Can you be a hippie and not do drugs?

Discussion in 'Hippies' started by Ethel, May 19, 2007.

1. young hippie 93

young hippie 93 Member

i consider myself a hippie. and so does the rest of society. i dont do drugs either. but other than drugs, im as much of a hippie as anybody else on this website.

2. WoodRat

WoodRat Banned

I believe they call that straight edge, a noteably worthy stance, with an extra emphasis on reputable self morals.

3. VegOut024

VegOut024 Member

the main core of hippies is the liberal, peace and love and anti-war/government thing. The drugs, Rock n' Roll, and vegetarian, etc. are just other things most hippies do but If you don't it's OK as long as you're peace-loving and the like you fit the main description of a hippie. One of the most common stereotypes of a hippie is that they don't bathe. I shower almost every day, I'm still a hippie.

4. paulsdeadtheory

paulsdeadtheory Member

no u dont, but i had who i was jammed down my throught fro 20 years drugs helped me look at myself and realize im what i decide not what everyone else says i am. but i dont use them now and im still a hippy, anyway hippy is derogatory anyway its a sign put on us by the media.

5. nynysuts

nynysuts No Gods, No Masters

you don't need drugs to be a hippie, what makes you a hippie is the essentials. not sure i would take anything other than weed, but noone knows that, shhh

6. deutschlandchick

deutschlandchick Member

you don't have to do drugs. as many before me said, you should just be yourself. i really think that being a "hippie" has mosltly to do what principles you have in life.
    anyways, i think weed should be legalized. i think everything should be legalized. the babying must stop. everyone should make their own decisions.....

7. gemstar

gemstar Member

Of course you have to do drugs...everything and anything!! All day and everyday!! Just kidding of course!!!! Always just be who you be!!

8. fatdirtyhippie

fatdirtyhippie Member

Cannabis, Magic Mushrooms, LSD, Peyote etc I consider a huge part of being a hippie.

I mean it is to abstract to say are you still a "hippie" if you don't do drugs, but if I met someone with long hair and a tie dye shirt who said they didn't smoke pot, I would look at them totally cross eyed like wtf.

Being a hippie and not at least smoking the occasional joint, is like being a skater and not riding a skateboard IMO.

Just doesn't make sense.

How many hippie icons do you know who didn't do drugs?

Beatles, Doors, Hendrix, The Who, Tim Leary, The Bear, Willie Nelson, Neil Young, etc and on and on and on.

I mean you can be a liberal and not do drugs, but I don't think you can be a hippie and not do drugs, I would just consider that a liberal Al Gore type.

I mean people that think Cannabis is harmful, and don't feel comfortable smoking a joint, I couldn't really consider that a hippie, because it demonstrates a person who is brainwashed and actually believes the drug commercials etc.

9. maddhatter

maddhatter Senior Member

that's very true, but i know some people who just like to relax with meditation and such without ever using drugs. i consider these people hippies because they have no jobs, they live off the land and they're not really sucked into modern society.

10. Wildbnnysex

Wildbnnysex Member

Yeah.... I actually USED to do drugs, but after surviving four overdoses, I've decided to quit.... I do still believe in Peace, Love And Respect though

11. Morganna

Morganna Member

It seems to me it is more about freedom. If everyone had to do drugs, that would not be very free, would it?

then I discover page 5, lol

12. KosmicKurse

KosmicKurse Member

well said Morganna. I for one have lived my last five years with people who are into susbtsance abuse. I would watch 'em daily but never got the urge to try. For me it's all abt one's belief and freedom. Drugs may help you if you are takin them with complete knowledge of what the drug is going to do to u. Otherwise i wont never allow substance abuse.

Stay away from them Ethel as u have already tried and the effects were normal. Anyway its a free world and its your choice in the end.

Peace.

13. Emilywrites

Emilywrites Member

What's more hip than forging your own way?

14. ··..··.·¨¨ƒree ¨·…··

··..··.·¨¨ƒree ¨·…·· Member

drugs aren't necessary. just really, really, REALLY fun.

15. Angel86

Angel86 Member

yea , but whats the point? *: P

16. EvaDestruction

EvaDestruction Member

Hey there! I applaud you for your beliefs, you sound like someone who knows their convictions. I believe that you can ABSOLUTELY be a hippie and not use drugs - it's about who you are, not always what you do. It's all about your attitude, baby!

17. Acid Cherry

Acid Cherry Banned

18. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

[​IMG]

19. Mike21484

Mike21484 Member

Sure you can do it. Much easier if you've never done them in the first place though. Cause if you have its sorta like being content with manual steering after driving a couple years with power steering!!!!

20. gjaniet

gjaniet Member

I don't think drugs define a hippie nor would I call a person a hippie based on their clothes, music or whether they do drugs or not.