can you

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by Fractual_, May 19, 2004.

1. Fractual_

Fractual_ cosmos factory

clone trees?

like if i were to take a branch and plant it right now in my backyard, would it grow?

2. gardener

gardener Realistic Humanist

Depends on the tree. Populars, Willows you can certainly do that, but others will require treating with hormones and making sure the cutting stays moist while going through the callousing and rooting stage.

3. backtothelab

backtothelab Senior Member

i have a staghorn(sp) cutting i nabbed from my neighbor like 3 yrs ago, and it is barely growing at all, is there anything i can do to make it grow faster, or do they just grow slow as hell?

4. tuesdayafternoon

tuesdayafternoon Member

backtothelab:

Rhus typhina can grow up to 15 ft high and spreads to 12 feet. How tall is it right now? I would dig it up and throw some phosphorus down to promote rooting. Always dig a wide hole. If rooting has started already, sever the roots a bit and then replant. Oh, one last thing..
    WATER WATER WATER

5. Erin

Erin Member

water with some of that seeweed extract man that stuff is magic for new roots of cuttings.

6. backtothelab

backtothelab Senior Member

well, it was growing on a tree when i got it, so i took it and tied it to a post in the corner of my fence. Like, it forms a triange kind of(the post is'nt in the ground). It's about 2 ft high. Should i pot it?

7. poor_old_dad

poor_old_dad Senior Member

Yes, trees can be "cloned". Cuttings or air layering are the best ways. Both are important skills to learn because some things can only be propogated that way. For example, every naval orange (no seeds) tree in the world can be traced back to an individual tree in Brasil. Some things (example:mints) are best done this way because the seeds seldom produce true. Other things (example:rosemary, tarragon) produce few or no seeds.

for air layering http://www.evergreengardenworks.com/airlayer.htm

8. Bilby

Bilby Lifetime Supporter and Freerangertarian Super Moderator

If you are ever striking cuttings, it might be a good idea to dip the new root in some rooting hormone compound.Yes it depends on the tree.
    What is done with apples and olives is this.Because apple tree will not grow true to the parent from seed, wild root stock is grown from seed.Cuttings of the original plant are then grafted on to the root stock.