can people who practice yoga still be Christian?

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by cynthy160, Sep 4, 2013.

1. cynthy160

cynthy160 Senior Member

2. bird_migration

bird_migration ~

3. IamnotaMan

IamnotaMan I am Thor. On sabba-tickle. Still available via us

Anyone who claims to be a Christian, then claims that yoga can't have a part in Christianity must be a complete nutjob.

4. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

Actually the article is quite good.
    I am surprised at the author's understanding of Yoga and Hinduism, I was expecting a rudimentary approach.

He is quite correct when he states the purpose of each type of Yoga, Union with the forgotten Divine, which was never separate.

The basic problem with Christianity, only they have the truth.
    True.
    Their truth anyway.
    Or elevating it, depending on your view.
    I think it's called religious tolerance.
    That is true.
    And we're off to the races!

5. magic_rocks

magic_rocks ٱللهِ ٱلرّ

Swami Sri Yukteswar Giri, the guru of the famous Paramahansa Yogananda, wrote a book in 1894 called The Holy Science which is a book of comparative religion, containing parallel passages from the Bible and the Upanishads and it also contains clarifications on the misunderstanding of Indian astrologers of their almanacs, pointing out that the duration of each Yuga is much shorter in length than is otherwise supposed, equating it to the length of the precession of the equinoxes rather than well over a million years. He claims that we are in the third (or Dvapara) Yuga rather than the fourth, or Kali Yuga. His comparisons and explanations specifically of the book of Revelations are quite interesting, and it remains one of my favorite books. I suppose it would only really appeal to Christians who take direct responsibility for encountering mystical experiences or of the Gnostic type; anyway I'd still recommend reading it to anybody. Janja, if you read this, you should look for yourself. I almost hesitate to say that I've read this book on high doses of psychedelics in the past, and in one case I even underwent some kind of shamanic therianthropy, a metamorphosis which left with me the unbelievable impression that I'd become a jaguar. I know that sounds completely ridiculous and insane, and seemingly has nothing to do with the matter at hand.. at the time it made sense and nothing like that has ever happened again.

[​IMG]

6. Piaf

Piaf Senior Member

Okay.

7. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Yes, of course they can. From the link in the op:

For most people I know who practiced yoga it was not focussed on a supernatural being at all, let alone something different than God. So I'd say it's only a problem for christians who make it a problem because they regard yoga as demonic and not for christians in general who might not be bothered with what this specific person finds demonic about yoga.

8. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

Uhhhmm, ahhh,
    lot's of popular misconceptions presented there, but why would I expect anything else.
    Why would I expect those opposed to it to give it deeper consideration.

You were surprised at his understanding of Hinduism, well that's kind of a bigoted and prejudicial remark, now isn't it.
    Too bad you didn't attempt to get a fuller understanding of Christianity before you penned your statements.:(

9. AmericanTerrorist

AmericanTerrorist Bliss

10. Piaf

Piaf Senior Member

Yoga is okay, if it is practiced STRICTLY as a form of exercise, s no spiritual aspects.
    Otherwise it is definitely incompatible with Christianity.

11. Manservant Hecubus

Manservant Hecubus Master of Funk and Evil

My hubby worked with a kid this summer that had a pile of 'don't do this' restrictions that included yoga. My husband being the 'kid whisperer' when it comes to special needs kids is known for getting kids to push beyond thier perceived limitations, had the kid doing yoga.
    Mom got mad! It wasn't a barrier for the kid, the mom just thought that yoga was seriously EVIL and it would jeopardize his soul.

12. thedope

thedope glad attention Lifetime Supporter

I see all branches of self realization technology to be a universal curriculum coming in many
    forms.

Yoga's study of the human energy system is eminently complimentary to the statements,
    it's desire is for you but you must learn to master it, or you must first bind the strong man.

My yoke, (yoga,) is easy and my burden light, (enlightenment)

13. Heat

Heat Smile, it's contagious! :) Lifetime Supporter

People take yoga for many reasons, most have little to do with the teachings rather they have to do with the health benefits of yoga. Those are a benefit to anyone who is looking to make a change in their health. From breathing to stretching to nutrition to meditation, they will assist in a healthier life.

