Caring For Abandoned and Feral Cats

Discussion in 'Pets and Animals' started by Aerianne, Oct 20, 2012.

1. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Those fucking asshole raccoon took two kittens last night and also left one more dead and mangled on the porch.

Those fuckers are going down, somehow.

Poor Pretty Face. She lost all 3 of her kittens last night.

2. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

The life of outdoor cats is pretty brutal. R.I.P. babies...

3. Moonglow181

Moonglow181 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

4. Bilby

Bilby Lifetime Supporter and Freerangertarian Super Moderator

Nature is a bastard. Anyway Raccoons are native to NA but cats are not.

5. Aerianne

The raccoon and cats normally get along. The cats sit and watch the raccoon eat their food. I don't know what got into that one raccoon.

Since then we've lost the other little yellow kitten from the carport. It was Irma's sibling. I named it Hamster because it was so tiny and it looked like a hamster. It was just small and failing. One day the mother and the healthy kitten came home to eat and Hamster wasn't with them. Bless him. He was so sweet.

6. Tyrsonswood

That's not necessarily "getting along"... Cats let the raccoon eat their food because they know they can't do anything about it. A 'coon can and will kick a cat's ass everytime... Sorry you lost all those kittens.

Anyways... a few weeks ago I saw a different cat around here,a little Tortie female. When I first saw her she was eating dead bugs on my front stoop, when she saw me looking out the window she kind of slunk away. Today Erin was acting odd, looking out her window, talking and pecking on the glass. Now, normally when Erin sees a feral cat she instinctivly goes batshyt crazy, making her warning call as she does for a coon or a snake... (she hates snakes) She wasn't doing any of that this time, when I looked out there was the little Tortie... Looking back in at Erin.

I figured I would try to get some food out there for her. With the true feral cats this generally doesn't work, they want nothing to do with people and are usually gone by time you open a door, but I thought I would try anyways. I got out there and walked around to that end of the house. As soon as I was getting ready to put the food down Tortie came around the corner, stopped, turned and walked quickly, but not running out into the yard. I went around the hedge the other way and went out to the stump in the yard where I put out yesterday's leftover catfood for whomever wants it... (crows, jays, coons, feral cats) Tortie went around to the backside of the stump, relatively un-afraid. I put down my hand full of dry catfood and she came up and stated eating... I'm at this point thinking she's not feral but a drop-off. She let me pet her and when she was finished started looking around for more... The catfood bag was in the house. So, I pick her up and carried her into the house, got the bag and carried her back out and gave her more food on the patio... She did bite my knuckle as I was heading back out the door with her and the food bag but only because the way I moved my hand she thought I was going to stick her into the bag... No claws or savage biting, didn't try to get away, just a nip as a "warning". Definitely not feral, even knows "people" to let me carry her that far and even into the house. This cat has been around people and even trusts them. She doesn't trust bags though...lol

I petted her some more while she was eating and then went back inside the house while she finished. After awhile I went back out and got her to come to me and she got some more petting and was purring, loudly... She's a gorgeous kitty, I don't understand why anybody could just drop her off in the middle of nowhere. I'm at least 1/4 mile away from the road behind a locked gate, she wasn't dropped at my house on purpose... Just "discarded" along the road somewhere and somehow found my place.

I'll see if she's around tomorrow...

Lynnbrown, Spectacles and GLENGLEN like this.
  7. Aerianne

upload_2017-11-12_20-46-29.jpeg

8. Tyrsonswood

Okay... This is a house cat.

Spooky isn't so sure of that, but that's another story. Spooky hates everybody.

9. Aerianne

You know; give them time.

I have a sweet little Tortie female, too. She was born in April. She's a reincarnation of another cat we had so she got the same name: Sweetie Pie.

10. Tyrsonswood

She's somewhere between Tortie and tiger stripe... Now if I can just keep her from getting on tables, that'd be great.

Erin is even being different about this cat... more curious than anything else.

Lynnbrown likes this.
  11. Aerianne

They say you can do something like put place mats on the counters and tables, then put double sided sticky tape on the place mat. They don't like the tape.

Also, you can get a motion activated can of air that sprays them when they jump up.

The idea is to take you out of the correction so it doesn't become a game to them.

12. Tyrsonswood

Aluminum foil works... But I don't necessarily want aluminum foil all over the place.

13. Aerianne

Yeah, it never stays put.

14. Tyrsonswood

Right now she's sleeping on a chair after having two bowls of food... One outside and one inside. When I first saw her this morning she was eating birdseed on the ground beneath the feeder.

Lynnbrown likes this.
  15. Aerianne

Aw! Bless her heart!

16. Moonglow181

Moonglow181 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

That is wonderful. She knew where to go to be loved and taken care of. I was reading your story yesterday, and thought immediately....oh, no...someone might have put her in a bag to discard her and she scratched and clawed her way out. I have heard so many horrible stories like that, so that is what i thought of. I am glad she found you....and i hope Spooky adjusts.

17. Spectacles

Spectacles My life is a tapestry Lifetime Supporter

What does the cat think about Erin? Has Erin been flying around or is she in her cage?

18. Tyrsonswood

Erin is out now but was inside her cage earlier.... She's acting as if everything is "normal". (whatever that is) The way Erin was acting yesterday I think she already knew this kitty was going to be hers.

They haven't been nose to beak yet though... Something I worry about because beaks can do a lot of damage.

Lynnbrown and Aerianne like this.
  19. Tyrsonswood

Kitten is having a difficult time trying to figure out where to shyt... She has been shown the litter boxes but hasn't successfully used one yet.

Other than stalking her, Spooky has been relatively "nice". At least it was quiet last night. I do believe she found his food dish when he wasn't looking though.

20. Aerianne

I think she will get it as long as Spooky isn't stalking her while she's in the box. If she is, you may need to put another box in another area for the new girl.