Can my scalp get used to it

Discussion in 'Body Care' started by redeyedrevolutionary, Feb 6, 2008.

1. redeyedrevolutionary

redeyedrevolutionary Member

So, I haven't showered in a few weeks (no one can tell if i don't let them know... i know i could be called a 'dirty hippie') and my scalp is finally starting to itch. This is the same thing that happened when I first got my dreads.

Anyway, I'm fairly sure that the rest of my body can get along fine, but what I'm wondering is if my scalp can get used to it and stop itching after a while.

Also, are there any real health risks to not bathing? I know a few anarchists who seem to get along fine without it but I just figured I'd ask here.

2. noctiluca

noctiluca Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

make some peppermint tea, and thoroughly rinse your hair and scalp in it. it's what i've done when i've been camping out for protests, and people with dreads tell me it works for them as well!

3. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

I'd suggest rinsing off, to get all the pollution and crap off your skin, including your scalp. It is all like a "proper" shower with the scrubbing, but without soap/detergent.

I take it you have dreads now, so the tea idea is worth a go. If you have parallel hair, comb it out to stimulate the scalp into doing its thing.
    With dreads, do some "scritching" at the roots to loosen shed skin flakes and all.

4. Cate8

Cate8 Senior Member

why exactly, do you not want to bathe?

5. HempMama

HempMama Member

I was wondering your reasons on why you don't want to bathe, but honestly, I doubt there are too many health risks. I would wash occasionally to get germs off of me but over time you might even build up a resistance to some germs making this less of an issue.
    I know when I had dreads that my scalp itched like crazy and the only thing that would temporarily help was cold water and fresh aloe, but I never tried anything else.

6. cheech & chong

cheech & chong Member

To answer your question about your hair eventually getting used to it...the answer is no. I washed my hair with just shampoo and no conditioner for about half a year and it never stopped itching. And in case you decide to start showering again, you need to do it once every 6 days or so, the first few weeks. And then do it every 4 or 3 days. If you start doing it again and shower regulary, its going to make you break out horribly with shit that hurts by touching your face so do the "go easy on it" method.

And I don't know for sure, but it seems like I've been told that going to long without washing your hair will make it more vulnerable to break. BUT that may just be a bunch of bullshit. But keep it in mind if you start loosing hair :)

7. *°GhOsT°LyRiC°*

*°GhOsT°LyRiC°* Supporters HipForums Supporter

im curious to know why you refuse to bathe or wash your hair?

8. green hell

green hell Member

that's fucking disgusting. wash your hair, that's why your scalp is itching. i'm sure people can tell!

are you trying to be cool and make a statement? either way, it's gross gross gross.

9. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

Could we not have all the judgemental stuff, here? we all make choices people disagree with. If you see a problem aside from social, tell him.

For example, I know people who were of the bathing is bougoise mind set who had hair loss because the follicles got impacted, causing the hair to be thinner and more likely to break, and eventually, not be able to grow out of the scalp.
    there are bacterial issues, and straight water with the mechanical scrubbing will help.

Not every one bathes on water: clay is used on severely water restricted areas.

I've used airing powders in my hair when ill. I think they'd be difficult for dreads, however. You have to be able to brush or comb it out, and I don't think mere finger combing would work, without leaving sebum-saturated powder along the dreads.

dabbing the scalp with vinegars could work.

Yes, sebum and oils are natural, but they can be too much of a good thing.
    Oxygen is a good thing to have on your skin.

10. Woodpoppies

Woodpoppies Member

That's interesting I bet their skin looks radiant to !! Clays and mud's have wonderful natural exfoliants and nutrients that help your skin. I don't really know much about it but I think its important for people to open their minds a little bit. :D

11. Opinionated

Opinionated Member

how...exactly do you bathe with clay? that sounds really interesting!

12. haha_wintaaa

haha_wintaaa Member

I'd rinse it out. Anytime your body reacts negatively, it's usually a sign you're not taking care of it in some way or another.
    Also, about the bathing thing. It's good to wash away some of the oils and pollution. It needs to breathe.
    But honestly that doesn't need to be done more than once a week, maybe less. And as far as hair goes, maybe every 2 weeks? Depends on the hair, but yeah. Don't use soaps, ESPECIALLY if you don't typically use them. I washed my hair with some regular shampoo the other day at my friends house, and now my scalp is itchy.

13. Meliai

Meliai Banned

you should probably rinse your hair at least once a week. you're itching because all that dead skin is piling up and needs to be rinsed off. Just run some water over your head for a few minutes and massage your scalp the whole time. or if you're against the idea of running water and showers completely, then massaging your head while dipping it in a clean body of water should do the trick.