When teaching if it becomes about converting that is ego. If a person leaves the class with a personal benefit that is what the teaching should be. That goes for any teaching. If someone says they have all the answers then it is probably a good indicator to walk away quickly.

I find great irony in this statement. People in general when they are in a formal religion also are there for self enlightenment and peace. They find that through the teachings and through sharing commonality with others of the same beliefs. If we take that further that we are all of god, then the way to god is through self enlightenment and peace. Possibly it is not so far apart.

To take it to the next level if we were to live in enlightenment and peace then we have reached the point that salvation is a given.

This is rather a strange one that many people do not wish to address on a personal level as it is not a comfort zone for most. We are all capable of good and evil and that is truth. Every releigion or belief system is also good and evil depending on how it is applied or doctorines or teachings are interpreted.

I consider anyone who actually lives their faith to be spiritual. There are many who profess faiths that do not live them. That we have to give that a name is where it becomes a problem. We say in life all the time that so and so is a good person. What do we use as a measure for that. Usually it is how they live their life. That is spiritual.

Many who are seeking to be spiritual tend to seek out many forms of religion or beliefs before finding one that meets their need.

I do not personally believe that life is all or nothing. There are benefits to all that we experience in life and if we choose to take the positives and live them it makes us better people. Call that Christian or spiritual or any other label that you wish to but it is still a benefit to that person.

Rather than finding differences in faiths or beliefs if we instead found commonality we might have a better understanding and tolerance of others.

14. MeAgain

Really? How so?
    I wouldn't say I'm opposed to it. Live and let live, I just don't think it has much merit, unless you get into its mystic aspects possibly, but I'd have to study that.

Could be, I was expecting some religious fundamental rant. That didn't really occur as he presented his case very well, and within the context of his beliefs, it was sound logic.
    What did I miss? If you grant that a Christian God created man in his image, and that man is a separate entity from God, then the purpose of any Yoga, which is a yoking to, or union with the Godhead, is anti Christian in that it denies the separation of Creator and created. I thought that was one of the essential features of Christianity.

God is transcendent.
    If you deny this, then you are entering the realm of what he calls, Oneism thus destroying his whole argument.
    IMO.

15. thedope

Mastery is to pick your life up and lay it down at will.

16. MeAgain

This is logically consistent, spirituality does not imply religion. Any true religion is a dogmatic system which exists according to to its own rules and excludes other religions, or they would all be the same religion.
    If we grant his premise that Yoga is a "Oneism" then it sees all religions as the same.

You can practice spirituality without a religion (which could be done with out the Christian religion), and while you can also practice spirituality within a religion, you can't be religious, or Christian, without belonging to a religion, in this case Christianity which would rule out all other religions.

17. thedope

This one tenant of christ teaching you do not apprehend in this analysis and it is the one above, mastery is to pick ones life up and lay it down at will, not according to academic treatment.

18. magic_rocks

magic_rocks ٱللهِ ٱلرّ

The problem with this, is that yoga is in fact entirely spiritual, the body postures came secondary as a means to attain union with the divine by stilling the mind; the postures intended to clean the body and move fluids are a later development.

While you certainly know Janja, that I am not one to speak poorly to somebody about their own religion, I think what you've said here is a sign of a fundamental flaw in thinking; what I mean by this is that one can practice 'yoga' without attaching a 'name' to God, ritual in other words. Yoga in it's pure form is no different than Christian meditation, and both St John of the Cross and St Thomas Aquinas openly stated that meditation is necessary for union with God, in other words, 'not optional'. I believe Augustine held a similar view.

19. Piaf

Piaf Senior Member

I call yoga yoga, and I call meditation meditation.
    I don't see the problem here.

20. Piaf

Piaf Senior Member

I do believe in God, and I am a member of the Catholic church, and I follow its doctrines and teachings.
    We believe in a God, so why would we practice something spiritual without attaching a name to God. I just don't get it.