Canadian Barefoot Laws?

Discussion in 'Barefoot' started by Mattekat, Jul 13, 2015.

1. Mattekat

Mattekat Ice Queen of The North

Does anyone here know exactly what the laws are in canada regarding going barefoot in stores? Most of the information I can find is about laws in the U.S. instead of canada.

I was nearly kicked out of a store today because I wasn't wearing shoes. I was able to argue my way into being allowed to pay for what I had already picked out, but was told I couldn't keep shopping.

I would like to be able to cite actual laws though when arguing my case instead of just sounding crazy.

2. Mattekat

Bumpity bump

I'm really hoping someone can help me since I will have to go back to that store eventually. I'm in a very small town right now and there aren't a lot of shopping options.

I know there are letters that some people carry with them in these circumstances, I was just under the impression that they normally only covered the U.S. laws.

3. Ashalicious

Ashalicious Senior Member

I think in most places in British Columbia the general rule of thumb (not sure about law though) is "No shoes, no shirt, no service".

It is a liability issue for the establishment if we aren't wearing any shoes. If something falls on our feet or we step on something and get cut up, we could sue the establishment.

As far as "laws" though, I am not too sure....you might have to go to your local RCMP dispatch and ask them?

4. Mattekat

Actually, as far as I understand it, legally there is no liability anywhere in North america. You are legally allowed into stores and restaurants as a customer with or without shoes. It is only when you work for a company that they can make you where shoes, and then only in very specific cases, like kitchens where you need anti slip shoes, or places where steel toed boots are required. I don't think I would argue at work about it, but I think if I have spent the day out and want to buy some hummus on my way home and have no shoes I should be able to.

These are just signs they put out to scare away a certain type of clientele that they think is bad for business. It started in the 60's but no laws were ever made about it. There are laws though against discrimination.

I was just hoping to fiND some sort of official statement about it, since I sounded like a crazy person the other day and couldn't actually cite anything to back up my argument.

5. Ashalicious

Ashalicious Senior Member

1 person likes this.
  6. Hairless1

Hairless1 Member

Ashalicious, that a nice web site. It explains very well what people should do & expect when starting to try barefooting. As I read it I could identify wit the steps & experiences talked about.
    Thanks for posting it.

7. eggsprog

eggsprog anti gang marriage HipForums Supporter

Private businesses are allowed to refuse business to anyone that they choose, including people who are not wearing shirts or shoes. Same reason that nightclubs and nicer restaurants are allowed to have a dress code.

1 person likes this.
  8. Hairless1

Hairless1 Member

That's not what they're telling Christian business owners that want to refuse doing business with gays!

9. Heat

Heat Smile, it's contagious! :) Lifetime Supporter

I love bare-footing but I also feel that there are some places that I should be wearing shoes.

In most cases I do think that owners of private businesses should have the right to request dress codes, shirts/shoes are for the most part a reasonable request. Often that decision is based upon their paying clientele and a standard that is expected within their establishment. They run a business that will not exists without a profitable bottom line.

If I choose to not frequent the establishment and give them my business because of that, that is also my right as a bare-footer.

10. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

my answer would have been a guess but it would have been the same as Eggon said

also in regards to first post..if some store told me to leave id have said ok and walked away leaving all my potential purchases right where i was standing (posibly even all over the floor if i didnt happen to be using a cart) ...there's no way they would get one penny of mine

11. beagles 'n' lox

beagles 'n' lox Typing Challened

Semi related, does Canada have something like the US Civil Rights Act that prohibits discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin or disability in public accommodations (most businesses). No shirt no shoes is legal here if it's consistent, but over looking footware for white barefooters but not black ones wouldn't be.

12. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

13. eggsprog

eggsprog anti gang marriage HipForums Supporter

Yeah, we have that. I think all Western countries have similar laws (but could be wrong).

14. xenxan

xenxan Visitor

Carry a pair of socks, just in case. You could always make a flag with a green landscaped background with a barefoot on it, then protest and claim discrimination until you get it into law, works for others. :D

If it is Private then they can and will have a "dress code". I am all for going barefoot, but in a shop or business, I think shoes should be worn regardless of opinion. Cold tiled floors aren't the best textiles to walk on barefoot plus you wouldn't go to a job that requires steel toed boots and tell them you are being discriminated against, you wear them.

At then end of the day, it is a pair of shoes, really not the end of the world, yet anyways. Plenty of times to not wear shoes in the week.

Do you wear shoes to work?