Carbs are Killing You (infographic)

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Pressed_Rat, Jun 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

You are right, it is a complex issue and few people understand how their body works.
    In reality, we would all be better off without any sugars at all, unless we are Olympic athletes. Sugar absorbs very quickly and in order to prevent hyperglycemia the body converts it into fat at above about 8%. We then need to replace the sugars as they burn up and since the body does not convert fat back to sugar above about 4%, we just eat a mars bar and compound the problem. Complex carbohydrates such as cereals, convert to sugar far more slowly, keeping pace with demand over the period between meals. That is why, extracting syrup from corn is so controversial, since it tends to trick the bodies natural systems, leading to it's links to type 2 diabetes in the eyes of many doctors.
    Balancing the supply of sugar to it's consumption is the answer, so regular exercise is vital in order to remain healthy and maintain correct body mass. However working out at the gym is not the answer, since we only spend a few hours a week there. Walking to work, using the stairs, rather than the elevator and walking the dog after dinner are far more beneficial. Keeping the heating turned down, particularly at night also helps Eating too soon before sleeping is another problem, since we burn off little sugar when we are sleeping. Perhaps exercising more when we are in bed would help, but I don't see the NHS promoting that idea.:yum:.
    An interesting theory that I have developed, is not eating after about 5pm. This would drop blood sugar levels by bed time and cause us to go into a deeper sleep, provided that someone hides the sweet bedtime drinks. Under these conditions, reverse fat conversion would be able to keep pace with sugar demand. This is exactly what happens when an animal hibernates.

2. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

If you spend energy like on physical labour its clear carbs are just as useful and healthy as fat. Our grandparents got old on it.

Kerri likes this.
  3. Kerri

Kerri Members

We would not be better off without sugars. Homo sapiens ate fruit for tens of thousands of years without a single incidence of type 2 diabetes. The conflation of sugar and refined sugar - which itself isn’t even a problem if the dosage is appropriate - is the problem. Making food the enemy is the problem. Not understanding that food plays a critical social and cultural role for social creatures is the problem

ZenKarma likes this.
  4. David0301

David0301 Members

kerri....i also love topics like that ... i could write pages full of words...but its exhausing.. my keyboard, my fingers :-(

all i can say you have much knowledge, you are great, please keep sharing the knowledge, we must not forget that a lot of brainwashing and lies have been going on in the nutrition area

to make it simple and short, without even having to go scientific ---> if something that you eat makes you fat, meaning you gather fat on your stomach - then there is something wrong with it. Being an asthetic guy, i have been trying all kindzzz of things in the past AND this is the first time I can eat whatever the heck I want and I dont get any fat on the stomach!! - as long as I abstain from starchy carbs - that is rice,noodles,bread,grains AAANNNNDD the best thing is - here it comes - here it comes ----> I DONT HAVE TO DO ANY CARDIO!!!! when I ate all that garbage carbs I had to do cardio just to burn off the fat, NOW i dont do any cardio.I mostly stay at home and have abs!!!!!

Humans are not made to eat them. No wonder all these allergies, and bloating , gluten etc....

( by "abstaining from carbs" i refer to starchy carbs such as the ones mentioned above, not such as fruits,vegtables,honey,nuts those are surely good and healthy)

love you all

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
  5. Kerri

Kerri Members

I don’t need the scientific explanation. I’m a PhD scientist. My husband played division 1 football and he’s currently a nationally ranked powerlifter that’s 265 with abs. I was also D1 athlete who qualifies every year for weightlifting nationals. I have a good understanding of human biology, nutrition and athletic training ;-). I can assure you I am not brainwashed

6. David0301

David0301 Members

back

to avoid misunderstanding: i was referring to starchy carbs. Honey for example has lots of carbs. But you can eat 1 bottle every day and I promise you wont become fat. Cane sugar on the other side makes you fat. As said before lets forget about all the "sciences" and "books". Lets come to real life and see what makes us fat: bread,noodles,grains,rice they all do make you fat. Every athlete knows what im talking about, been there , done that. im much into asthetics so i know for sure. If we think a little further: humans started becoming sedentary when Kerri ? when? yep, exactly , about 10000 years ago. and that was when the plantation of grains started.
    but for how many years have we humans been on earth, kerri??? you know the answer ;-) ....
    look at all the natural tribes we have such as in papua neuginea, they all dont eat that garbage starches, and they have no fat. allright enough evidence, 80kcal, im tired. out-

7. wilsjane

What you say is true, but the concentration of sugars in fruits is far less than the 12 teaspoons of sugar in many cans soft drink. Also fruit fiber is helpful in digestion.
    Our current lifestyle is just as important. People today complain if they need to walk for 5 minutes to the bus stop, whereas my late mother walked 5 miles each way to school in her childhood and 3 miles each way to work until she finally retired at 70. She hardly had a days illness in her lifetime and lived to 98.
    24 hour heating in many peoples homes also reduces their need for metabolism to produce heat. We only use our heating for a couple of hours in the morning (mainly to prevent condensation dampness) and for a few hours in the evening after work, still allowing the house to cool before we go to bed. At week ends, we only use heating during the day for a few weeks of the year, just putting another jumper on the rest of the time.
    i read what you posted about your husband. Clearly he needs sugar for his lifestyle. He is not just lounging on the settee watching it all turn into fats.

