carbon farming

Discussion in 'The Environment' started by Erin, May 25, 2004.

1. Erin

Erin Member

http://www.calm.wa.gov.au/science/pdf_files/carbon_farming.pdf

“Carbon farming” is the cultivation of trees in order to sequester carbon and then to obtain tradable rights in that carbon. These rights can then be sold to emitters of CO2 and other interested parties.

i think this is a really good idea, i know of a few people who have started doing this, buying 100- acre cleared land and then planting trees and making some money out of it. it also helps with the salinity problem in the wheet belt.

2. adigaskell

adigaskell Member

How does it effect the ecosystem having man made forests popping up all over the place?

3. Tamee

Tamee naked

trees = good. Does it really matter if man planted them? Are we supposed to live in this world as if us and the earth are seperate? As if, as long as we don't touch anything, the earth will be fine? I don't know. I don't know much about how anything affects anything, but I don't see a problem with people planting trees. I do, however, have a problem with them cutting too many of them down. Other animals "plant" also, maybe not knowingly, but they do. Like when seeds from plants get stuck to their fur and fall off later, or when they eat fruit and the seeds are left on the ground, or in their excrement later.

4. Erin

Erin Member

At least their would be an ecosystem. I would rather see 100 acres of trees planted by man, then 100acres of wheet and livestock anyday!! and i think the only way to get people to plant trees and pay attention on whats going on with the enviroment is with $$$.

5. Tamee

Tamee naked

not the only way, but I see what you're sayin'.

6. littleskinny

littleskinny Member

carbon neutral activities and emmissions trading schemes are the way forward