Can you deny the influence of the liberal media???

Discussion in 'America Attacks!' started by Chongo Blanco, May 10, 2004.

1. Chongo Blanco

Chongo Blanco Banned

Does anybody know why the media insists on showing ALL the negative aspects of the rebuilding of Iraq. How many people have seen the endless acts of kindness by the coalition and the sincere appreciation of the Iraqi people. The Iraqi people are very strong and courageous to be going through these tough times, but they do it because they know that all the tough times are worth the future of their children. How can we deny this?
    How many times have you watched the news and seen a U.S. soldier playing soccer with Iraqi children, or sitting down chatting and having a cup of tea with an elder??? Or how many times have you seen headlines like: "EXPLOSIONS ROCK BAGHDAD!!" or "SUPPLY CONVOY AMBUSHED!!"??? Why does the media insist on showing only the tradgedies that are occuring. Does this not undermine the effort?? Is this how the Iraqi people should be represented?? How is this affecting morale of the coalition??
    You all are supposedly for peace yet all you can do is focus on the bloodshed.

2. Chongo Blanco

Chongo Blanco Banned

"One way or the other, we are determined to deny Iraq the capacity to develop weapons of mass destruction and the missiles to deliver them. That is our bottom line."
    - President Clinton, Feb. 4, 1998

"If Saddam rejects peace and we have to use force, our purpose is clear. We want to seriously diminish the threat posed by Iraq's weapons of mass destruction program."
    - President Clinton, Feb. 17, 1998

"Iraq is a long way from [the USA], but what happens there matters a great deal here. For the risks that the leaders of a rogue state will use nuclear, chemical or biological weapons against us or our allies is the greatest security threat we face."

- Madeline Albright, Feb 18, 1998

"He will use those weapons of mass destruction again, as he has ten times since 1983."
    - Sandy Berger, Clinton National Security Adviser, Feb, 18, 1998

"[W]e urge you, after consulting with Congress, and consistent with the U.S.
    Constitution and laws, to take necessary actions (including, if appropriate, air and missile strikes on suspect Iraqi sites) to respond effectively to the threat posed by Iraq's refusal to end its weapons of mass
    destruction programs."
    - Letter to President Clinton, signed by Sens. Carl Levin,
    Tom Daschle, John Kerry, and others Oct. 9, 1998

"Saddam Hussein has been engaged in the development of weapons of mass destruction technology which is a threat to countries in the region and he has made a mockery of the weapons inspection process."
    - Rep. Nancy Pelosi (D, CA), Dec. 16, 1998

"Hussein has ... chosen to spend his money on building weapons of mass destruction and palaces for his cronies."
    - Madeline Albright, Clinton Secretary of State, Nov. 10, 1999

"There is no doubt that ... Saddam Hussein has invigorated his weapons programs. Reports indicate that biological, chemical and nuclear programs continue apace and may be back to pre-Gulf War status. In addition, Saddam continues to redefine delivery systems and is doubtless using the cover of an ilicit missile program to develop longer-range missiles that will threaten the United States and our allies."
    - Letter to President Bush, Signed by Sen. Bob Graham (D, FL,) and others, December 5, 2001

"We begin with the common belief that Saddam Hussein is a tyrant and a threat to the peace and stability of the region. He has ignored the mandated of the United Nations and is building weapons of mass destruction and the means of delivering them."
    - Sen. Carl Levin (D, MI), Sept. 19, 2002

"We know that he has stored secret supplies of biological and chemical
    weapons throughout his country." - Al Gore, Sept. 23, 2002

"Iraq's search for weapons of mass destruction has proven impossible to deter and we should assume that it will continue for as long as Saddam is in power."
    - Al Gore, Sept. 23, 2002

"We have known for many years that Saddam Hussein is seeking and developing weapons of mass destruction."
    - Sen. Ted Kennedy (D, MA), Sept. 27, 2002

"The last UN weapons inspectors left Iraq in October of 1998. We are confident that Saddam Hussein retains some stockpiles of chemical and biological weapons, and that he has since embarked on a crash course to build up his chemical and biological warfare capabilities. Intelligence reports indicate that he is seeking nuclear weapons."
    - Sen. Robert Byrd (D, WV), Oct. 3, 2002

