Can Black People Be Racist?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by TheSamantha, Sep 24, 2016.

1. TheSamantha

TheSamantha Member

At first I thought black people couldn't be racist. I'm black. Say I hate white people. Now what? I could move to a poor ghetto, work for ghetto people, marry someone who's been to jail...or I could isolate myself and get on the dole. I thought black people can't be racist because they're not the dominant group. They're not the majority. Race plus power equals racism. Racism is prejudice and discrimination. No one is worried about some trailer park guy who chews tobacco and tells racist jokes. They're afraid of the cops, the judges, the CEOs. White privilege is the power to be treated as an individual and given the benefit of the doubt. My ex is white. He had crabs in a barrel syndrome. He brought people down to make himself feel good. But I figured HE ALONE had crabs in a barrel syndrome. If he's black it becomes BLACK people have crabs in a barrel syndrome. So I won't live near them, I don't want my kids to go to school with them, I don't want to date them, I won't hire them, and I'll be more inclined to arrest them, and I can't figure out why they won't go back to Africa. That's the logic.

But then I recalled The Knockout Game. "Wrong hood bitch." A group of black guys beat up a white girl. There are knockout games, riots, flash mobs, incitements to violence, talk of a revolution, resisting arrest, robbery, terrorism, and mostly, a dull garden salad instead of a melting pot. So racism is prejudice based on race. You don't have to discriminate to be racist. Black people can be racist, maybe not as much, but "yes we can."

2. F6C

F6C Members

Anyone can be racist regardless of colour or creed. I've no time for racists personally and judge everyone on their actions and deeds rather than anything else

3. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

They can be just as much. But... how would you measure that anyway?

And also: if it's not discrimination in any way it is not really a big matter, right?

Sure there are different forms of racism but discrimination or mistreating someone (this includes prejudice) just because they happen to be another race/have another ethnic beackground is what makes racism such a big deal.
    It is the discrimination that makes racism problematic and annoying. And of course now at times some people are overly focussing on racism and that on itself becomes a problem or at the least very annoying.
    Otherwise we would for example never have an argument about a joke made in good fun about another person's skin color or race/ethnic background. Now we have sometimes because people have a problem with everything 'racist' and feel they have to point out
    [​IMG]

The statement that black people can't be racist is stupid. I don't see how a smart person would seriously have that conclusion. The argument that they can't be to the same extent as others (white people :p) because they are a minority doesn't hold up either.

1 person likes this.
  4. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

Any Person Regardless Of Skin Colour Can Behave In A Racist Manner......../Thread..... :)

Cheers Glen.

Eric! and Irminsul like this.
  5. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Dumbest. Thread. Of. The. Year.

Eric!, Orison and guerillabedlam like this.
  6. TheSamantha

TheSamantha Member

How do you figure?

7. TheSamantha

TheSamantha Member

Did you think I said black people can't be racist? If so, please go back and reread what I wrote.

1 person likes this.
  8. TheSamantha

TheSamantha Member

The Knockout Game of black racism or the Skinhead curb stomp of white racism aren't discrimination, but they're friggin serious.

9. Meliai

Meliai Banned

She's kinda right - anyone can hate anyone for whatever stupid reason they want, so in that sense anyone can be racist..but who cares if black dude down the street doesnt like you because you're white, as long as it remains their own secret prejudice?

Racism can really only inflict damage to a group as a whole when it is done systemically, and to this extent the majority is usually going to be the ones in power and the only group capable of systemic racism.

Not to say black people arent capable of the same type of systemic oppression that white people have done to black people from slavery through segregation and past the Civil Rights movement, but they havent been in a position of power to do so.

But i do think all humans are capable of being assholes equally regardless of race, religion, sex

Eric!, Mattekat and magickman like this.
  10. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

I Draw Your Attention To My Post...... :)

Cheers Glen.

11. Asmodean

No, you said they can be racist but maybe not as much as others. I responded to exactly that, so I obviously read it just fine.

12. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

The problem with her being right is that "people" can be plural or represent a singular.
    The idea in favor of blacks being unable to be racist is because there aren't enough. But south Africa shows numbers don't matter. It is who is in power and there are blacks in power at every level of the government.

Eric! and TheSamantha like this.
  13. Asmodean

^
    That's a good example that black people CAN be just as racist indeed. But I would also say it doesn't even depend on if they're the dominant group or have the majority or not.

It does matter in regards to the consequences of course (as the one in charge can obviously oppress more easily). But it doesn't mean the group that happens to be the minority (or just not the dominant one) is somehow always less racist. Like that's a principle or something. It is not. They can have just as much of a racist mindset (or an even worse/bigger one) than the ones in charge.

14. TheSamantha

TheSamantha Member

No, you didn't.

15. Asmodean

Lol well maybe you should take your own advice and reread it. The first sentence of my first post in this thread is a direct reference to it ...and the last sentence in that post actually as well :D

16. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

The mainstream belief among scientists these days is that race is a social construct without biological meaning...which, to me, makes racism all that much more infuriating. It is hatred based on nothing substantial. [​IMG]

17. StellarCoon

StellarCoon Dr. Professor

If the Nazis had their way, and all non-aryans were wiped from the face of the earth, there would still be racism.

If all non-blacks were wiped from the face of the earth, there would still be racism.

Eric! and TheSamantha like this.
  18. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

OMG black people totally cannot be racist. All whites are evil and oppressive. They are all born racist. Black people just want to live and whites are killing them every day!!!! White privilege must end!!!!

1 person likes this.
  19. TheGhost

TheGhost Auuhhhhmm ...

This just reminded me of the chinese poster for the last Star Wars movie. [​IMG]

20. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

Racism of non-white people is often downplayed by the media. It exists. We are seeing a lot of it in Charlotte right now.