Caravan Of Hondurans Headed To United States

Discussion in 'Latest Hip News Stories' started by Aerianne, Oct 22, 2018.

1. WOLF ANGEL

WOLF ANGEL Senior Member - A Fool on the Hill Lifetime Supporter

I hardly think this Caravan is "sneaking" across the border - moreover it is quite obvious advertising of the act.
    Whilst you are right that demand should not equate to acceptance - it is the greater picture that many are missing - that being that identification of the cause and then to seek to assist, is in it's own way a 'courteous' response. The NIMBY (Not in my back yard) approach seems to akin to closing a door in an igloo and leaving several people freezing outside.
    (Or in this case the promotion of a wall - well that was tried in Europe not that long ago - and proved not to work/ be the solution in a Nations political leadership - which in turn also fell)

MeAgain likes this.
  2. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

I agree. I feel like the entire ethos of bumper stickers, pickup trucks, Harley Davidson, and flag waving/gun owning is partly meant to intimidate harass and annoy minorities.

stormountainman likes this.
  3. It had to be spelled out that if they didn't go to a port of entry, Trump's pen would steal their dreams. The potential for sneaking has been there for decades and there are even rumors of Bangladeshis hiding out in the "caravan" (it would be the perfect cover for any con artist, criminal or fanatic). But of course, who can be trusted to report on this accurately? Nobody it seems. So instead I'll just pick and choose what parts I think are more feasible than others.

I do wonder where anyone thinks it's a good idea to wave the flag of one nation while holding out their hand to another for refuge. There's a disconnect there that I think is lost on some folks.

4. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

It's a different world that they're coming from. It seems like you're placing blame on them. It isn't their fault.

stormountainman likes this.
  5. quark

quark Parts Unknown

Planet Caravan - Black Sabbath

Orison likes this.
  6. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

You sure its their right to skip over guatemala and mexico to claim asylum in the US?

7. It's certainly on them to be carrying the banner from a nation they hope to abandon. They'd win the hearts and minds if they disposed of the flags earlier in the game.

8. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

You can tell just by the way the article us written, chop up pieces that are indirect quotes so it sounds one way.

"A role in" isnt the same as "US backed"

And there doesnt seem to be any mention in that of US involvement before or during the coup only after -so the shit doesnt hit the fan.

A direct quote from Hillary please, how exactly are you claiming she admitted involvement in the 2009 Honduran coup?

And what are we talking about with "right wing" there, Hillary was pretty hard line as SOS just because she was a democrat doesnt mean she wasnt right wing, especially in that role

WritersPanic likes this.
  9. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

If they carried the U.S. flag (Meagain take note) people would be bitching about how presumptuous that would be, since they're not U.S. citizens. They may be carrying the Honduran flag to show they're Hondurans. Why does it bother you?

Last edited: Nov 15, 2018
    soulcompromise likes this.
  10. deleted

deleted Visitor

Maybe Costa Rica and Guatemala will be a nice place to visit now.

storch likes this.
  11. Why doesn't it bother you? And what's the point of coming to America if you don't want to be an American? Also, before you pull your boat into a port, the polite thing to do is raise the flag of that port. Harbor masters prefer it that way. IJS

I think you're asking questions where you already know the answers. What's the point of doing that?

12. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

What is the source of the rumors? the Oval Office seems to be a biggie. The crisis is upon us. The refugees are at the gates. What to do? Let them make their cases for asylum. I'd expect most, if not all, will be turned down. Then it will be a question of shipping them home.

13. I'm thinking their home nations won't be paying for all that shipping either.

It still has the feel of people coming to your restaurant, to tell you how lousy it is, while praising a restaurant back home that made them sick enough times to branch out.

Again, I wouldn't want to see hordes of invading Swedes either. Do it right, or don't enter, same as much of life.

14. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

Well they aren't pulling their boats into a harbor, and they may not be acquainted with nautical etiquette. Besides, at the time the photo was purportedly taken, they were quite some distance from the border, marching through Mexican territory. I don't assume from the "fact" that they're carrying a Honduran flag that they don't want to be United States citizens or residents. (Meagain might tell you they're already Americans.) I'm also cynical enough to allow for the possibility that these photos are fake or misleading. There is in fact a history of this with migrant photos in Europe and photos of the caravan to the U.S.
    Debunking 5 Viral Images of the Migrant Caravan
    Viral flag-burning photos are not from the migrant caravan
    I also suspect, as I've said before, that the caravan is not a spontaneous development, but is organized by somebody with an agenda. The question is by whom.The proximity to the U.S. national elections is suspect, and the even has certainly been used to gin up support for Republicans, but I think immigrant advocacy groups are possible culprits. Pueblo Sin Fronteras, an organization which has put together similar migrant groups in the past and is critical of the Honduras Government, has been identified as organizers, although it claims the movement is spontaneous. Pueblo Sin Fronteras is a subsidiary of La Familia Latina Unida, a Chicago, Illinois-based immigrant advocacy group, which is affiliated with Centro Sin Fronteras (“Center Without Borders”). Who is behind the migrant caravan that drew Trump's ire on Twitter? The legal claims of the migrants are being handled by Nexus Services, Inc., through its subsidiary Nexus Derechos Humanos (Human Rights) Attorneys Inc. The Squirrel Hill shooter in Pittsburgh blamed HIASS, a Jewish group that supports immigrants, of being involved, which seems unlikely.

In any event, in order to get into the U.S., the folks in the caravan will have to either convince U.S. officials that they qualify for asylum or somehow sneak in. The U.S. officials don't seem to be receptive to a broad view of asylum, and the borders are being closely watched. Those who try to sneak in will have to take their chances with the U.S. armed forces and militias.

I ask questions even though I think I know the answers because (1) sometimes I'm wrong and am providing the opportunity to be straightened out; and (2) sometimes the person I'm asking questions of may have overlooked something which would change his/her opinion.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2018
  15. stormountainman

stormountainman Soy Un Truckero

That's the truth!

snowtiggernd likes this.
  16. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

17. GuerrillaLorax

GuerrillaLorax along the peripheries of civilization

It's hilarious how right-wingers can't fathom why people wouldn't want to be american ahaha. I mean, how can somebody not know the answer to this?

18. Labeling people totally makes your case, but do please explain what you're talking about. It seems conflicted. If they don't want to be Americans, what's the point of entering the US at all? Why go someplace you don't actually want to be? And why pick nasty old racist America? Haven't they heard that we're just a few votes from reinstating slavery?

I could probably come up with more -isms if I actually looked into it. Until then, I'm tokin' [​IMG] (right wingers toke too, right?)

19. stormountainman

stormountainman Soy Un Truckero

The people in that caravan must be wanting to come here and hide right alongside the 3,000,000 illegals who Trump says voted for Hillary. It has absolutely nothing to do with the need to bring their children to safety and a normal life.

onceburned likes this.
  20. Driftwood Gypsy

Driftwood Gypsy Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

If they make it up north, I'll make coffee and rice-roni with donations maybe... And grilled cheese