Can you with stand that silence?

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by Deemed as Normal, May 13, 2022.

1. Deemed as Normal

Deemed as Normal Members

I'm talking about the sort of thing your boss might do just after the moment you've asked for a raise, or that a salesman may try on you. If you just listen from 1:46 onwards in the below video, you'll hear Quintin Tarantino describe how it happened to him once.

I haven't quite put my finger on why it is that holding out this silence is so much harder to do in reality. All you have to do is shut up and stay still. It should be very easy!

Has anyone had experiences of this sort?

2. ~Zen~

~Zen~ Ancient Mariner Administrator

Oh yes.

I have actually used it myself...

Sometimes it is what they might call 'karma' to watch someone squirm.

But it's not really a nice thing to do so I will probably never do it again, being retired, etc.

themnax likes this.
  3. themnax

themnax Senior Member

its a game two can play at. why should that bother me. people demanding attention to tell each other what to pretend, or just to demand the companionship of others, THAT bothers me.
    i welcome social silences even. my enjoyment in life is not dependent on human companionship, which i frequently find more annoying then rewarding anyway.
    not dependent on applause either, though that i can appreciate as much as anyone.

etherea and ~Zen~ like this.
  4. ~Zen~

~Zen~ Ancient Mariner Administrator

People should be more independent of thought, and of themselves. Worrying too much about the thoughts of others leads to feelings of insecurity. It's like trying to outdo your neighbors with displays of wealth and excess. Sad.

themnax and etherea like this.
  5. Deemed as Normal

Deemed as Normal Members

Last edited: May 18, 2022