Can Hurricanes Cause Earthquakes ?

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by TheGreatShoeScam, Mar 20, 2017.

1. TheGreatShoeScam

TheGreatShoeScam Members

EARTHQUAKE SHAKES PARTS OF 5 NORTHEASTERN STATES

By ROBERT D. McFADDEN

Published: October 20, 1985
    A predawn earthquake centered just north of New York City shook parts of five states and southern Canada yesterday, rattling homes and furniture and rousing thousands of people from sleep with shocks and prolonged rumbling.
    No injuries or major damage were reported in what experts said was a relatively minor, 30-second seismic event with a lesser foreshock. http://www.nytimes.com/1985/10/20/nyregion/earthquake-shakes-parts-of-5-northeastern-states.html?pagewanted=all

Hurricane Gloria September 27, 1985
    [​IMG]

The weight of the water from the storm surge and rain on the land.

Earthquakes can be induced by dams. Globally, there are over 100 identified cases of earthquakes that scientists believe were triggered by reservoirs (see Gupta 2002). The most serious case may be the 7.9-magnitude Sichuan earthquake in May 2008, which killed an estimated 80,000 people and has been linked to the construction of the Zipingpu Dam

https://www.internationalrivers.org/earthquakes-triggered-by-dams

Its always been my theory that hurricane Gloria triggered the northeast earthquake, I was real young but I said the weight of the water from the storm triggered something to give and caused the quake.

2. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

“Only fools, liars, and charlatans predict earthquakes”

Charles Richter

Hotwater

2 people like this.
  3. Wu Li Heron

Wu Li Heron Members

They've actually started making real progress towards understanding and predicting earthquakes in recent years. There is no single cause for an earthquake, but a variety of different causes and different types of earthquakes. Static friction increases over time as particles in the earth will continuously form chemical bonds between each other and the north east US has relatively few earthquakes. Whether this earthquake was caused by a hurricane of not is debatable, but certainly hurricanes possess tremendous power and I can easily imagine one in the right circumstances setting off an earthquake.

Some 90% of all the worst earthquakes are in the "ring of fire" where the tectonic plates meet and circumvent the pacific ocean and the last fifty years have seen a dramatic increase in their severity with Chile, for example, having a 10.0 earthquake which is as high as the scale goes. Many have speculated that the increase is due to glaciers melting around the world and releasing their pressure on the ground, but earthquakes also often seem to occur in series as if they being triggered by circulating turbulence in the molten core of the earth.

4. ~Zen~

~Zen~ Ancient Mariner Administrator

Well, historically there may be some evidence.

In one week back in the 1800's there was a major hurricane that wiped out the Virgin Islands, followed by a major earthquake and tsunami that leveled the remains of Charlotte Amalie.

Sifting thru the sands of time might show more correlations between these two dynamic forces of the planet that we can not control.

5. christophereverson

christophereverson Members

It feels really bad to hear the news regarding all the damage caused due to hurricanes and storms. Everyone wishes to protect their families, i.e. their old parents, children, their pets, and their property from any difficulty, be it storms or thefts or any other natural calamities. As it is rightly said that prevention is better than cure, being prepared for such incidents is always better. The small changes made in the house can act as preventive measures. I have a relative in Florida who said that she did the roofing of her house from a local contractor, got hurricane impact doors Miami installed and also made changes in the attic which helped her a lot. We cannot have control over all the things, but can definitely try our best to take prevention.

6. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

I've never heard of hurricanes being tied to earthquakes, but I've read several articles linking the position of the moon with an increased occurrence of quakes.

https://www2.usgs.gov/faq/categories/9827/3354