David0301 and ZenKarma like this.
  8. Kerri

Kerri Members

No doubt sendentary lifestyles are problematic. It’s true there are no benefits at all to soda, it’s also not at all harmful if the dosage is minimized. A coke with wings while out watching a football game with friends will not immediately produce diabetes

I understand what you’re saying about home heating. I wouldn’t dispute that. I just make the choice to be warm in the house in exchange for exercising my metabolism otherwise ;-)

ZenKarma likes this.
  9. Kerri

Kerri Members

Truthfully what I think is the bigger root cause of preventable chronic disease is the unhealthy relationship we create and perpetuate with food that demonizes it

wilsjane likes this.
  10. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Sedentary lifestyle in combination with overindulging in processed food is obviously the biggest cause for health problems like obesity and diabetes. This can include fatty food as well.

wilsjane likes this.
  11. wilsjane

I think that we agree on all points and just have our slightly different ways of achieving the same result. I imagine that while you like your house to be pleasantly warm, I doubt that you keep it like a sauna.
    What are your views on corn syrup.? Current thinking is that it somehow tricks our hormone glands, causing our blood to run slightly hyperglycemic. This in turn causes fatty arterial deposits that can in turn constrict blood flow to the capillaries above the aortic valve that feed the heart muscles, leading to lower blood flow which compounds the situation and finally results in degenerative heart disease.
    I am not a conspiracy theorist, but the fact that the food giants contribute vast amounts of money to medical research makes me wonder if their is a link to the reluctance of the world health authority to speak out. Meanwhile you will always have a job as a cardiovascular surgeon available if you feel like a career change. LOL

12. Kerri

Kerri Members

Lol if it were up to just me I’d pretty have the thermostat set at sauna ;-)

Yeah I agree on corn syrup, and processed foods and with the corruption in medical research - though there is plenty of legit research as well. I personally think places like Monsanto are genuinely evil. I also think there is just as much self-interested corruption coming from CrossFit the corporation. I don’t think any of it is a conspiracy to make people ill. I think the conspiracy is entirely based on profit. If it were more profitable for these corporations to make healthier food that’s what they’d do

Asmodean likes this.
  13. wilsjane

We seem to agree once again.
    Money is the backbone of western society and we all have to compromise at times to keep the big machine working and fueled.
    My medical work is secondary to a lifetime spent in the theater and film industry and fits into the gaps in my engineering projects.
    Few people watching a film and the news surrounding it realize that the big stars in acting, direction and scoring are just puppets to the big giants who control the industry. The best example was in 1984, when the film of the same name was scored by Dominic Muldowney. This amazing soundtrack was replaced only weeks before opening when Virgin Films bought the distribution rights and added a soundrack to promote their contract with 'The Rhythmics'.
    Dominc's BAFTA nomination was withdrawn and the director handed back his award. Despite all that, it was never publicized by the media

David0301 and Kerri like this.
  14. David0301

David0301 Members

great great quote
    allowing the body to adjust to the season is the best thing you can do to your immune system
    99% of americans have the same temperature all year round

15. David0301

David0301 Members

thats also how i see it

Kerri likes this.
  16. David0301

David0301 Members

thats exactly what paleo diet is kerry , at that time people did not cultivate rice,grains,. they were nomads. so they ate whatever was available in nature as you rightfully said. and thats exactly what i am doing ;-)

17. David0301

David0301 Members

!!! me gusta esta frase :))

wilsjane likes this.
  18. David0301

David0301 Members

wilsjane you got some knowledge, spread it

19. Kerri

Kerri Members

It’s Kerri with an I ;-)

There is anthropological evidence that paleo man did in fact mill carbs to make bread. Many of these same hunter gatherers also ate tons of carbs. Carbs are infinitely easier and less risky and less expensive metabolically to catch than high grade protein is

I think sometimes we pick and choose romanticized elements of early man and hold them up as some sort of gold standard. Early man didn’t brush and floss but we’ve since learned better and no doubt early man would have loved thin mints if there were available.

At any rate, carbs, even highly refined ones aren’t the enemy as long as their use is moderated

Asmodean likes this.
  20. David0301

David0301 Members

actually the poster of this thread should have made it more clear because it says "carbs are killing you" . and carbs to my understanding - allthough english is my 3rd language - is diverse. I dont agree that carbs is killing you. Because fruits and honey is also carbs .he should have titled it "starchy carbs are killing you" . There is more and more studies coming out that humans are not made to ingest grains. All this bloating and fermentation of your guts are signs of it. Some vegans tell me "but birds eat grains all the time" lol, then I tell them birds have a goider (=2nd neck) where they ferment,store and putrify their grains before they enter the stomach. We humans dont have goiders.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.