Can Sports people sing?

Discussion in 'Sports' started by WOLF ANGEL, Jul 19, 2021.

1. WOLF ANGEL

WOLF ANGEL Senior Member - A Fool on the Hill Lifetime Supporter

Well a few have tried it, - with various degrees of ‘success’
    - Here are a few of the best(?) / Worst, to start off, .....
    Feel free to comment on their efforts, and/or post your own,
    SHAQUILLE O’NEAL (Basketball Player)
    [​IMG] . . . upload_2021-7-19_16-49-0.jpeg

Shaquille O'Neal discography - Wikipedia

Last edited: Jul 19, 2021
  2. WOLF ANGEL

MUHAMMED ALI: (Boxer):
    upload_2021-7-19_16-58-8.jpeg

Ali played a role in the shaping of the black poetic tradition, paving the way for The Last Poets in 1968, Gil Scott-Heron in 1970, and the emergence of rap music in the 1970

In 1963, Ali released an album of spoken word music on Columbia Records titled, I Am the Greatest, and in 1964, he recorded a cover version of the rhythm and blues song "Stand by Me"

I Am the Greatest sold 500,000 copies, and has been identified as an early example of rap music and a precursor to hip hop - It reached number 61 on the album chart and was nominated for a Grammy Award.
    He later received a second Grammy nomination, for "Best Recording for Children", with his 1976 spoken word novelty record, The Adventures of Ali and His Gang vs. Mr. Tooth Decay.

3. WOLF ANGEL

KEVIN KEEGAN: (Footballer/Soccer player)
    upload_2021-7-19_17-5-47.jpeg
    The former football player and manager. released as a single on 9 June 1979.
    The single features another original song, "Move on Down" as the B-side, which unlike "Head Over Heels in Love", is more of a hard rock song.

The single peaked at number 31 in the UK Singles Chart and climbed to number 20 in Austria, and 10 in Germany where Keegan was based at the time, and where co-writer Chris Norman's band Smokie were popular.

4. WOLF ANGEL

DWAYNE ‘The Rock’ JOHNSON: (Wrestler)
    upload_2021-7-19_17-11-36.jpeg

We were first introduced to The Rock when he was wrestling in the WWF, now WWE.
    He then went from the small to big screen in the early 2000s but it was in 2016 that Johnson sang as one of the leading roles in Disney's animated story Moana.
    Playing the role of the Polynesian demigod Maui, Dwayne Johnson sang his way to saving the people of Montinui.

5. WOLF ANGEL

IAN WRIGHT (Footballer/Soccer player)
    [​IMG]. . .[​IMG]
    In 1993, Wright wrote and released a single called Do The Right Thing.

The song was co-written and produced by Chris Lowe (of Pet Shop Boys) and reached No. 43 in the UK Singles Chart.

6. WOLF ANGEL

MANNY PACQUIAO: (Boxer):
    upload_2021-7-19_17-36-11.jpeg
    Pacquiao has other interests in addition to boxing and politics: in basketball, he was the player-coach of the Philippine Basketball Association (PBA) team Kia/Mahindra for three seasons before founding the semi-professional Maharlika Pilipinas Basketball League (MPBL).
    He also starred in films and presented television shows. In music, he has released multiple locally-platinum albums and songs; his cover of Dan Hill's "Sometimes When We Touch" peaked at 19 on Billboard's Adult Contemporary top 20 list along with performing several other songs with similar gusto

7. WOLF ANGEL

CAROLINE WAZNIACKI: (Tennis player)
    upload_2021-7-19_17-50-15.jpeg
    Wazniacki provided and contributed vocals on the song Oxygen in 2012.

8. WOLF ANGEL

VINNIE JONES: (Footballer/Soccer player):
    [​IMG]. . . upload_2021-7-19_17-59-29.jpeg
    English-Welsh actor, producer, singer, presenter, and former professional footballer, with perhaps best known for his Iconic Photo with *Paul Gascoigne*.

9. WOLF ANGEL

*Paul Gascoigne*.Feels the presence of Jones,
    [​IMG]

10. WOLF ANGEL

His response? = a "Geordie Rap"
    upload_2021-7-19_18-13-23.jpeg
    PAUL GASCOIGNE (Footballer/Soccer player) :

At the height of "Gazzamania" following the 1990 World Cup, he reached number 2 in the UK Top 40 with "Fog on the Tyne", a collaborative cover with Lindisfarne that earned him a gold disc.

11. WOLF ANGEL

JOHN DALY (Golfer)
    [​IMG]. . [​IMG]

In 2007, Daly provided back-up vocals in the Kid Rock song, "Half Your Age"
    In April 2010, Daly released his second music album called I Only Know One Way on Long Ball Records/Hopesong Digital/GMV Nashville.
    He wrote and co-wrote eight tracks on the album. One track includes Hootie And The Blowfish's lead singer Darius Rucker and a cover of Bob Dylan's "Knockin' On Heaven's Door".

