Cannabis found to lower blood sugar

Discussion in 'Medicinal Cannabis and Marijuana' started by ~Zen~, Jul 23, 2022.

1. ~Zen~

~Zen~ California Tripper Administrator

Cannabis found to lower blood sugar.

Have you ever seen someone pass out after one or two tokes? It's quite possible they lost consciousness due to low blood sugar. People who haven't eaten or drank anything for hours, like in the morning, are more susceptible. In fact, low blood sugar can cause the munchies. Yet, it seems that regular marijuana users, despite binge eating, have less obesity and fewer cases of diabetes.
    And now a recent study claims that using marijuana actually helps people balance their blood sugar. The study looked at the relationship between cannabis use and fasting insulin, glucose, and insulin resistance. It found a positive relationship between recent marijuana use and healthy levels of glucose and insulin. Could this be why some people use it all the time?
    The National Health and Nutrition Survey, looked at the survey responses and blood levels of 4,657 patients, divided nearly in half between people who have used cannabis and those who never used it.
    “Participants who reported using marijuana in the past month had lower levels of fasting insulin and HOMA-IR and higher levels of high-density lipoprotein cholesterol (HDL-C). These associations were weaker among those who reported using marijuana at least once, but not in the past thirty days, suggesting that the impact of marijuana use on insulin and insulin resistance exists during periods of recent use. Current users had 16% lower fasting insulin levels than participants who reported never having used marijuana in their lifetimes.
    Large waist circumference is linked to diabetes risk. In the current study there were also significant associations between marijuana use and smaller waist circumferences... Although people who smoke marijuana have higher average caloric intake levels than non-users, marijuana use has been associated with lower body-mass index (BMI) in two previous surveys.”
    Other studies have found less obesity and diabetes in marijuana users than the general population. Obesity and diabetes are two great killers in our affluent society. So perhaps marijuana is just what is needed to keep our blood sugar from getting out of hand and prevent obesity. Some people insist that marijuana acts as a balancing mechanism for our bodies, keeping metabolic processes in check. So this would seem to validate that concept.
    http://nwitimes.com/app/gethealthy/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/obesity.jpg

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/44193000/gif/_44193183_obesity_gr_women.gif

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/44342000/gif/_44342178_global_obesity_map416.gif

Read more: Marijuana users have better blood sugar control

Totally Yoda likes this.
  2. newo

newo Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Problem is you get the munchies, eat a couple Snickers and then your blood sugar zooms.

Etherea and ~Zen~ like this.
  3. ~Zen~

Exactly!

Here I tend to eat something home made however...

Not much to do except make the best food I can :)

4. Totally Yoda

Totally Yoda Members

I don't always get the munchies. When I do. I fight it by staying preoccupied.

~Zen~ likes this.
  5. ~Zen~

Here's a tip from the Internet:

High CBD Strains to Avoid The Munchies

Many popular cannabis strains will have less than 1% CBD content. Therefore, strains with over 4% CBD are considered to be CBD-rich or high CBD strains. The following high CBD strains may offer a number of therapeutic benefits without causing the munchies.

1. Remedy

Remedy is a lemon-scented cannabis strain with about 14% CBD and 1% THC. This strain is non-psychoactive and known for possibly relieving stress and anxiety.

2. ACDC

This is another anti-munchies strain with at least 14% CBD and less than 1% THC. It is a strain users choose for help managing pain and providing relaxation.

3. Lifter

As the name suggests, Lifter is an energizing strain that is packed with CBD. It has about 16% CBD with close to zero THC. A favorite among daytime users, it is non-intoxicating and a mood enhancing strain.

4. Charlotte’s Web

This is one of the most popular high CBD strains that boasts of at least 13% CBD. Users report it may ease anxiety and may alleviate symptoms associated with childhood epilepsy.

5. Cherry Wine

This wine-scented strain has over 16% CBD and less than 1% THC. It is a choice strain for relaxation after a hard day’s work, and it will not trigger the munchies.

Other high CBD strains that may not cause the munchies include Harle-Tsu, Ringo’s gift, and Sour Tsunami.

THCV on Appetite

A different cannabinoid called Δ9-Tetrahydrocannabivarin (THCV) has apparent appetite suppressing effects. Rodent studies have shown that THCV is able to decrease appetite, increase satiety, and increase energy metabolism. This may make it instrumental in weight loss, for obesity, and the prevention of type 2 diabetes. Cannabis strains that contain high amounts of THCV are likely to suppress appetite and reduce the munchies.

High THCV Strains

The following strains have high THCV content which means that they may have appetite suppressing effects. THCV may also offer additional benefits such as improving bone health, although more research and human data is needed to confirm this.

6. Durban Poison

Durban Poison is an award winning cannabis strain with a high THCV content of about 1%. This sativa strain has been reported as beneficial at suppressing appetite.

7. Doug’s Varin

Doug’s Varin is known for having the highest THC: THCV ratio which is about 5:4. Being high in concentration, it is a choice strain for concentrates, tinctures, and vape pens. This strain may offer mental stimulation as well as suppress appetite.

8. Pink Boost Goddess

Pink Boost Goddess, is a specialized strain that is an indica-dominant hybrid, compared to most other high THCV strains that are pure sativa. This limited strain is only available in select dispensaries in California.

9. Pineapple Purps

This strain has about 4% THCV and is popular for its energizing effects. It has a sweet and citrusy aroma.

10. Jack the Ripper

Jack the Ripper is a high THC high THCV strain. It probably has the highest amount of THCV in the market with most types having about 5% THCV and about 22% THC.

Tyrsonswood likes this.
  6. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

THCv also has a stimulant effect... It's one of my main noids when I'm making my Delta 8 THC blends. I also use CBG a lot.

~Zen~ likes this.
  7. newo

Don't forget Gorilla Glue! It gets you high without the munchies!

~Zen~ likes this.
  8. ~Zen~

I love the Gorilla Glue :) I know the guy who created the strain... he was famous down in Nor Cal for teasing site members with location clues.

If you could find the location you'd find a flat of sprouted Gorilla Glue clone babies.

He also gave away a lot of seeds in contests...

9. Time Out of Mind

Time Out of Mind Members

Pennywise is another high CBD strain. It’s listed as a to a 1 to 1 CBD to THC ratio. Very hard to find in my part of the world.

~Zen~ likes this.
  10. newo

I have some Pennywise. I smoke it at night before bed, helps me sleep.

Time Out of Mind and ~Zen~ like this.
  11. rasta g child

rasta g child flower power

orange cru$h