Canadian Universities

Discussion in 'Higher Ed' started by DarkLunacy, Jun 2, 2004.

1. DarkLunacy

DarkLunacy Senior Member

What kind of college opportunities are there in Canada? I dont wanna live in the states anymore and the quicker I can get out the better.

2. dspiel

dspiel Member

McGill in Montreal is the most popular. Most of the other schools, which can be quite good, aren't well-known outside Canada. McMaster is very good, a lot of places have certain specialties more so than the american "liberal arts" broad definition. Some are more science-specific, math-specific, etc.

There are issues going to school abroad... you need visas if you want any sort of job, it can be expensive and hard to get tuition assistance, and you need to make sure that your credentials, after you graduate, would still be compatible with where you want to live afterwards.

Not to discourage you. McGill is extremely popular in the US, and you can certainly look at schools in Canada. But if you're just feeling stir-crazy, you could look at a different region of the US, in addition to looking abroad.

3. veinglory

veinglory Member

Some of the best in the world, but it all depends on what you want to study and whether you can get in as a non-citizen without paying huge fees.

4. DarkLunacy

DarkLunacy Senior Member

Creative Writing/Game Design/ or Pysch

5. TheRedGreenShow

TheRedGreenShow Member

6. TheRedGreenShow

TheRedGreenShow Member

some good universities are:

Concordia U
    McGill
    U of Montreal
    U of Toronto
    U of Alberta
    Queen's U

be careful of anything in Quebec because you may have to take a french course (i don't know if that's a problem for you or not) and be careful of any college in Quebec because it's a cegep. Colleges and Universities in Canada do not mean the same as in the US. In the US they mean different sizes usually, but in Canada colleges mean lesser education with less qualified teachers (for the most part)- or they could just be concentrated on a particular area. And like i said about Quebec it means it's a cegep- which is a required thing to do in between high school and U (if you want to go to a U).
    does this make sense or help you?

7. serra

serra tentacle girl

you forgot the university of winnipeg!

we may be small but we rock! one of the top undergrad schools in WESTERN canada (ie outside of toronto/ottawa/montreal and not the maritimes)

sure mcgill is good but uber expensive for tuition and living costs. i live in winnipeg where i can rent a three storey house for under 700 bucks a month if i look around!!! (and i know that for a fact because i lived in one last year!)

8. yovo

yovo Member

The University of Montreal is not an anglophone institution

As for the differences between or systems:

A canadian university is the equivelent of an american college and a Canadian college is equivelent to an american trade or vocational school

For Pysch I'd recomend Brock U in StCatherines Ontario

if it's specifically just game designing you're looking for then you'd want to check out a private media arts school, not anything that specific for our college and U programs...to my knowledge anyways

for creative writing I might recomend Queens, thier english department is pretty amazing

9. Cierah

Cierah Member

the u of saskachewan has the third top law school in the country and it rocks. It's all revamped. - new gym. tunnels to every building - so in those -50 degree winter days it'll be nice.

10. Mowag

Mowag Member

I'd say U of Guelph. Canada's top comprehensive university, it also has a active student people, that make sure there is decent food for vegans and everyone else to eat. Adminstration are nice people. We have a large variety of program, fine art to hotel adminstration to agriculture. It's a nice place to be. Alot of the americans i've talk to in guelph say it's a good education for the buck, not that i know the truth about that statement.

11. yovo

yovo Member

according to who?