Can you prove that God exists?

Discussion in 'Philosophy and Religion' started by MeAgain, May 29, 2004.

1. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

A nonsensical 'if' since the bible or a painting is not solid proof of God's existence nor are they commonly perceived as such. Now, if there would be a photograph it would be more intruiging :p

2. tastyweat

tastyweat Member

Who cares as long as one does? :sunny: :p

3. tastyweat

tastyweat Member

Clearly it does exist... you just posted a picture of it!

4. bird_migration

bird_migration ~

Mathematically Hinduism is a very clever religion; the more Gods you have, the bigger the chance that one of them is real. ;)

5. bird_migration

bird_migration ~

An imagine of something is the same as the existence of something?

6. Asmodean

Generally the unbelievers/people without faith care about such proof so they can debunk other peoples faith in them :p

7. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

Actually if we are going to be honest about it, the biblical religions are the only religions that actually provide a historical setting/chronology for us to now go and investigate through the sciences of archeology and such.
    Guess what, archeological findings support the Biblical account/history more than any other religion.

Secondly in all these "discussions" here about this topic there is one consistent error. That is the difference between "belief" and "faith".

Often people use the two terms interchangeably or actually swap the meanings of the two.

Belief in something is not necessitated by or based on prior experience. It can be, but it is not required.

Faith on the other hand is necessitated by and based on prior experience.
    I develop faith in my cars braking system every time I step on the brakes and the car stops. I have faith that the Earth will rotate as normal and I will enjoy another sunrise tomorrow.
    Those are based on prior experience that gives "faith" that those things will continue to function in the same manner as they always have.

Faith as presented in the Bible follows the same guidelines.

Early on Abraham questioned God about continuing to follow his lead. God's response was to remind Abraham of the previous promises made and their fulfillment as the basis for Abraham's faith.
    Even God doesn't want a bunch of mindless drones who "believe" without applying thought and reason.

In the Bible, and everyday life, faith is always based on prior experience, belief is not.

Sometimes I wish all those who vehemently rail against religion and Christianity in particular would actually take the time to learn what the book ACTUALLY says/teaches rather then basing their knowledge on what is gleaned from the popular media or the skewed presentations rampant in most denominations.

As far as "proving" God exists, doubtful, especially when constrained by the stereotyped pop-culture, anthropomorphic Judeao/Christian portrayal of God you dictated at the outset.

8. Maelstrom

Maelstrom Banned

Most anti-theists have read the Bible and they understand it just fine. In fact, as Isaac Asimov stated, Properly read, the bible is the most potent force of atheism ever conceived.

9. tastyweat

tastyweat Member

So you suggest that one is real and there's a correct one to pick?

If none exists, then mathematically the idea of 1 or 1 billion ideas of deity would be irrelevant - so it would make no difference how many you think of ;)

In "reality", I doubt an intelligent deity would care what you believe, as long as you love each other and treat each other accordingly.

After all, most hate acts are just the projection of ones own ego on to the body of another.

Quantum physics actually allows that possibility.

Any idea/thought/choice/yes-no is a potential new branch in the 5th or 6th dimensions.

Yeah - I used to be more like that. I cared more about being right than thinking about other people.

Now I think... why bother trying to disprove it or force proof? One way or the other, you're just going to disappoint or freak-out a lot of people if either are provable.

Let people believe whatever brings them comfort.

At the very least, our essence will always live on in shared energy.

I'm starting to think I'd happily believe a fairy tale if it brings comfort to the idea of death... but to be fair, since my experiences - I have no fear of death - just a drive to do and appreciate more with my life rather than just slumping into the dismay of pointlessness.

10. Asmodean

What generally strikes me of most agitating atheists is that they interpretate the bible at least as literal as a fundamental christian and proclaim all christians are silly for taking it as literal as that. However in reality, many christians did take the time to learn what is actually written and how it can be interpretated. The unfortunate reality is also that most people that are officially christian have never read the bible themselves at all, this is actually not a really serious matter since these people are merely christians out of cultural tradition and are not actively busy with religion or even God in a lot of cases.

11. Maelstrom

Maelstrom Banned

I would not be an anti-theist if it was as simple as that. The fact is that there are religious people who use their beliefs to bring real harm to others not of the same belief, and that is why I rally against religion.

12. bird_migration

bird_migration ~

Nah, I was just trying to be clever.

In "reality" I doubt an intelligent deity would care.

13. tastyweat

tastyweat Member

I know... it's fun to pick things apart :sunny:

:sunny:

14. Sig

Sig Senior Member

Those findings support the fact that the people who wrote it, or those it was written about, did indeed live in a real place. They do not, however, confirm or deny the supernatual assertions made by the book. ie Jesus supposedly dying, and then rising again 3 days later. Or Moses parting the Red Sea.

I agree with much of what you saying. However, so much of what is written about in the bible we know to not be possible in the real world. Faith, as presented in the bible, demands you ignore physical reality. You have faith that Jesus rose from the dead 3 days after dying. Yet I'm sure you know this isn't possible.

15. Asmodean

I even doubt the last part of that. It does feel good to do so though. But perhaps God does cares about that. What I do believe though is wether it cares or not it does not intervene. I understand people always proclaiming evil, sins and horrors especially in God's name to be the ultimate evidence that God doesn't exist cause he would not have allowed it. I find that a really strange outlook, especially for atheists who don't believe in a personification of the creator in the first place.

I also feel I don't need any fairytale for comfort in this department. What I am very glad of is that I understand other people do need it and get a lot of comfort out of it indeed. Once you have experienced that why in earth would you shatter that persons hope (unless they would be annoyingly bother you with their convictions which makes it focus on the aspect of tolerance more again, than just their beliefs instead). I don't even feel like calling it a fairytale since I know those people experience it differently and disrespectful. But yes, I also remember an age where I couldn't care less about being respectful about these matters... ;)

Wouldn't it be more useful to rally against those specific people instead?

16. shameless_heifer

shameless_heifer Super Moderator

It all ties in together, It's all one source. There are artifacts to support all beliefs. They all have their deities and teachings and there has been a lot of evidence come into being that also supports, certain things going on all over the world at the same time . I can't logically believe that faith built the pyramids.

17. Sig

Sig Senior Member

I think so. I do not begrudge anyone their faith. I do begrudge those who would impose their faith on me, or persecute me for my lack of faith. Luckily IO haven't met many of those types.

18. Sig

Sig Senior Member

Right. It was a massive construction effort requiring thousands of workings and intricate planning.

19. Asmodean

That was maybe inspired by the 'faith' that it was needed/worthwile to undertake such an construction effort.

20. tastyweat

tastyweat Member

So you naively box all religious people into the box of "must be converted".

That's no better than them.

There are plenty of atheists who do bad things due to believing there to be a lack of consequence... perhaps they should be converted the other way?

Human will use whatever excuse they want to.

The cause is the human, not the belief system.

And anyway - the worst atrocities are enacted by the organised religions, not the people with independent religious beliefs.

The world is not black and white and large groups of people do not fit into a small number of boxes.

You need a wider view of the world before you try to force your strict, narrow, view of the world on others.