Cancer, fuck...

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by YouFreeMe, Oct 5, 2013.

1. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

So,

My boyfriends' friend was diagnosed with Pancreatic Cancer on Sept 2nd. He died on Oct 2nd. Like...fuck...one month to live. It's crazy, how fast it happened. It's almost hard to believe. I wasn't incredibly close to him, but still. What would you do, in his situation? If you had a month to live? Also, any cancer survivors here on the HF? How did it affect you?

2. jenessy

jenessy Member

My aunt had pancreatic and intestinal cancer. They gave her two to six months to live but passed away not even two weeks later. I wasn't extremely close to her but I went out to see her and stayed for a couple days. One day she was fine and the next she was gone :( I think the best thing to do would make amends with anyone and just cherish the small things. Realistically speaking you wouldn't have the energy to do much so its all about staying positive and not letting yourself play the victim card.

3. wiccan_witch

wiccan_witch Senior Member

Same with my great-aunt. Pancreatic cancer diagnosis - died 3 weeks later.

Ever wonder what would happen if they hadn't known? Would they have lived longer?. :(

4. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

How old was your boyfriend's friend? I thought it was mostly older men afflicted with prostate cancer (not that there can't be exceptions). Ironically, prostate cancer is also one of the most treatable forms of cancer, but that is if it's caught early, I think.

But yeah, it makes you think for sure.

5. newbie-one

newbie-one one with the newbiverse

sorry to hear about your bf's friend.

there's a cancer survivor's forum here.

one month to live... that's a tough question.

Cramming all the fun you can into your last days seems like an obvious answer, but I'm not sure that would be the right thing to do.

Jenessy seems to have it right about making amends.

also, any other unfinished business, get in touch with people who are important to you, say good bye etc.

6. newbie-one

no rat, pancreatic cancer

7. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

Sorry, I'm slow tonight. Too much weed and not enough sleep.

8. newbie-one

don't worry, it happens

9. thedope

thedope glad attention Lifetime Supporter

I blame it on the inverse proportions not enough weed and too much sleep.

10. thedope

thedope glad attention Lifetime Supporter

Had a sister in law with brain cancer and a daughter with a cancerous appendix that spread to her bowel. Daughter has recovered with surgery and therapy. Uncertainty was scary for her but we are resilient and fear turns predominantly unfounded.

Sister in law had six months was done in three. She simply withdrew loosing her faculties with the assistance of her pharmaceutical training, she was a pharmacist, as a life long friend cared for her.

11. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

Go out in a blaze of glory [​IMG]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrmUpso_xT8"]Bonnie and Clyde (1967). Final scene - YouTube

hotwater

12. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

56....and yea, Pancreatic, not Prostate. Still though, I guess it doesn't matter much.

13. Meliai

Meliai Banned

when he was diagnosed did they know he would only live another month or so or was there hope he could possibly last longer? It would be very difficult deal with knowing your time is that limited. I think I would just hold everyone I love every close and cocoon myself in that love.

14. Cherea

Cherea Senior Member

Hard to say unless I actually was in that situation. It's easy to say, I'd live my life to the fullest. But, I have a hunch a lot of things would stay the same alongside a lot of grieving. Not to mention swallowing pills, and spending most of my days between chemo and doctor appointments.

Also, I imagine there's a risk a lot of people would want to 'help' me, and make things more unpleasant in the process.

Then going back to doing the things I enjoyed in order to get my mind off it. However, I'm not closed off the the idea that some surprising signs of strength could happen.

15. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

"dream as if you'll live forever.... live as if you'll die tomorrow"

16. Kinky Ramona

Kinky Ramona Back by popular demand!

My best friend's mother was diagnosed with leukemia at the end of October last year, around Halloween, and passed away on November 21. It's kind of crazy how some people can fight and beat the shit out of cancer and how it just steals life so quickly from others. There was a guy here in town, very well known because he owned the town's pizza joint and video store and he was diagnosed with cancer (I think it was also leukemia) and he died the second the first drop of chemo hit his veins. Crazy shit. But I have a friend who was just declared cancer-free a second time around (first time cervical cancer, this time around was breast cancer) after about 7 or 8 months of fighting. Cancer is a strange thing.

17. Spectacles

Spectacles My life is a tapestry Lifetime Supporter

I think that Pancreatic cancer is one that is often very advanced and often metastasized before it is found. That is probably why people don't have a whole lot of time after it is diagnosed.

18. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Member

Cancer is a bitch.
    I've had my grandfather pass away from it. Started in his kidneys before spreading to other parts of his body.
    Fought valiantly for about 2 and a bit years, though.

19. Jimmy P

Jimmy P bastion of awesomeness

My cousin's daughter has been battling brain cancer for years. They are expecting her to go any day now, she's unable to speak or move and is barely squeezing her parents' hands any more.

She's 7.

20. Spectacles

Spectacles My life is a tapestry Lifetime Supporter

Sorry Jimmy. That must be so difficult for all the family.