Can people who read Nietzsche still be Christian?

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by Fairlight, Sep 4, 2013.

1. Fairlight

Fairlight Banned

I'm serious.Discuss.

2. Piaf

Piaf Senior Member

Yes,ofcourse

3. AmericanTerrorist

AmericanTerrorist Bliss

You can read anything and be anything at the same time.

4. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Why not? They can even agree with him on certain points.

5. Fairlight

Fairlight Banned

Thanks.Because I used to read a lot of Nietzsche when I was doing my degree studying English literature. (We had philosophy modules.) Nietzsche was one of the earliest and most famous critics of Christianity,and although I didn't agree with everything he wrote,I was at times seduced by his style and method.Now I have a born again Christian friend who takes the bible very literally.She is one of those kind of Christians who believe the world was created in six days,and that the bible is literally the word of God.I am however unsure as to whether I should call myself a Christian,even though I profess to believe in the teachings of Christ - more or less.The Christian friend I am talking about here is someone who I would consider as a potential girlfriend,but I feel our belief systems are too far apart.I want to retain my intellectual freedom to read what I want,and to take science seriously.If I were to become this person's boyfriend I know I would have to give up a lot of my beliefs and sacrifice my intellectual honesty.

6. AmericanTerrorist

AmericanTerrorist Bliss

Yeah, you don't have to take everything in the Bible literally- as a matter of fact, I wouldn't! And you can call yourself a Christian if you want to and no one else can tell you you can't believe this or that other thing or interpret things as you want to interpret them.
    Religion is ACTUALLY- when it all comes down to it... a deeply personal thing... about personal experiences. I don't listen to other people who tell me I should believe things a certain way because I know I have my own spiritual beliefs and they are between me and my higher power and no one else has the right to judge...
    hope that helps!

7. thedope

thedope glad attention Lifetime Supporter

As far as people getting along the evidence of the companionable far outweighs the evidence of personal belief. It is not my job to be anyone's friend, (as to forgoing intellectual honesty), I like friendly people.

8. Asmodean

As usual your slightly unconventional use of the english language makes me have to read your post more than once. I'm sure you make sense as usual but I'm not sure I understand what you are saying here, dope. If you could reword it I would appreciate it.

9. thedope

Of course. People of different faiths often end up companions. I don't find being in jail attractive as a significant other becomes your jailer with the idea that you must behave or conceive things in a certain way to be worthy of their love. I like the abundantly lovely.

10. AmericanTerrorist

AmericanTerrorist Bliss

lol @ Asmodean. (and, yes, really)....

and thedope- once reworded, I agree.

11. daisymae

daisymae Senior Member

...there's nothing Nietzsche couldn't teach ya 'bout the raising of the wrist...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_WRFJwGsbY"]Monty Python Live at the Hollywood Bowl - Philospher's Song - YouTube

12. Asmodean

Ok, did 3 people like your post so rapidly or was that all me? :D Thanks for clarifying, I see where you were coming from now (and find myself even agreeing)!

13. thedope

Another way to say what I said is this,
    When being told that his mother was outside to see him he said who are my mother and my brother, those who do the will of my father in heaven.

14. Asmodean

That seems a bit cryptic from here.

15. thedope

It is the two thousand year old vernacular and level of mental association that makes it seem so. As i translated it, it became easily understood at an experiential level.

16. thedope

The will of my father, in heaven or otherwise is that I be happy. And as well as above so below as to left also to the right.

My biological father could be a jerk and to him I would owe no loyalty as he was not loyal to me.

The admonition to honor your father and mother becomes license to enslave minds if you do not conceive the father in the sun and the mother in the earth that your days be long in the land or on the earth.

17. autophobe2e

autophobe2e Senior Member

people who read anything can be anything, in fact, in many cases i often subscribe to the view that you shouldn't call yourself anything UNTIL you have read the opposing arguments to your position, much like some christian theologians who say you cannot truly call yourself a christian until your faith has been tested.

people with opposing views often make excellent friends or partners, a healthy dialogue between different positions is always good.

On the other hand, i would NEVER be in a relationship, or even a friendship, with someone who wouldn't let me read something because it disagreed with their intellectual worldview.

18. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Fairlight. My aunt once told me that when confronted with a dilemma, that if there's ANY doubt--always say no. You can change your mind later.Dilemma=A predicament that seemingly defies a satisfactory conclusion. (satisfactory is the key here.)

19. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

In truth, there was only one Christian, and he died on the cross - Friedrich Nietzsche

Hotwater

20. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

Another intriguing question...Can people who read Nietzche still be a philosopher?

I haven't read a ton of Nietzche but enough for him to make it into my Sig quote. He seems kind of like the punk rock philosopher, deconstructs a lot of institutions.

I'm not sure why you would read Nietzche if you had an unwavering Christian view, but I don't know if there is anything against it.