can someone figure this out for me

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by alex714, Jan 8, 2005.

1. alex714

alex714 To the Left

well i studied my brains out so i guess that is my best

i loved that course and actually highly enjoyed the lectures. it will be missed and i most definitly tried my best at it!
    :)

2. luvndrumn

luvndrumn Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Well, there are rules that apply to what I did, and, unfortunately, I don't remember them well enough to explain them. I remember them enough to apply them. Rules like 1) working all the known values (your final score and the weighted value of the combined score of your two tests{60%(84.5}) to one side of the equal sign and the unknowns (the weighted value of your final exam{40%(x)}) to the other, and then working those down to a single entity (29.3 on one side and .4x on the other), 2) knowing that .4x can also be stated as 4x over 10, and 3) that you can multiply both side of the equation by 10 (or what ever the denominator is) to give you whole numbers to work with: 29.3 * 10 = 4x. The point of the exercise (and these rules) is to identify what you don't know and what you do know, put what you don't know on one side, what you do know on the other side, resolve what you do know into one number, and then you will know what the unknow value is. Really basic example: 10 = x + 8. What is x? Your example just had more steps to take before you could get to 10 - 8 = x, but the steps/rules never change. You just might require more steps/rules depending on the equation you need to work.:sunglasse

Does anybody have some aspirin?;)

3. luvndrumn

Then don't have negative thoughts - you DID YOUR BEST!! How are you going to beat that??? And even if you didn't do your best, don't have negative thoughts - just dispassionately and truthfully analyze and determine what you could have done better and next time do it!:)

Congratulations, alex. And years from now, the grade won't mean a thing, but the knowledge you use will mean everything. And THAT is learning.

4. alex714

alex714 To the Left

more math!! yikes haha

ah youre brilliant!

quote: Congratulations, alex. And years from now, the grade won't mean a thing, but the knowledge you use will mean everything. And THAT is learning.

thanks luvndrumn :) :)

5. hiro

hiro pursue it

Well congrats Al!!!!

6. missfontella

missfontella Mama of Da Assassins

think of it this way

84.5% of 60 is 50.7

final 80 minus 50.7 is 29.3 points

29.3 points out of a total 40 points is 73.25 %

there is a simple way to do it. I know before I take an exam what I have to get on it to maintain my A. I'm a grade junkie

7. Mr MiGu

Mr MiGu King of the Zombies

why dontcha just email the prof

8. luvndrumn

Dang engineers... always making it seem so simple.;)

9. luvndrumn

Thanks for the compliment, alex, but I'm afraid I'm not brilliant, just have a bit of ehjumakashun. And if you refer to the words in my signature, I'm limitless.;)