Cannabis influence on brain

Discussion in 'Medicinal Cannabis and Marijuana' started by LecrameMark, Aug 21, 2019.

1. TrudginAcrossTheTundra

TrudginAcrossTheTundra Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Why would you ask me three questions which some have been addressed and others immaterial?

And why would you suggest we would have different reasons for wishing for more research regarding my expression of curiosity regarding the effect of cannabis in mitigating the effects of Alzheimers?

Wouldn't the only reason for wanting research be to find out more about it? Do you have some different reason?

I have to say, it feels like you're trying to start a fight or something. Could be just me, but I ask you to please be more congenial for the benefit of the zen of the forum.

scratcho and Tyrsonswood like this.
  2. srgreene

srgreene Members

We might want to focus on finding different things. You offered no rationale to focus on Alzheimers; moreover, I am unaware of any research to suggest that mj may be helpful in treating the decline in cognitive abilities associated with Alzheimers. Curious, I would say, that a drug implicated in causing a decline in cognitive abilities would be useful in slowing a decline, but I certainly couldn't rule it out.

I'm sorry you think I am being "uncongenial", and I probably could have been more tactful than to ask if you wished it were so. Admittedly, I am blunt, but I don't believe I am disrespectful. I was being challenging, perhaps too abruptly so.

I do notice in what I read, you provided no rationale for thinking mj might be therapeutic for treating Alzheimers. Based on my knowledge of mj, I think there are more important areas to study about its biological affects- particularly its affect on developing brains. I also get the sense that you prefer to avoid pointed questions.

3. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I don't really know if I believe that weed does all the things people say it does. If 100 people smoke weed and 100 people end up with health ailments from cancer to Alzheimers, where's the conclusive evidence? People get diseases who've never touched a drug or drink in their life, so to me it's just scare tactics. Smoking weed isn't necessarily going to give you Alzheimers or cancer IMO, you're just as likely to cop a significant illness whether you smoke it or not.

4. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

The Effects of Medical Marijuana on Alzheimer’s Treatment

5. srgreene

srgreene Members

Interesting, I must admit. Of course, I think marijuana slows down all brain activity! As you may be aware, drugs that slow the production of beta-amloid proteins have, so far, been a bust in clinical trials, so much so that pharma companies have about given up on them. A once-promising avenue that seems to be a cropper.

And I still claim, given the huge increase in mj smoking, that there are more important areas of research than marijuana's effect on a disease that affects primarily the elderly.

Thanks for writing.

6. srgreene

srgreene Members

Absolutely- you're gonna die no matter what!

7. TrudginAcrossTheTundra

We're all in this together... let's avoid pointing fingers and questions. Yes, we can discourse respectfully.

Even the stuff we think is well researched often leaves things unmonitored which I have to wonder isn't affecting the findings. In the human body it's kinda hard to isolate one variable while leaving everything else to chance even if we suspect everything unknown is immaterial which we have no way of knowing for sure. In the case of my curiosity of pot's effects on my mom's dementia, I would not have conducted a blind test with controls on many subjects, I simply would have had her ingest a moderate dose and judge for myself whether any cognitive effects were manifested based on my knowing her and her daily behavior. I'd know if it helped, or hurt, or neither enough to notice. And only if it demonstrably helped would I allow it to continue. When your loved one is "gone", I think it's worth trying anything that might bring them back, even if only temporarily and partially, especially considering life is temporary anyway. If pot could be obtained and possessed legally where I was, I would have given it a shot. But the anointed government elite think they know what's best for all their constituents, and will punish us if we go against their decrees. So I never found out. We need to be saved from our own stupidity, apparently. And bow to the medical industrial complex which exclusively profits from our ailments and funds political campaigns. Oh well, at least we're a "free country". Hopefully, they'll see fit to lift the federal restrictions so research can proceed. Doesn't hurt to dream.

"All things in moderation."

Cheers.

scratcho likes this.
  8. Cannabis turns you super human.

9. parua

parua Members

I have yet to find any thing that enhances my cachinnation as much as cannabis.

10. Tyrsonswood

11. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

sort of like how they give speed to kids to treat their ADHD. drugs are weird.

12. TrudginAcrossTheTundra

It doesn't even need to be prescribed by a physician to provide the benefits. It just needs to be administered in moderation with common sense.
    It's like anything else. Take orange juice as a random example. A glass is good. Much more and maybe not so much.
    Physicians don't prescribe how much wine to drink. By the same token, they needn't tell me how much weed to smoke, either. I'll have a better outcome by deciding for myself. For those who can't figure out either, maybe just skip them. Or get a "professional" to assign them a schedule and hope his or her judgement is beneficial to them (a leap of faith, in my opinion).

Nadia Ramsey likes this.
  13. Idlewild

Idlewild Members

Alcohol is far more dangerous than pot. Unless you have self-esteem issues. Then pot can be more dangerous and make you paranoid whereas alcohol can make you feel better about yourself.

14. TrudginAcrossTheTundra

That's an interesting take... ...

It's like you're saying, pot makes you think more while alcohol makes you think less. Hadn't thought about it like that before but it does match my experience. And not just contemplative type thinking, or introspection, but task handling as well. I can catch a buzz and be totally on top of dangerous equipment operation, precise, quick, and calculating - can't make the same claim for alcohol.

15. TrudginAcrossTheTundra

So based on what I did with my cat, I now know everything that needs to be known about marihuana? That, meanwhile, even a child knows?

Okaaay...

16. Tyrsonswood

You missed the part that was a spam link for "The Hempire".... Most or all of that members posts contain some kind of spam link.

17. TrudginAcrossTheTundra

Haha got me then! I never heard that term before, it just seemed like one of those new word creations that I took to mean people involved with hemp. Thanks. The whole thing was pretty bizarre.

18. srgreene

srgreene Members

Nadia, what are your qualifications for making such a pronouncement? I think research indicates that even small amounts are hazardous, particularly to younger people whose neuronal pathways are still being set. I don't doubt that mj can have some medicinal affects, but it also is a dangerous drug with many physiological effects.

19. TrudginAcrossTheTundra

Hey, I became a stoner in 7th grade, and look at me, I'm Kick-Ass!
    hehe in the voice of Jack Black (who's white)

I mean, even small amounts of water can be hazardous.
    "It's a half an inch of water and you think you're gonna drown" - Prine (rip)

Sorry, I just wanted to point out that you can find a study to say anything you want to say.
    It's a complex scenario: instantaneous dosage amounts, time between, average long term, duration and spacing of purge times... Way more complex than any limited study. Nobody is diligent enough to tackle the enormity of study that would be required to confirm specifics with a reasonable degree of certainty. But in the meantime, we can always resort to common sense. I guess it would be fair to ask these days who's qualified to exhibit common sense...

Nadia Ramsey likes this.
  20. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

I feel like cannabis depleted my libido - like while I'm on it, not in the long-term. Lots of things have that effect on me though. Exercise is as good as a cold shower for me. It's such a joy, exercise... But so is cannabis.