Campaign for Real Meat

Discussion in 'Let Food Be Your Medicine' started by nimh, May 19, 2006.

1. nimh

nimh ~foodie~

Support thread only please. i'm not interested in debating veg vs carnivore~we get enough of that elsewhere.

this is more of a 'be careful of the kind of meat you're eating' kind of thread.

gotta go, but plan to come back to this idea later.

2. themnax

themnax Senior Member

well i'm not sure what you're meaning by unreal meat but i do know that most fast food hamburgers are in the neighborhood of half texpro (textured vegetable protien i.e. soy) and we know there are whole bunches of probablems with soy.

=^^=
    .../\...

3. nimh

nimh ~foodie~

by real meat, i mean biodynamically raised, fed grass not grains, wild, _not_ pumped full of steriods, antibiotics, vaccinations, etc...

i have to agree with you about the problems with soy. that stuff is like plastic. i wouldnt be surprised if it was the cause of strange growths like fibroids.

4. nimh

nimh ~foodie~

ps, i had some of the BEST wild meat i've ever had a week and a half ago. fresh trout pulled out of a pristine river in the middle of the bc mountians. amazing. even my mildly autistic child who wont/cant/doesnt go near anything that even vaguely resembles fish was eating it ravenously. amazing. that's all i can say. :)

5. Samhain

Samhain Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

whats wrong with grain and remember I'm a complete novice at this, so word your reply accordingly!!!
    S

6. nimh

nimh ~foodie~

hm, well, feedlot animals are fed grains because the grains make them really fat really fast (guess what that does to a person!). grainfed animals are lacking in the omega 3's and have a much higher pesticide residue than free-ranged animals.

7. Bilby

Bilby Lifetime Supporter and Freerangertarian Super Moderator

I live in the Murrumbidgee irrigation area that is fed from water the Snowy Mountains scheme. I have spoken to farmers . They have told me that fedlots are totally unnecessary for the production of quality beef. All that is needed to bring the cattle or sheep up to standard for eating is to graze the stock on irrigation grass for a couple of weeks.

What are the food labelling laws like in in Canada? The laws are quite strict in Australia and the UK although food fraud has been known to happen in both countries. From what I have read food labelling laws in USA are laughably worthless.

If animal rights activists want to put an end to feedlots, the answer is not to go vegan but to buy free range meat and campaign for stricter food labelling laws.

8. nimh

nimh ~foodie~

definitely. i'd also add 'buy local' to that list. if you know the farmer who raised your meat, then you know exactly what goes into it and how it's treated. you also pump dollars back into your local community and arent adding to global warming by contributing to the petrochemical expenses of shipping meat halfway around the globe.