespect Member

I had a friend ask me a few weeks ago if I read his stuff and I told him that I hadn't and I kind of forgot about him altogether until I saw this post.

What's a good book of his to start out on?