candle making

Discussion in 'Fashion and Crafts' started by passapatanzy, May 27, 2005.

1. passapatanzy

passapatanzy Member

so i want to start making candles, i have a bunch i wanna melt down together to make one big one. i got a candle from this guy at a craft fair, and he said something about using ice to make the candle have a bunch of holes that makes it look like a bee-hive. does anyone he any idea what im talking about? or any other cool ways to do candles or websites. thanksss

2. ImmortalDissident

ImmortalDissident Senior Member

Yeah, when you have your wax in the mold, drop some ice cubes in. The wax is hydrophobic, so it will move away from the ice and create the funky holes you are thinking of. The other way you could do it is get a deep pot (like for pasta) and fill it with cold water, then drop your mold down into the water with tongs.

3. cerridwen

cerridwen in stitches

there are some craft stores that carry candle molds too. Just make sure, if you're going to use them, to rub a little oil around the edges so the candle pops out easier.

4. cerridwen

cerridwen in stitches

5. pokey19

pokey19 Members

Does anyone know where you can buy some candle dyes for making taper candles in Australia ?