Can they make me?

Discussion in 'Vegetarian' started by Eagle Rose, Aug 16, 2005.

1. outtahere

outtahere Member

lol, we never had to do anything like that at school. What happens to the huge pile of pig/frog corpses when established facts have been proven?

2. Oz!

Oz! Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

they still make kids cut up animals inna US?

Gimme strength.....

Good luck, i don't think they should be allowed to knock yer grades for refusing to carry out a procedure that was perfected a coupla hundred years ago....sucks if they do....change school :D

3. crummyrummy

crummyrummy Brew Your Own Beer Lifetime Supporter

dunno. prolly tossed em in the dumpster behind the cafeteria. I was in 8th grade, I just put mine in the trash bag. Actually I remember we had a contest to see who could unravel the longest continuous piece of intestine.

They Did 19 years ago....and 17 years ago....

4. minjeig

minjeig Member

i've actually never had to dissect anything... but then again i'm not in the us, i'm in canada. i remember in grade 8 they did some big demo of dessecting cow eyes and a pig heart and i left the room and that was never a problem. i agree with everyone else, just talk to the teacher. if the teacher isn't willing to help you out then go talk to the principle or get your parents to talk to someone in the school. good luck!

5. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

Eagle Rose,
    you'd better have quiet, defensible arguments about vegan lifestyle, because a strident tone will get you nowhere.
    I was simply lacto-ovo but I really lucked out: I'm Jewish and these were pigs. Touching one would make me ritually unclean, and unable to participate in the activities of the shul (synagogue for poor people) until I got to the mikveh (bath) 37 miles away.
    I wound up writing the paper for my stoner partner.
    I did discect a flower going to fruit. I think that's how I got the full grade.
    That was cool. everyone else wanted to watch.

6. jim_w

jim_w Member

Word. That sounds pretty cool.

7. Oz!

Oz! Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

man...stick an elastoplast on yer hand...pretend yer've cut yerself....

they can't make yer cut summit open if yer've got an open would (or they think yer have)...think of the health issues...infection! dead things!

alternatively....take one look at the dead frog (or wotever) and throw up on it...let's see 'em disect the fucker after that! :D

8. Spaceduck

Spaceduck Member

I like A+O's approach... if you feel strongly about it, be willing to get an F.

Of course, that doesn't mean you should throw diplomacy out the window. I'm just saying, be willing to go all the way for what you believe in.

My sister (who's a bit older) had to dissect a dog's heart in school. And yes, the dog was bred & killed for that purpose alone. Really, it shouldn't make a difference if it's a dog or a frog, but the dog image puts it in terms everyone can sympathize with.

Grr... I wish I was smarter back then, but alas, I was just a dumb minion who went along with everything. Kudos you younguns ;) for getting it right the 1st time.

9. seravance

seravance Member

Last year in my science class, this girl came in from biology or some other class and was talking about needing something for her class to dissect kittens. That really made me upset.

I asked my teacher about having to dissect anything, he said I wouldn't have to. I guess if they tell me I have to, I'll fail or walk out. I'd rather walk out and get in trouble or fail than take part in dissecting any animal.

10. cousinit

cousinit Member

you guys are complaining about disecting an animal?, in 10th grade bio my school had us a watch a human autopsy, we had a class field trip to a morge.

I still remember that womans name, Olly Tomson, 63 years old, died of cancer. A few people in my class left in tears, That was the 1st and last year the school did that.

oh, the only thing I actually desected at school was a cows eye. also had demo of a cow brain.

11. Eagle Rose

Eagle Rose Member

Thank you all for your support and advice, it's been much appreciated and will be put to good use. Thank you all very much =)