"I will be voting to give the President of the United States the authority to use force-- if necessary-- to disarm Saddam Hussein because I believe that a deadly arsenal of weapons of mass destruction in his hands is a real and grave threat to our security."
    - Sen. John F. Kerry (D, MA), Oct. 9, 2002

"There is unmistakable evidence that Saddam Hussein is working aggressively to develop nuclear weapons and will likely have nuclear weapons within the next five years ... We also should remember we have always underestimated the progress Saddam has made in development of weapons of mass destruction."
    - Sen. Jay Rockefeller (D, WV), Oct 10, 2002

"He has systematically violated, over the course of the past 11 years,every significant UN resolution that has demanded that he disarm and destroy his chemical and biological weapons, and any nuclear capacity. This he has refused to do" Rep.
    - Henry Waxman (D, CA), Oct. 10, 2002

"In the four years since the inspectors left, intelligence reports show that Saddam Hussein has worked to rebuild his chemical and biological weapons stock, his missile delivery capability, and his nuclear program. He has also given aid, comfort, and sanctuary to terrorists, including al Qaeda members
    It is clear, however, that if left unchecked, Saddam Hussein will continue to increase his capacity to wage biological and chemical warfare and will keep trying to develop nuclear weapons."
    - Sen. Hillary Clinton (D, NY), Oct 10, 2002

"We are in possession of what I think to be compelling evidence that Saddam Hussein has, and has had for a number of years, a developing capacity for the production and storage of weapons of mass destruction."
    - Sen. Bob Graham (D, FL), Dec. 8, 2002

"Without question, we need to disarm Saddam Hussein. He is a brutal, murderous dictator, leading an oppressive regime ... He presents a particularly grievous threat because he is so consistently prone to
    miscalculation ... And now he is miscalculating America's response to his continued deceit and his consistent grasp for weapons of mass destruction. So the threat of Saddam Hussein with weapons of mass destruction is real.”
    - Sen. John F. Kerry (D, MA), Jan. 23. 2003

SO NOW THE DEMOCRATS SAY PRESIDENT BUSH LIED, THAT THERE NEVER WERE
    ANY WEAPONS OF MASS DESTRUCTION AND HE TOOK US TO WAR FOR HIS OIL BUDDIES???

3. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

What is going on in Iraq right now far outweighs anything which could possibly be considered good. If you want to see a pretty picture of what's going on over there, turn on FOX NEWS. They're pretty much the propaganda rag for the Bush Administration. Of course if you're hearing from nobody but a bunch of war-hungry generals and ex-military stategists, of course they're going to play up the war. All Fox News seems to be is opinion. Instead of just presenting the news, they present the opinion of military officials who think they know what should be done.

Of course CNN and MSNBC isn't any better. They are more liberal, but I look at many phony liberals with the same disdain in which I look at phony conservatives. There is just so much phoniness, you know? When I want to know what's going on in the news and I switch it over to CNN, there is almost a 90 percent chance they'll be covering a story about Michael Jackson, John Kerry, or gay marriage. Frankly, I get sick of hearing about it. This is why I only get my news from the internet anymore, and from a large variety of sources - left, right, and in the middle.

The role of the media isn't to play up sides (as it often does), but to present us with an at least somewhat accurate picture of what is going on (as it rarely does).

The fact of the matter is that innocent people are dying in a war which was predicated on a flat-out lie. There is nothing "good" about that.

4. Chongo Blanco

Chongo Blanco Banned

I shouldn't have brought politics into this thread because that was not what it was supposed to be about. Regardless of why we went to war and whether or not we should be there the fact is that the majority of Iraqi people WANT US THERE. They are happy that we took out the oppressive regime and actually wish we would have done it the first time we were in Iraq. My original point was to ask why the world media refuses to show the great things that are happening in Iraq. Again I'm sorry to have corrupted this thread with politics.

5. Antimatter235

Antimatter235 Member

Of course they're NOT happy with it. They want to kick the US militaries outta their place. They're dumb or something but they see the US as foe.

6. LaughinWillow

LaughinWillow Member

Looks like we have a new little "Einstein" among us...

Exactly WHAT are you basing this absurd claim on? I'd agree that the Iraqis wanted rid of Saddam, but they sure as hell don't want to be ruled by a bunch of money-hungry americans.

