Can guns save you from suppression?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Balbus, Jul 21, 2020.

1. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

I don't know who you are referring to when you say people don't want other people having guns. In the U.S. the Supreme Court has upheld the right to own guns...but they also have defined what type of guns and who gets to own them.
    I own several myself, but I do support the government telling me what type of gun I'm allowed to have and under what circumstances.
    For instance I don't own an AR15, Thompson sub machine gun, M16 derivative; or any other weapon that could be defined as an assault weapon.

I don't understand your connection of Trump, the police, and the Gestapo in relation to guns.

2. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

I don't think he understands that Republicans cater to the rich and powerful while the Democrats are all inclusive, they even support the poor and disadvantaged. As the poor and disadvantaged outnumber the rich they tend to vote Democratic in areas where they are forced to live in large numbers, like the inner cities. Hence those areas go Democratic as those people know the Republicans ain't gonna do shit for them.

snowtiggernd likes this.
  3. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

The Nazis came to power in Germany in January 1933 and established a dictatorship, ending the 12-year German experiment with democracy, the Weimar Republic. Yet the police, who had been charged with defending the Weimar Republic, were integrated relatively easily into the Nazi regime. There was neither a wholesale purge nor a wholesale resignation of policemen.

Most policemen in 1933 were not Nazis, though they were overwhelmingly conservative. They thought of themselves as neutral professionals and as impartial servants of the law. Their personal politics were supposed to be irrelevant to their duties. Yet members of the police proved willing to support a Nazi government that destroyed democracy in Germany. The police in particular and conservatives in general supported the Nazis in 1933. Conservatives came to view a Nazi dictatorship as a solution not just to the weaknesses of the Weimar Republic but to a whole series of professional difficulties peculiar to the police.

Oh and the Gestapo was not officially established until April 27, 1933 after the Nazis came to power

I believe the Hilfspolizei was the name of the police auxiliaries

MeAgain likes this.
  4. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

Isn’t it interesting that the right wingers don’t seem to be putting up any counter argument against what I’ve put forward but instead seem more concerned with nit picking over the Nazis.

We are not talking about the police after the Nazis came to power and where increasingly to have a government job and be a police officer you needed to be a member of the Nazis Party.

Most German police officers in 1933 were not Nazis, but they were overwhelmingly right leaning conservatives. Hitler appealed to many of them because he posed as a champion of law and order, and claimed he would uphold traditional German values. Hitler seemed like the logical candidate for many of them at that time.

In 2016 a survey of US police officers indicated that 84% said they would vote for Donald Trump (Hillary was supported by 8%, Libertarian candidate Gary Johnson received 5%, and "other" received 3%).

MeAgain likes this.
  5. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

I’m not saying what we have here is the same thing as the rise of Nazis Germany but i think it should be pointed out that the idea that a right leaning police force and armed right wing citizens will be a guarantee against the introduction of tyranny is I think rather naïve. That if anything if the authoritarian regimes seeking power are right wing they are actually more likely to be willing to go along with it or even support it.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2020
    MeAgain and unfocusedanakin like this.
  6. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Would you own an AR15 if it wasn't considered an "assault" weapon? Because that's what all guns are. I really don't see the justification behind owning certain guns but not others because of a label or why it's any different. People shoot people with guns. It does not matter what the gun is, you can kill somebody with a 22, you could make your own gun in your tool shed that would also do the job.

7. Ajay0

Ajay0 Guest

The Afghan tribes have been using guns for centuries in order to promote their sovereignty, engage in vendettas and for intertribal warfare. However they have not yet evolved from the context of tribalism to nationhood even now in the twentyfirst century, and frequent shootings, bomb blasts, high casualties are a way of life over there.

Yes, they have used their guns and martial temperament to maintain their independence from tyrants and foreign invaders, but in the process they have also ended up themselves as tyrants in the form of the Taliban and so on, and enforcing their regressive ideologies on the Afghan common people with the power of the gun.

So the issue is cultural and sociological deficiencies that is the root cause of the problem.

8. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

Large urban areas vs small rural

Cities vote Democratic usually with the exception of maybe some major ones like Dallas.

The right wing works so hard to misrepresent crime statistics to try and say its Democratic policy. It's simply not the case. In a town of 500 people where most people work on their farm so they have income there is less crime vs cities with the unemployed

Do you see the difference?

snowtiggernd likes this.
  9. unfocusedanakin

Texas is looking pretty blue VG even though they rarely vote it.

As COVID-19 Increases in Texas, Crime is Rising, Too - Reform Austin

In March, Dallas Police Crime reported that aggravated assault not connected to family violence is up more than 38 percent. Business burglary is up by nearly 15 percent. Residential burglary is up 10 percent.

This is continuing a trend of increasingly violent outbreaks of crime in Dallas in 2019.

Violent crime – particularly murders – in Dallas is continuing to rise after it spiked to the highest level in nearly 10 years last year. In January, Dallas police reported 18 murders in just in one month. These homicides have been primarily concentrated in tough neighborhoods — Oak Cliff, Pleasant Grove and Southeast Dallas, which includes Valentine Street in the Bonton neighborhood, where 1-year-old Rory Norman was shot and killed at home in January.

