Can - Future Days

Discussion in 'Electronic and Experimental Music' started by SonicYouthFan, Mar 20, 2008.

1. SonicYouthFan

SonicYouthFan Member

This is one of my all time favorite albums from this group. It is by far their most beautiful sounding and their most oceanic sounding of their discography. I love the tropical feel they achieve throughout this album. Karoli's guitar leads are at its finest showing just how much range he really had. Holger's bass propulses in intricate yet full sounding grooves interlocking with Jaki's mind blwing african polyrythyms with never fail to blow me away. Irmin's keys really help bring out the aquatic, intense feel in the sound their desiring and adds to the whole richness of the album. My favorite song is the title track with its intricate tropcial jazz rythyms but i also really enjoy "Spray" as well. Spray gives me the feel of some wild headhunters running through a rainforest ready to spear unwanted tourist's. Its probally the most dangerous sounding song of the album. "Moonshake" might be one of Can's most inviting songs theyve ever made but also has a mid breakdown of random machine noises that might turn a head or two. The final track "Bel Air" a 20 minute grand finale of music that really gets into the whole mood of the album moments of peace and tranquility and other moments of chaotic, aerial like experimentation gone hay wire. The greatest part of this band is when you think how could they ever get back to the forefront they somehow pull it off and really open minds of sonic possibility. This is a good album to start with if youd want to get into this radical group. Its one of thier finest featuring Damo Suzuki which is by far my favorite vocalist of him and Mooney. His vocals arent to promiment on the album but i feel that when they do show up there all in the right places done in the right way. If your headed to the tropics anytime soon you might want to bring Future Days along.

2. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

It was my favorite Can album at one point. I think my favorite now would have to be Ege Bamyasi. But Future Days is one of those albums that is essential to listen to with headphones. It has many textural and sonic qualities that really make for a heady listen. It blows anything Pink Floyd (a band that has drawn many comparisons to Can) was doing around that time out of the water.

I do agree that Can's music has the ability to teleport, especially when listened to with good headphones and closed eyes (and perhaps even some mind-altering substances). Each album they did has its own atmosphere, and Future Days is among their most atmospheric. I still prefer the darker, somewhat bleaker sounds of the previous album, however.

I was reading that the weather had a lot to do with the atmosphere of the two aforementioned albums. While Ege was recorded in the bleak and rainy summer of 1972, Future Days was recorded after the band had just come back from vacationing the following summer, each at different locations. I know Michael had vacationed in Portugal the summer before recording the album. He once said in an interview that he got the idea for his guitar work on 'Bel Air' while envisioning the outline of the cliffs near the shores in Portugal.

3. SonicYouthFan

SonicYouthFan Member

That makes alot of sense what Karolis was picturing during Bel Air... you cant help but think of tranquil waves crashing on a beach. I do agree with you on Ege Bamyasi i really think they found a new focus on that album and the cover fits the mood of the album perfectly, an album packed with sound and capped tightly in an amazing way.

4. SonicYouthFan

SonicYouthFan Member

I'm very happy I found out about this group. I have Tago Mago, Ege Bamyasi, Future Days, and Monster Movie. I have to get Delay, and Soon over Babaluma next... its great to have Can when formulated music just gets so old hat.

5. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

Don't forget Soundtracks from 1970. That is another great album.

Another album, which is quite rare, is The Peel Sessions. Highly recommended if you can find it. It features the group's performances on the John Peel Show in the 1970s. The sound quality is superb, and they were an excellent band live.

[​IMG]

Track Listings

1. Up The Bakerloo Line With Anne (18:48)
    2. Return To BB City (8:26)
    3. Tape Kebab (8:58)
    4. Tony Wanna Go (14:31)
    5. Geheim (Half Past One) (6:42)
    6. Mighty Girl (8:41)

Total Time: 66:11
    1973 - February 20 (#1)
    1974 - January 29 (#4); October 8 (#2, 3)
    1975 - May 14 (#5, 6)

6. SonicYouthFan

SonicYouthFan Member

i did forget about Soundtracks.... i think Mother Sky is worth the buy alone. I'll try to see what i can do with The Peel Sessions... I think i just want to have a redicoulsly huge record collection throughout my time i get so much joy from it all.

7. ghost of rat

ghost of rat Senior Member

CAN, dam, I have to get that album, I love tago mago and soon over babuluma, didnt realy like Ege Bamyasi- songs were too short.

8. SonicYouthFan

SonicYouthFan Member

how short is to short? pinch is almost 10 minutes... my favorite song from the album.

9. ghost of rat

ghost of rat Senior Member

^Well I mean,- Can works so well at improvising and just jamming- like Tago mago- thers really long soungs that slowly evolve and change and 'progress'
    But on Ege Baymaisi, the songs are just to short, and they dont have time to have extedned jams- the songs just float around a little and dont go anywhere. Just my opinion.

Anyhow Ive been meaning to buy this album for the past year and never got around to it lol. But I must now.

10. SonicYouthFan

SonicYouthFan Member

yea i suppose they could extend longer but i think some peices of music are that much better when your wanting more of that song.... If you want extended jams you should look into Future Days...especially the last song "Bel Air" talk about some awesomely captured improvisation. Can know how to jam so well and still be sounding fresh while having that coming out of nowhere effect.