Have you considered that there ain't much "good" going on in Iraq? Do you know that the majority of the country is now unemployed, impoverished, and living under a foreign occupation? You actually believe they are ENJOYING this situation? Are you truly this stupid?

Further, I'd say that the BAD in Iraq right now is SO HORRIFIC that there is no reason whatsoever to try to tone it down. You're talking about an invasion and occupation that was and is completely illegal under international law, that the Bush regime undertook against the will of the entire PLANET, that has resulted in the deaths of thousands of innocent people, and that has now thrown an already pitiful country into complete chaos - top it off with a little torture, and I'd say trying to be "positive" about this mess would make a person a complete imbecile.

7. Changeyourlatitude

Changeyourlatitude Banned

News sells stuff in between their version of what happened. All reporting is based on what sells the most stuff.

The war was not based on lies! It was based on truths!

Iraqis worry about the same thing Republicans do. That Kerry will win and the US will pull out leaving the guys who blow up schools and police stations to run the country like after the first Iraq war, Desert Storm.

Changeyourlatitude

8. DarkLunacy

DarkLunacy Senior Member

Let me pose this question... They say the Iraqis want our support... They say they're glad to have us. But when we left Fuhluja they were celebrating in the street. I wonder if the fact that you can kill civilians without them being counted among casualties has something to do with it. The Iraqi people believe that they are WORSE than they were a year ago. The liberal media is highlighting facts. I think maybe the qusetion should be is "why are other channels not showing these things." Think up about the opposite to each question.

9. Maverick83

Maverick83 Guest

There was a poll in Iraq that asked whether or not the Iraqi's wanted us there.
    More than half said they didn't
    Less than half said they did.
    But only 2% had actually met and interacted with an American soldier.
    This is a sad fact. They don't care about actually getting to find out wether the soldiers are decent people, they just go on what their Clerics tell them.

10. Chongo Blanco

Chongo Blanco Banned

LaughinWillow

Where are you from? Your hatred for America and the Bush Administration seems to be clouding your judgement. The news portrays Iraq as this completely unstable country where nothing good is going on. Is this something new??? Have you seen the news in the United States??? 95% of the stories are tradgic. If the media reported every horrible thing that went on in this country it would look very similar to Iraq from an outsiders viewpoint. As we speak there is murder, rape, beatings, robberies, suicides, arson, etc....being commited. Anybody, and I mean anybody that says there is nothing but chaos going on in Iraq should spend some time there. Then you would SEE the truth. You would see and feel what it is like to drive into a town and have the townspeople running up to you and cheering. Or see the excitement on a childs face when they see you everyday and ask for a piece of a chocolate bar. The only problem are the 1 out of 1000 assholes out there that pretend to greet you but then blow themselves up. But hey it makes great news.

11. lovelyweapon

lovelyweapon Member

Anyone with half a brain and any common sense takes the news with a grain of salt. That goes for both the positive and negative reports.

12. makno

makno Senior Member

it was the same donald rumsfeld and the same usa that put sadam hussain in a position of entrenched power , they wanted to punish the people of iran for overthrowing the cia proped dictator sha ...there is no good in what happened in iran ....not for iranians and for anyone ....untill the evil that is the united states is no more !

13. God

God Member

Chongo Blanco, HOW LONG HAVE YOU WORKED FOR THE UNITED STATES GOVERNMENT?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!???

14. LickHERish

LickHERish Senior Member

I remember vivdily the very same generalised bigotry and hatred being levelled against Iranians in the US back in the day as we see once again against the Arab world today. Nevermind that we overthrew their democratically elected leader, Mossadegh, in the 1950's to install our brutal maniac puppet, The Shaw, whose SAVAK death squad was responsible for countless atrocities against "their own people". No, that fact was utterly ignored by the media (liberal bias my arse) whilst all around one could see signs calling for death to Iranians, "We don't serve Iranians", or any number of hate0filled ignorant slogans of abuse and wanton ignorance.

Misinformation is the hallmark of US media. The sooner we start mandating foreign studies and experience for our upcoming generations the sooner we may ensure a more widespread and balanced appreciation for the face we regularly show to the rest of the world.