capsaicin~cayenne powder

Discussion in 'Let Food Be Your Medicine' started by nimh, Aug 25, 2006.

1. nimh

nimh ~foodie~

capsaicin

• helps with arthritis,
    • decreases the inflamatory response of the body,
    • works against intestinal parasites and
    • helps speed up metabolism.
    • can even produce a state of euphoria bc it encourages the formation of endorphins in the body
    • works against cancer cells
    when i was camping, i was getting arthitis pain in my fingers. yeah, i'm only 34, but arthritis runs in my family and it was getting cold and chilly at night. anyways, i picked up some cayenne powder capsules. make sure you take those puppies with a meal! i made the mistake of taking 2 on an empty stomach, and that burned for a while. anyways, the aches in my fingers went away and i felt a sense of general well-being

wickipedia

2. nimh

nimh ~foodie~

http://www.alive.com/317a1a2.php

3. nimh

nimh ~foodie~

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4188/is_20060327/ai_n16179190/print

4. nimh

nimh ~foodie~

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0NAH/is_2_36/ai_n16520016/print

5. Bilby

Bilby Lifetime Supporter and Freerangertarian Super Moderator

This is very interesting. I get a touch of arthrirtus in cold damp weather, hence I live in a Medditeranean climate. I thought you were not all that bothered about cholesterol levels these days.;)

6. nimh

nimh ~foodie~

well, there's hdl, and ldl. i havent had my own cholesterol levels checked. i guess it's just an added bonus that capsacin helps lower the 'bad' cholesterols, but really it all boils down to making sure that the body doesnt go into an inflammatory state. capscaisin is wonderful as an antiinflamatory. inflammation ultimately leads to the degenerative diseases of aging

capsaicin cream is also something worth mentioning, it works wonders as a topical application for large joint pain. most pple dont like using it on their hands though because the stuff burns like crazy if you forget it's on and touch your eyes or whatever.

ps, want to start a cholesterol thread bilby? it's a pretty complex subject and i think it deseves a thread of its own.

7. tigerlily

tigerlily proud mama

hmm i've been having what i think are arthritis pains in my fingers lately. i eat a lot of chiles generally, red pepper flakes and stuff. i didn't read all the articles so i might be asking a dumb question, but is it strictly cayenne powder, or all peppers? should i increase my intake of chiles? hehe

8. nimh

nimh ~foodie~

capsaicin is the stuff in hot peppers that makes them hot (so all of them!). i dont personally like that much heat in my food, so i take cayenne pepper in capsule form. but, hey, if you like the heat, go for it!! :)