He said about his perspective on his music: "The album itself is really my life. All of the songs have a meaning. Most of the record is happening or has happened in my life. I hope people can relate to some of the troubles I have had along the way. Everyone around the world has problems, and I want to connect with those people."
    Daly's first album, My Life, included guest vocals by Darius, Willie Nelson and Johnny Lee

12. WOLF ANGEL

ANDY COLE: (Footballer/Soccer player)
    upload_2021-7-19_18-32-34.jpeg
    Ex-Manchester United striker Andy Cole celebrated winning the treble in 1999 by recording the song Outstanding.
    Cole clearly isn’t modest about his achievements but he does acknowledge his humble beginnings, such as growing up in a Nottinghamshire mining community in the 1980s.

The rap track uses the same sample as Shaquille O’Neal did in I’m Outstanding.

13. WOLF ANGEL

RANDY SAVAGE: The macho man’ (Wrestler)
    upload_2021-7-19_18-50-43.jpeg
    Savage's music debut was on the WWF-produced WrestleMania: The Album in 1993, where he sang on the song "Speaking from the Heart", one of many songs sung by then-WWF wrestlers on the CD.
    On October 7, 2003, Savage released his debut rap album titled Be a Man. It includes a tribute song to "Mr. Perfect" Curt Hennig, as well as a diss track aimed at Hulk Hogan.
    Savage promoted Be a Man with a concert tour featuring Brian Adams as his bodyguard and Ron Harris as touring manager.
    Just three months before his death on February 2, 2011, EpicLLOYD and Nice Peter made a song along with a video for Epic Rap Battles of History of Hulk Hogan, "Macho Man" Randy Savage and Kim Jong-Il having a rap battle. They noted his death with annotations in the video.

14. Candy Gal

Candy Gal Lifetime Supporter

Oh my I thought I read, can Sports people swing. lol

15. WOLF ANGEL

PETER EBDON (Snooker player)
    [​IMG]
    Better known for his methodical approach, the former world snooker champion recorded a cover of David Cassidy’s I Am A Clown in 1996.

The song didn’t receive much recognition, or adulation, at the time but this didn’t deter him from releasing another single, Fall of Paradise.

16. WOLF ANGEL

KOBE BRYANT (NBL):
    upload_2021-7-19_19-41-15.jpeg , , , [​IMG]
    In high school, Bryant was a member of a rap group called CHEIZAW, named after the Chi Sah gang in the martial arts film Kid with the Golden Arm.
    He performed at a 1997 concert by Sway & King Tech and recorded a verse for a remix of Brian McKnight's "Hold Me".
    Bryant even appeared on Lakers teammate O'Neal's Respect, starting the track "3 X's Dope", though Bryant's name was not listed on the credits.
    The first single, "K.O.B.E'", featured supermodel Tyra Banks singing the hook. The single debuted in January 2000, and was performed at NBA All-Star Weekend that month; though the song was not well received.
    In 2011, Bryant was featured in Taiwanese singer Jay Chou's single "The Heaven and Earth Challenge" (天地一鬥, pronounced "Tian Di Yi Dou")
    The proceeds for downloads of both the single and ringtones were donated to impoverished schools for basketball facilities and equipment

17. WOLF ANGEL

CHRIS WADDLE & GLENN HODDLE: (Football/Soccer players):
    upload_2021-7-19_19-51-39.jpeg
    "Diamond Lights" is a 1987 single by footballers Glenn Hoddle and Chris Waddle, released under their first names, "Glenn & Chris"

The song, by the then-Tottenham Hotspur and England teammates, reached number 12 in the UK Singles Chart in May 1987 and was by far the more successful of two chart releases for the duo
    Despite its success, public opinion of the record's quality has been decidedly negative with the pair's television performance of the song being widely ridiculed.

18. WOLF ANGEL

OSCAR DE LA HOYA (Boxer):
    upload_2021-7-19_20-4-38.jpeg . . . . upload_2021-7-19_20-5-19.jpeg
    In 2000 he released a Grammy-nominated CD, entitled Oscar De La Hoya.

Released through EMI International.
    The self-titled CD is a Latin pop album with 13 tracks in both English and Spanish written by Diane Warren and the Bee-Gees.

19. WOLF ANGEL

CARL LEWIS: (Athlete)
    [​IMG], , , upload_2021-7-19_20-20-16.jpeg
    Forner American track and field athlete, born in Birmingham, Alabama, on July 1, 1961.
    He also recorded music during the 1980's, for example "Break It Up",

a #3 hit in Sweden and #24 in Belgium.

20. WOLF ANGEL

JOHN BARNES: (Football/Soccer player) :
    upload_2021-7-19_20-23-6.jpeg
    As well as taking the Lead for his (Liverpool) team's "Anfield Rap", he also took centre stage for a 30 second Rap in the England teams' collaboration with the band New Order for the song "World in Motion",