Dallas city officials, including police chief U. Reneé Hall, have been working to engage citizens in town hall meetings and conversations to figure out what’s going on in their neighborhoods to lessen violent crime. Hall, during “listening tours” across Dallas neighborhoods, has called the violence in Pleasant Grove and other neighborhoods “unacceptable.” But other officials have said the city is “not going in the right direction.”

10. stormountainman

stormountainman Soy Un Truckero

The white supremacists want guns to keep the colored people oppressed.

11. stormountainman

Today in Louisville Kentucky the gun slingers showed up to support the police against Black Lives protestors. Through out history, the white supremacists have used guns to oppressed colored people.

MeAgain and snowtiggernd like this.
  12. unfocusedanakin

The only time the NRA wanted gun laws was when black people starred open carrying and talking of self defense in the 60's.
    It's only a right for white people.

MeAgain likes this.
  13. Tishomingo

Tishomingo Members

Gestapo is short for Geheime Staatspolizei: Secret States Police. www.britannica.com/topic/Gestapo Gestapo According to the wikipedia version, it was abbreviated by a post office clerk for a franking stamp and became known as the "Gestapo".[4][5] He originally wanted to name it the Secret Police Office (Geheimes Polizeiamt), but the German initials, "GPA", were too similar to those of the Soviet State Political Directorate (Gosudarstvennoye Politicheskoye Upravlenie, or GPU." Gestapo - Wikipedia Accord
    The Gestapo (2)
    The History Place - Triumph of Hitler: The Gestapo is Born
    I haven't seen a contrary account.

14. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

The only reason that idiots take over, is because people can't be bothered to get off their ass and oppose them.

15. Tishomingo

Tishomingo Members

There seem to be gun toting blacks, as well, in an African-American milita. The NFAC (Not Fucking Around Coalition. uh oh!
    Three Injured in Shooting as Rival Armed Militias Converge on Louisville
    I'm so glad I live in a boring community nobody ever heard of where nothing ever happens and nobody gives a shit about anything!

Idlewild and stormountainman like this.
  16. stormountainman

I'm in Indiana where the Indians (Miami, Delaware, Huron) lived before being pushed a second time to Oklahoma. I live near the shrine of Chief Little Turtle. His body was removed from the ground so that Doctor Griswold could have a sewer installed. Griswold only kept the skull and the rest of the greatest Miami Chief was thrown into the Saint Joe River. Three silver crosses were found in Chief Little Turtle's grave. They had been a gift from one of the white presidents of the white people. The silver crosses were given to the sewer installers. Little Turtle was the leader who gave the army of the United States its first defeat. Today there is a statue which marks his former grave site, on Griswold street. The Miami in Indiana were not given a reservation of their own, like the Miami who were relocated to Oklahoma. They now have a small office in Elkhart. They also seem Institutionalized and very accepting of the white Christians who rule them. Indiana is now very white and Christian and most of the people are of Germanic stock. They are also for the most part Republicans and care little about anything other then what impacts their immediate lives. They don't care if the United States mines Nicaragua's harbors, invades Viet Nam or Iraq, or clear cuts the last of Alaska's rain forest. The locals here don't give a shit about anything either.

MeAgain and snowtiggernd like this.
  17. Idlewild

Idlewild Members

I was thinking about starting a goFundMe fundraiser to help Blacks arm themselves. In today's society, it seems like if you're not armed, you're not respected. Non-violence is all well and good, unless of course you want to get assassinated like MLK. If more Blacks were walking around with AR-15s, police would be less inclined to be violent towards them.

(Just kidding. I never seriously considered the fundraiser. :) )

18. stormountainman

The police are nice and friendly with you because you are white. I have been stopped by the police over fifty times in the last six years, because my skin is dark and brown. The police stopped me to search my car, and gave me some shit because my diabetic supplies were on my dash board. The police stopped me to give me shit because my windows did not have enough ice and snow scraped off ... according to the white cop's opinion. One time a man went to a beauty school and shot his own girlfriend who had wanted to break up with him. He shot her six times them shot and killed himself. She lived to tell what happened. There were about fifty people at that beauty school who witnessed what happened. One of the cops came to my house about an hour after the incident, to give me shit about it. That cop was white like your friends.

19. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

The Klan was one of the the first anti-2nd amendment organizations

They didn’t like black people owning guns because it made terrorizing them more difficult.

If you know history, the KKK originated with the support of the Democratic Party. This explains the deep seeded roots of gun control within the DNC.

BTW, isn’t saying “colored people” a bigoted term? ;)

Last edited: Jul 26, 2020
  20. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

Here's some perspective on that Why Did the Democratic and Republican Parties Switch Platforms? | Live Science, though I'm not sure which years your reference pertains to. They used to be in different roles too! Republicans and Democrats switched roles in history. And the South used to be Democrat I think. May be wrong about it, but I'm sure I've heard the term "Southern Democrats" used to refer to politicians from the South who were in fact Democrats. Today the South is typically a red area akin to republican politics.