Can The Soul Be Teleported?

Discussion in 'Mind Games' started by skip, May 1, 2015.

1. themnax

themnax Senior Member

it depends on how we're using the term 'teleported'. if we think of teleportation as dissasembling matter in one place, and reassembling it someplace else, i would have to say not aplicable, simply because the soul isn't matter. at least as i think of it. as something the exists in a completely nonphysical way. completely outside of anything to do with anything physical at all.

which means that potentially, it ought to be able to 'teleport' itself, that is move in relation to everything that is physical, without interacting with physical matter or the physical universe, in any way at all.

2. AceK

AceK Scientia Potentia Est

what exactly is the soul? can it be quantified? there exists only matter and energy, and both are composed of fields; the configuration of fields gives rise to phenomena of strange attraction. Conglomeration of fields and their effects give rise to more complex interactions between entities. Interactions occur at various levels of abstraction, consciousness is just another interaction between fields, and their configurations .. the relevant level of abstraction makes it what it is.

3. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Commenting so I can find this to read later.

4. expanse

expanse Supporters HipForums Supporter

Sometimes I click the post number and email the link to myself.

5. AstralBear

AstralBear Feed the Bear

The intellect/consciousness could possibly be moved to a digital medium such as a hard drive, then sent through the internet to another hard drive.

6. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

Don't know if you have heard of this guy,..

http://youtu.be/01hbkh4hXEk

http://motherboard.vice.com/blog/russian-billionaire-dmitry-itskov-plans-on-becoming-immortal-by-2045

7. Wizardofodd

Wizardofodd Senior Member

I'd say that machine already exists in it's (probably) most efficient form and that thing is the universe itself. I don't think we are even fathomably close to understanding it, much less recreating it (or all of it's information) in all of it's unknown complexities. Anyone who thinks they know enough about the possible information such a machine would contain, the storage it would take and the power to run it is just guessing in my opinion. I bet we don't even know .0000001% of the information contained in the universe. And that would be humans...collectively.

8. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

If the Standard Model of Particle Physics holds or even something based off of it, scientists usually give the estimate of the observable universe containing about 4% of the entire universe.

9. Wizardofodd

Fair enough but the key word is "observable". We can probably pick any percentage we want for what we think is unobservable. Who can say for sure? Maybe we can detect and observe 90% or 9% or .009% of what is really there.

10. AstralBear

AstralBear Feed the Bear

Nope, never have, but that is interesting. In my opinion, a human/technological singularity would be an advanced form of life support that would be highly prone to failure. The flu virus would be replaced with a computer virus, and a brain fart would be replaced with a memory dump.

11. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

I'd probably be a physicist if it were that simple. I'm pretty sure the "unobservable" or "dark matter/energy" estimates of the universe have to do with their effect on observable matter and the calculations of what it would take to find ourselves in a universe like we do. For instance, if all there was in the Universe was the observable matter, it's been suggested, if I recall, stars would just crash into each other, and galaxies would not really form. However stars in galaxies appear to be moving apart from each other and at speeds which are not consistent when just the observable universe is taken into consideration. So there are a lot of equations and use of techniques involving redshifts, Cosmic Microwave Background Radiation, etc. which give fairly precise measurments to my understanding.

12. AceK

^but core dumps are not dead bits ... they can be archived, analyzed .. even reanimated.

13. Wizardofodd

I'm no expert on the subject either. I suppose we could substitute observable with theoreticasl or any number of other words but I still think it's highly improbable that we have enough information to make an accurate assessment. We might be able to say "Based on what we think we know" but that is my point exactly. How do we know there aren't 10 or 100 parallel universes existing in the same space. How do we know that there aren't 573 different types of energy that we are completely unaware of which can manipulate other factors we know nothing about? Science-fiction? Perhaps. But we haven't even cured cancer yet so while I'm a huge fan of science and math.....I still feel like any prediction we make on this topic can only be based on what we know right now and there is a very good possibility that we can't even fathom what we are unaware of. We don't even know everything there is to know about our own moon and sun.

14. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

Care to elaborate? I am unfamiliar with those terms.

15. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

Seems you're mostly grasping at straws but perhaps a multiverse or parallel universe could significantly change our understanding of the universe.

16. Wizardofodd

I'm not grasping at anything. You just said it again...our understanding of the universe. There is probably a bunch of shit that we don't understand and a lot of that stuff could invalidate what we think we understand right now. We are not nearly as all-knowing as some of us may like to think. It wasn't very long ago that we were still doing lobatomies and electro-shock therapy. We did it based on what we thought we knew at the time. Now we know more. Acknowledging that there is probably much to learn is not the same thing as grasping at straws.

17. Wizardofodd

And that relates to my original point about thinking we can build some machine that holds all of the information in the universe. We have no way of knowing exactly what the machine would need to be capable of holding...much less how to build it.

18. AceK

a "core dump" is basically the contents of a programs memory dumped to a file, usually after a segmentation fault. execution of the program is officially "dead", but a remnant is left, the core dump, containing the contents of the processes stack ... basically if one cares to look, they can see exactly what state the program was in when it crashed.

its my opinion that this probably extends past the realm of computing, every instance of reality leaves some type of entropic trace .. reality is computational in nature, what happens past the event horizon of black holes and other singularities seems to be up for debate. i still am not sure information is really lost, it just gets very tricky to track.

19. Mr.Writer

Mr.Writer Senior Member

But I'm also aware of that mind, as are you, since you just referenced it. So is there then a third mind, aware of the first two? Ah shit, now I'm aware of the third mind, I'll need a fourth . . . FUCK.

;)

---

I believe we can begin meaningfully discussing any topic at all, even one regarding teleporting the soul, as long as we first define our terms. Even "teleportation" will prove to be astonishingly tricky to define, and "soul" will turn up to actually be an empty term, pointing at nothing except a series of ideas, much like "unicorn".

1 person likes this.
  20. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

Attempting to change the semantics of observable universe and throwing out random estimations regarding the universe is grasping at straws but I digress...

What does the example of lobotomies have to do with our understanding of the universe?

The theory of relativity had already been proposed before lobotomies went out of fashion and particle physics was well under way as well?