Caravan Of Hondurans Headed To United States

Discussion in 'Latest Hip News Stories' started by Aerianne, Oct 22, 2018.

1. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

hell, If they make it this far north for a small fee they can stay in the loft of my garage as long as they mow the lawn in the summer,
    rake the leaves in the fall, and shovel out my driveway in the winter.

Lynnbrown likes this.
  2. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

You Forgot......Bring The Washing In Off The Line......Oh Whoops.....I Forgot..... :D

Cheers Glen.

hotwater likes this.
  3. Driftwood Gypsy

Driftwood Gypsy Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Meh, they're welcome to coffee and rice roni at my place.

4. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

Rice-A-Roni,
    the Honduran Treat
    Rice-A-Roni,
    the flavor can't be beat
    A group of migrants climbed over the wall with ease
    For a flavor that is sure to please
    Rice-A-Roni,
    the Honduran treat!

stormountainman likes this.
  5. Driftwood Gypsy

Driftwood Gypsy Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I'm not much of a cook but I can fix up a good rice roni.
    I usually throw in a can of chicken and a can of mushrooms, and serve with canned peas and carrots.
    I use the leftover water from the canned stuff for the water called for in the rice roni, to preserve the (salt) flavor.
    It actually becomes quite a feast!

hotwater likes this.
  6. deleted

deleted Visitor

7. Matias

Matias Members

They're welcome under the bridge with me too. I don't have much to give, but I'll gladly share my meals with them :)

8. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

that's very charitable! you're a thoughtful individual, matias.

9. newo

newo Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

10. GuerrillaLorax

GuerrillaLorax along the peripheries of civilization

‘We Put One Step Forward, Kept Movin’ On’: A Report from the Caravan - It's Going Down

"Trump’s line: “we want them here, but they have to come legally” is gaslighting, a blatant lie. For months, asylum seekers have been stranded on the Matamoros bridge near Brownsville where they camp out in tents to seek asylum at a “legal port of entry,” and they are denied. They are told the bridge is closed. If they cross the river and ask for asylum, they criminally charged with crossing illegally.

We entered Foro Sol Stadium on Thursday, Nov 8th. Lining the street to the entrance were tents, mini camps. It was dark, and at the entrance to the stadium was a table with phone chargers and electricity. There was a GA (General Assembly) happening in the middle of the stadium. Immediately after we walked in, about a thousand people, another caravan, arrived and were met with cheers, water bottles thrown in excitement, clapping.

[​IMG]

At the GA that night it was decided that the caravan would travel to Querétaro next. They get started at 5am every day. All decisions are made by members of the caravan. They are an autonomous group. There is help from international humanitarian organizations and faith groups.

Since there are thousands of people, people often split into hundreds or thousands, so there are essentially multiple caravans. We were told that younger men wanted to travel to the TX border, which is closer, but after considering the safety of women and children, who are prioritized in all decisions and travel, it was decided that the caravan would travel to Tijuana. Even though it is much further, it is safer. Querétaro is northwest of MX city.

I witnessed people who were tired, hungry, and sick. People needed shoes. One person asked for money to buy shoes who we interviewed. A child asked for tortillas when we were on the metro leaving MX city.

Even though I didn’t witness the difference in Querétaro, I’ve never been so humbled in my life. I’ve never felt my privilege so strongly as I did there. Having a bed to go home to at night with clean sheets and running water and food, warmth and basic necessities…I told Alexei that I felt I didn’t deserve it. He said they don’t deserve what is happening to them. Both are accurate.

The reality is that as “Americans” in the so-called USA, we are privileged, and we have done nothing to deserve it–our citizenship or the opportunities we have as citizens, the freedom to travel as we do and to pay for things like food in a place like MX, whose currency rate is massively lower.

[​IMG]

OBVIOUS TAKE AWAYS. What is missing from the US narrative are the reasons people are fleeing their homes, risking their lives and the lives of their children. Talking about the caravan as if this happened in a vacuum is ignorant and racist. US foreign policies, imperialism, and capitalism have contributed to the destabilization of many countries, including Honduras.

