Camp stoves

Discussion in 'Camping/Outdoor Living' started by fem_fatale, Feb 28, 2018.

1. fem_fatale

fem_fatale Members

I do a lot of backpacking and bike touring. I’ve been using an MSR Whisperlight for years. I think it’s over kill for me. I really just need to boil water quickly.
    Any recommendations?
    Thanks

Joe90 likes this.
  2. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

3. fem_fatale

fem_fatale Members

Obviously you can’t always have a camp fire.

kinulpture likes this.
  4. bft4evr

bft4evr Senior Member

Look at the MSR pocket Rocket 2

fem_fatale likes this.
  5. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

I still have an Optimus 8R like this which I always found to be more dependable in cold weather than a Whisperlite. It should work at all altitudes. It uses all kinds of fuel.
    [​IMG]
    But it's heavier unless you just use the fuel tank it comes with and don't bring extra. Also noisier, it sounds like a jet engine.
    I'm surprised at the cost of these things today, they're still made. I paid $20.00 now they're about $150 to $200.

I have an aluminum case model so it's a bit lighter.
    You clean it by turning the knob to full open and a needle comes up through the jet. So it self cleans. I've had mine for 40 years and taken it all over the Appalachian mountains. Never failed to light, never needed worked on.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
    Toker, Joe90, Asmodean and 2 others like this.
  6. MeAgain

But If I was going hiking today I'd look into a wood stove, if you were going somewhere wood was available.

There's instructions on the web on how to make your own.

Joe90 and fem_fatale like this.
  7. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I have one of these portable butane stoves. It's really light weight and what I think would benefit you. Can boil water, small fry pan etc. Just needs a cheap butane can and you're in business and they're really cheap too. Less than 10€ I remember. And a pack of 5 cans even less, and over a few years now I've only needed 2x cans.

[​IMG]

fem_fatale and Asmodean like this.
  8. machinist

machinist Banned Lifetime Supporter

I have the $20 Primus stove. Weighs 8 oz which is not the lightest, but its a simple durable design and it has a fast boil time because the burner is nice and large. Youre gonna have to pay a lot more money just to shave off a few ounces. Been a great stove I have had it for over a year and use it often.

Joe90 likes this.
  9. tikoo

tikoo Senior Member

You can always have a campfire . Be discreetly illegal , even if it's lonesome .

10. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Inflation?

MeAgain likes this.
  11. MeAgain

I forgot about the Optimus Svea 123R

Last edited: Mar 1, 2018
    Joe90 and fem_fatale like this.
  12. fem_fatale

fem_fatale Members

No way. My favorite place to explore is the Methow valley in northern Washington. The wild fires have been awful there . I could never be that selfish and irresponsible.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2018
    kinulpture and (deleted member) like this.
  13. fem_fatale

fem_fatale Members

Some great suggestions folks. Thanks. I’m going to look further into some of those.

elseyk4671 likes this.
  14. tikoo

tikoo Senior Member

The Forest Service says the safest camp-stove is fueled with a gel . When all other fires are banned this
    is the one cooking fire that may still be allowed . One familiar commercial gel is Sterno . There are others ,
    and an eco-biofuel can be easily be homemade - as well the stove can be made from a tin can .
    Cooking heat : 9000 btu .

15. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

They make those single burner things. I used one when I went on wilderness course during boarding school. Is there a Dick's Sporting Goods where you live? They probably have them there, or other sporting goods stores. Anywhere they do camping I would imagine.

EDIT: The ones we had were like this one.

[​IMG]

Joe90 and Franky29 like this.
  16. Varmint

Varmint Member

The small, folding wood-burners are great as well as pretty simple. So is my beloved pop-can stove, which burns alcohol, including HEAT in yellow or red bottles, EverClear. or denatured alcohol from the paint section of your hardware store. I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the popcan stoves here yet.

17. Varmint

Varmint Member

I should also mention that, when building a popcan stove, you can put some of that gray, non-itchy fiberglass insulation in the can and it will prevent tip-over spills, should you have any. It's a low probability, but then again....low probabilities tend to start awesome conflagrations.

MeAgain else mentioned the SVEA 123 stove, and if you don't want to build a popcan stove and have the cash, I highly recommend one of these. They not only boil, but they also simmer better than any other stove of it's kind, including the Whisperlite style, which I also have used.

Look up the Penny Stove and you should find a link to the original popcan stove. Unlike the originals, I use the outer rim for priming instead of the inner section. I also put a 1/4" hole in the center for filling instead of the small holes. The penny is still mandatory. Enjoy.

18. Joe90

Joe90 Members

The Kelly Kettel made in Ireland around 1880, but still made today. I have the steel version, but you can get the aluminium one even quicker to boil and comes in three sizes too.

19. Joe90

Joe90 Members

Had one off these in 1978, great fun and a good bit of kit. The wind brake is simple but very effective and self-contained. Must improve the boil time too. Outstanding design and use off materials.

20. MeAgain

That Kelly Kettle looks nice. If I still backpacked I'd look into one.

Joe90 likes this.