As long as we have borders, nations, imperialism, and capitalism we will see mass waves of refugees fleeing their homes escaping violence and poverty in search of something better. These all create the systems of oppression that force mass migrations. We will continue to see refugees fleeing destabilized countries as long as we continue to exploit them.

We have to look at the root causes. The future is one without borders, without nations, the absence of capitalism.

11. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

It's going to get worse before it gets better. What you call for will eventually take place , but not until catastrophe rules most every ones lives. It must be obvious to anyone that stops to think about the current situation that has ensnared most people into buying more, more and then some more. Earth is a pretty large place, for sure----but if the path chosen continues with greed and resource extraction----chaos is inevitable due to the hold the rich will have the remaining resources to use for themselves. They are going to continue to deny the weather is changing for the worst ,right up until we're standing in water up to our knees with our hair on fire dodging bullets from all directions.
    To make this as simple as possible: Load your dining room table with dishes, glasses, or anything, until it's completely covered. Remove items until there are no more items. Inevitable for resource extraction? How could it be otherwise? This "caravan" and those in Europe are just the beginning of mass migrations

And please don't forget--------------BUY MORE. BUY MORE NOW. BLESSING OF THE MASSES BE UPON YOU.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2018
  12. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

I saw a wall that was built, and its keeping people out.

Even if that part of the wall was built before Trump, footage like that still makes him look strong

13. deleted

deleted Visitor

How I picture the caravan ...

I dont even believe in boarders/ I think everyone from Canada to Panama should just be able to move about this space as one unit.. South America, is on its own.

storch likes this.
  14. Lynnbrown

Lynnbrown Firecracker

I read the 1st few pages and then this one...so I admit to not reading it all. BUT I have a question and I really hope someone answers me...

I was informed (on fb) that Mexico had offered temporary work permits to those that wanted to seek asylum in Mexico. However, it seems that relatively nobody wants this. Is it because of the places the migrants must remain: in Mexico's southern Chiapas and Oaxaca states?. I know the caravan chose to not go a certain way because of the danger involved but chose a longer route because it wouldn't be considered as dangerous.

At any rate, with Orange Dumbo on this end saying they will NOT get through...these people must be desperate. My heart goes out to them.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2018
  15. Oldiebutgoodie

Oldiebutgoodie Members

Paying lip service does not help. Get off some cash and send it now to a humanitarian agency, not a political group but a true charity that will help. Give till it hurts. Skip the coffee at Starbucks.

16. deleted

deleted Visitor

their living conditions wouldn't be any different in Mexico. I watch telemundo and univision every day. Mexico is not some third world country. its a giant extension of Texas and California ..

17. Lynnbrown

Lynnbrown Firecracker

At the risk of being stupid, then why won't they accept this asylum they are being offered in Mexico do you think?

I do NOT think they are going to be granted asylum here....not unless things are completely different than I think they are.

18. Matias

Matias Members

My heart goes out to them too. There situation is only made worse by our lack of empathy and our government's lack of humanity.

Currently trying myself. I don't own much, but whatever I can give I'll give to humanitarian organizations that can/will help.

Lynnbrown likes this.
  19. deleted

deleted Visitor

they are being told to go to the USA by groups of narco/cartels and other embodiment's
    I was watching a local news, a back stage channel. they host some the lawyers, and news anchors from the area. They were talking about the caravan. Here in Pgh they rounded up a few illegals already with nowhere to go. County jail cant manage them, there are not enough translators. Often now catching in groups, they dont seem to be combative, but they are heavenly lost in a new world. How they are not from the current caravan, but from over a few years ago. One of the lawyers though its was being staged the other clearly said its been going on since the 90s bro. he was down there, they would toss rock and get the border guards to one place and breach another area..
    it was on this show..
    PCNC NightTalk (@PCNCnighttalk) | Twitter

20. GuerrillaLorax

GuerrillaLorax along the peripheries of civilization

Many of them are taking Mexico's offer. Probably thousands of them. And Mexico only made that offer because Trump forced them to. Some american analysts state that almost none of the caravan will go all the way to the border. Although the reports from inside the caravan make them sound pretty determined.

Lynnbrown likes this.